Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Are we a one man team?

edited September 2019 in General Charlton
We all knew Taylor was important but does today show just how easy it is for the oppo to nullify us without him?

Comments

• The continuous sloppy passing and playing at a much slower tempo had nothing to do with Taylor missing imo. Bruh were limited but we'll organised back 11 and did a professional job on us. 
  • Now will you give him a decent wage RD, because this is what happens when he is not playing. I hope the fan that trod on his toe and called him a tart has been man enough to own up and apologised
  • No of course not. We'll adapt if we have to, just like we did after Grant left by scoring more from midfield. Will still managed to create a few decent chances. The first goal was very important, Birmingham were always going to sit back like that if they scored it.
  • We missed his threat big time .... Hemed and Leko not on the same wavelength ... 

No threat from Hemed really... we were blunt, sluggish and Bowyer will have to revitalise the guys... 

This will be good for us in the long run
  • We’re not, but Taylor gets out wide a lot, creates space and gives the oppo defence something to think about. Hemed didn’t do that today. 
  • edited September 2019
    The honeymoon is over, lots of bedpans needed tonight.
  • Taylor is our most important player (not least because the back-up isn't as strong as in other areas) but a 'one man team' suggests he's our only decent player and that's far from true. 
  • Just bought Leeds tickets as well.. :-(
  • We are not a one man team but when taylor is playing we play to his strengths. He wasn’t playing today and we looked like we expected Leko and hemed to fill the taylor role. They didn’t. Bowyer needs to get some footage to see how hemed, Aneke and Bonne scored their goals last season and whether we can adjust our forward passes to fit their strengths 
  • Sponsored links:

• No.  Bowyer, and Taylor, changed the way we/they played when Grant left last season.  We will evolve again.  Bowyer probably only knew Taylor wouldn't play on Wednesday/Thursday he has got a week to get ready for Wigan now. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    No.  Bowyer, and Taylor, changed the way we/they played when Grant left last season.  We will evolve again.  Bowyer probably only knew Taylor wouldn't play on Wednesday/Thursday he has got a week to get ready for Wigan now. 
    From what I’ve heard we will be lucky to see him back this side of Christmas 
  • No we are not a one man team by any stretch of the imagination. Taylor could have been playing today and the result would have been the same, we were very sloppy today and played right into Birmingham's hands
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    No.  Bowyer, and Taylor, changed the way we/they played when Grant left last season.  We will evolve again.  Bowyer probably only knew Taylor wouldn't play on Wednesday/Thursday he has got a week to get ready for Wigan now. 
    From what I’ve heard we will be lucky to see him back this side of Christmas 
    You might need to change your username!
  • No we are not a one man team but I wasn't impressed with Hemed's work rate , maybe he's not match fit but he was sluggish.  
  • Someone in the north upper said we wont didnt miss Taylor today. I had to bite my tongue.
  • "Are we a one man team?"

No we are just the lowest wage bill in the division.
  • If you look at the Brentford match, we were no better with Taylor. There were a few issues today, but Hemed wasn't really at it although I thought he improved. So we missed Taylor in that respect. I thought today was a Sarr game too but hindsight is a wonderful thing. What was interesting was that Birmingham didn't really press us, they just focused on defence and attacked, a little predictably in the hope something happened. I think Field made a big error for the goal putting us on the back foot.
  • How would you feel if you were Taylor , denied a chance of the wage/contract that could have set you up for life and now an injury that may scupper you getting it across the line in January .
    Pay him what he’s worth Charlton, sort his contract now and he’ll be bursting to get back out there .
    You know it makes sense 
  • No we are not a one man team but I wasn't impressed with Hemed's work rate , maybe he's not match fit but he was sluggish.  
    Not fit and carrying a few extra pounds.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think aneke looks a better bet than hemed to lead the line in his absence thus far.

• No, but Hemed certainly won’t fill Taylor’s boots... Taylor is up and down offering something all over the pitch, an absolute workhorse.

obviously Hemed hasn’t had the minutes yet, but it’s evidently clear he’s no Lyle Taylor lol
  • We definitely missed Taylor. He scores goals, harries defenders, stretches defences and supplies low crosses for others to score. He also gets us going and digs in when we need it.

We definitely missed Williams. He doesn't score goals but he puts the opposition on the back foot and gets us going (and I include the crowd in that).

Up to a point we missed Sarr. Pearce is a fine defender and in great form but the trade-off is not having the incisive passing from the back. There are pros and cons and I can imagine Sarr being harried by the Birmingham front line but the game was crying out for some balls into Field or Oztumer to get us ticking.

Too early to judge Hemed yet. That game might be what he needed given he's hardly played and I did think he looked a tiny bit better as the game wore on. And if he gets a goal, maybe that will spark him into life. He's no Lyle Taylor but then again, apart from the man himself, who is?

• a lot in what you say @Weegie Addick .. I wasn't there .. last season was the same. Taylor is missing, we fail .. no consolation, but I suspect other teams have the same problem with a missing star player
  • We missed Williams as much as we missed Taylor yesterday. 
    Until he come on we created next to nothing.
    Having both of them not in the starting 11 was bound to have an effect. 
    At five to 3 and despite Birmingham poor away record, I said this will be a 0-0 at best.
    Nothing against any of our players but knowing that Birmingham would be the first team to be set up not to lose rather than than going for the 3 points at the valley.

Hemed is a number 9 who needs a good service and can defend set pieces. He is not a Taylor or Grant who can  go out wide and stretch a defence.
    Taylor or a player like him (Toney) can play the double role of striker and wide man.

Charlton with out Taylor and Williams would be scary, young Gallagher was superb yesterday but can't be expected to score every game.

No way are we a one man team but without a regular scorer like Lyle you are going to lose the tight games or at best draw. Hemed would have benefited with playing with Lyle not instead of him. Aneke and Bonne both need game time. 
    We will just have to adapt.
  • edited September 2019
    PopIcon said:
    Someone in the north upper said we wont didnt miss Taylor today. I had to bite my tongue.
    Probably the same bloke who I overheard call Jonathan Leko, Jeremy Lenko. 
  • Wish we bought Toney now. Lyle massive miss. 40% less effective without him. 
  • I thought this was a thread created by our new perspective new owners about Steve smith
  • We will have to get used to it for a few weeks and LB will have to change tactics until Taylor is fit again