Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we a one man team?

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Nope!!... Need someone to explain to me how having Taylor today would have stopped us losing 2-0

Or even how Taylor playing would have had our Midfield / Defence passing the ball to each other

We're just not doing the basics
    Because we might have scored a goal? Something we’ve filed to do in the 180 minutes that he’s been out.
    Remind me how many chances we even had to score a goal before it went 2-0?

Have all the Strikers that you want on the pitch but if your not going to provide them with a service to score they're not going to!!
    A chance for one striker isn’t necessarily a chance for another. Taylor often creates his own  opportunities and his goals to games ratios (5 in 6) suggests he probably would have scored at least one against two pretty ordinary sides.

That’s not to say the team shouldn’t be doing better in his absence, but all reason and logic suggests we are utterly dependent on him.
  • Options
    And all common sense says don't overreact, give the team time to adapt and improve.

The team started well but wouldn't have gone all season unbeaten. Just as Taylor wouldn't have scored 40+ had he played every game. Even he'd have had runs of games without scoring or creating anything.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    And all common sense says don't overreact, give the team time to adapt and improve.

The team started well but wouldn't have gone all season unbeaten. Just as Taylor wouldn't have scored 40+ had he played every game. Even he'd have had runs of games without scoring or creating anything.
    It may adapt and improve, but it won’t be as good without Taylor.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Nope!!... Need someone to explain to me how having Taylor today would have stopped us losing 2-0

Or even how Taylor playing would have had our Midfield / Defence passing the ball to each other

Because we might have scored a goal? Something we’ve filed to do in the 180 minutes that he’s been out.

Have all the Strikers that you want on the pitch but if your not going to provide them with a service to score they're not going to!!
    Taylor does a lot more than just score goals. His work rate is remarkable, he holds the ball up well, brings others into the game, draws fouls, and is just an all round attacking outlet for us (and we desperately missed that today and last weekend). With Taylor, we wouldn’t have gone 180 minutes without scoring
    Thats the one thing I'd agree with spoken so far... trouble is though if the Midfield / Defence cant pass to each other, whats to say they could get it to Taylor?
  • Options
    What was our record in the games he missed last season? 

I have a feeling we've yet to score without him.
  • Options

W2 | D2 | L1 - Fleetwood was the only defeat last season without him
  • Options
    edited September 2019

League games without Lyle Taylor since the start of the last season...

• Charlton 3-1 Bristol Rovers, 24 Nov 2018 (Ward, Aribo, Grant)
    • Peterboro 0-0 Charlton, 26 Jan 2019
    • Fleetwood 1-0 Charlton, 2 Feb 2019
    • Charlton 1-1 Southend, 9 Feb 2019 (Reeves)
    • Gillingham 0-2 Charlton, 27 April 2019 (Aribo, Cullen)
    • Charlton 0-1 Birmingham, 14 Sep 2019
    • Wigan 2-0 Charlton, 21 Sep 2019

Played 7, Won 2, Drawn 2, Lost 3, Scored 6, Conceded 6
  • Options
    Better than i thought then but not great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Scoham said:

Agree, which is very different to saying we’re utterly dependent on him.
  • Options
    He's useful defending corners too. We also missed Pearce there today. 
  • Options
    Miss Taylor more than I expected.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    se9addick said:
    Scoham said:

I don’t think it is - if we want to be as good as we have been then we are utterly dependant on him. Without him there is a lower ceiling to what we can achieve. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Scoham said:
    se9addick said:
    Scoham said:

I don’t think it is - if we want to be as good as we have been then we are utterly dependant on him. Without him there is a lower ceiling to what we can achieve. 
    To me utterly dependent sounds like we’re a one man team that will struggle to score a goal, never mind win a game without Taylor.

Every team isn’t as good without their best player. We can still get results without him.
  • Options
    The trouble is that he sets the example for
    effort, without him on the pitch and although they’re not shirkers, they don’t quite meet those standards.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    We will have to get used to it for a few weeks and LB will have to change tactics until Taylor is fit again
    This pretty much answers the question in the title of the thread.
  • Options
    We have no goals the last 202 minutes and only 7 shots on goal in that period.
  • Options
    Has the club issued any kind of statement as to how long he’ll be out? Don’t feel like i’ve seen anything other than Bowyer saying “It’s not good.”
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2019
    se9addick said:

Look at the winning goal against Brentford.

Conor Gallagher doesn't get as much space through the middle of the pitch as he does without the run of Lyle Taylor pulling one of their CBs wide and away from the ball.

That is the Lyle Taylor effect. He is so good that teams have to sink so many resources into stopping him that it allows the other players in our team to flourish. The other players are now playing without him, they have less time on the ball and are playing a sloppier game because of it.

You might not like it but it's now crystal clear that he is pivotal to our fortunes this season.
    I  agree about the space he creates for other players. There's no way Wigan would have pressed us so aggressively if Lyle was playing on the shoulder of their central defenders. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    We all knew Taylor was important but does today show just how easy it is for the oppo to nullify us without him?
    It shows how much Bowyer has ignored the risk of us having Taylor leave.

We need to focus on getting Bonne and Aneke up to speed. 

Hemed hasn't sold me yet.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:h
    We all knew Taylor was important but does today show just how easy it is for the oppo to nullify us without him?

Of the three, Hemed is the one with a proven Championship record. I know we don't really have time, but I do think we need a bit of patience and perseverance.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Speed and movement improved when they came on. Only getting game time will get them up to Championship Speed/tempo and decision making.  
    TBF I think Hemed needs a strike partner to be effective. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    se9addick said:
    Scoham said:
    se9addick said:
    Scoham said:

To me utterly dependent sounds like we’re a one man team that will struggle to score a goal, never mind win a game without Taylor.

Every team isn’t as good without their best player. We can still get results without him.
    That’s exactly what’s happened in the two games without him...
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Has the club issued any kind of statement as to how long he’ll be out? Don’t feel like i’ve seen anything other than Bowyer saying “It’s not good.”
    Bowyer said a couple of months.
    But a couple of months until he's training fully, or on the bench, or 100% match fit etc etc ?

I reckon he'll be back in December & then he might be sold a few weeks later     :-(
  • Options
    No Taylor. No points. No goals. 

It was the same in January. 
    Looking like a smart observation. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I think Aneke lacks Taylor's mobility and is carrying some timber, apart from that, he is s similar player in terms of ball retention, movement, and maybe has a better eye for a pass. I'd play him as a nine alongside Leko/Bonne with one to come off the bench to run at tired legs. Over next month, perhaps work on Hemed's fitness and how best to feed him.
  • Options
    I think Aneke lacks Taylor's mobility and is carrying some timber, apart from that, he is s similar player in terms of ball retention, movement, and maybe has a better eye for a pass. I'd play him as a nine alongside Leko/Bonne with one to come off the bench to run at tired legs. Over next month, perhaps work on Hemed's fitness and how best to feed him.
    I don't necessarily disagree but Bowyer has said he's not a nine.
  • Options
    Derek Hales was a full back for Luton.