Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Centenary Dinner

Comments

• Options
    The Player of the Year Dinner every May is much less expensive, yet we get criticism for ticket prices of around £40. What people forget is that you are not just going out for a restaurant meal, but are attending a reasonably formal function with speeches, presentations and the opportunity to talk to the players. The caterers have to factor in staffing costs and the unit price of each meal gives us no profit at all and we have to rely on income from the raffle to keep us afloat.

I am currently sitting on the Valley Millennium Committee and have therefore had the opportunity to see the breakdown of the costs for the forthcoming Dinner and believe it or not, the price of £900 a table is needed because of  heavy expenses required to pay for the special guests. Ex-players will in some cases be flown in from abroad and the budget has to allow for travel and overnight accommodation to include wives. We talked about inviting a high profile former player from the USA and although this one is unlikely to come of, you can imagine the cost involved if it did. Yes, the Dinner is aimed at the corporate supporters, but save your money if it is beyond your budget and join us at the POTY Dinner when we may well have had a really good season to celebrate.   

I'm certainly not going to shell out £96 to give some ex player I've likely never heard of a jolly at our expense.
  • Options
    drewman said:
    The Player of the Year Dinner every May is much less expensive, yet we get criticism for ticket prices of around £40. What people forget is that you are not just going out for a restaurant meal, but are attending a reasonably formal function with speeches, presentations and the opportunity to talk to the players. The caterers have to factor in staffing costs and the unit price of each meal gives us no profit at all and we have to rely on income from the raffle to keep us afloat.

I am currently sitting on the Valley Millennium Committee and have therefore had the opportunity to see the breakdown of the costs for the forthcoming Dinner and believe it or not, the price of £900 a table is needed because of  heavy expenses required to pay for the special guests. Ex-players will in some cases be flown in from abroad and the budget has to allow for travel and overnight accommodation to include wives. We talked about inviting a high profile former player from the USA and although this one is unlikely to come of, you can imagine the cost involved if it did. Yes, the Dinner is aimed at the corporate supporters, but save your money if it is beyond your budget and join us at the POTY Dinner when we may well have had a really good season to celebrate.   

I'm certainly not going to shell out £96 to give some ex player I've likely never heard of a jolly at our expense. But I fully appreciate some do, so if you can afford it, crack on.
    drewman said:

I'm certainly not going to shell out £96 to give some ex player I've likely never heard of a jolly at our expense.

• Options
    drewman said:

Jesus Christ......what a shit attitude. :/
  • Options
    With it being a Centenary dinner I would have thought a straight £100 as fitting, rather than £96.
  • Options
    That is fine, drewman. The event is obviously not aimed at you and if you have never heard of the legendary ex-players of whom many of us are incredibly proud, you are best staying away whatever the cost as this and similar evenings would have no interest for you. Just for the record, the ex-players are being invited for the benefit of supporters who will go along to meet them, not so that they can have a 'jolly'.
    I sincerely hope everyone has a fantastic evening, like you say, not for me.
  • Options
    Yes, it's expensive but it is a once in a lifetime event.
    Just wait 8 years, there will be a 100 years at The Valley dinner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    seth plum said:
    The minimum wage for 16-17 year olds is £4.35 an hour. A lot of our enthusiastic support is in that age group. For 18-20 it is £6.15 an hour, £7.70 for 21-24 year olds, and £8.21 over 25.
    The club knows this stuff full well judging by the pay rate advertised for a new media technology person (who had to be a graduate) for around that number.
    So a 16-17 year old would have to work 22 hours just to pay for a ticket. Over 25's nearly 12 hours.
    If these kinds of sacrifices are demanded, then at the very least the food ought to be of a Ritz standard, with more than one choice, including for vegans and vegetarians.
    The reality from my perspective is that the event is aimed at being exclusive and for rich old carnivores/omnivores.

I take your point and am in no way criticising, but I do not think many 16-20 year olds would be interested in an evening like this.
  • Options
    @drewman has never heard of them. :smile:

Not a bad line up so far
  • Options
    Reckon I might go to this 
  • Options
    Has Mr Fraeye been given an invite?
  • Options
    Fiona Fullerton 
  • Options
    Yes, it's expensive but it is a once in a lifetime event.
    Just wait 8 years, there will be a 100 years at The Valley dinner.
    Can't wait for the 100 years of the takeover thread dinner!
  • Options
    100 years of League football must be up next 
  • Options
    100 years as a pro club 1920, 100 years as a league club in 1921
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant , more dinners to come !!
  • Options
    More people Drewman hasn't heard of confirmed.

Who's Robert Lee?
  • Options
    What an absolute joke these prices are. You must be a complete mug if you want to sit down and have a 10th rate dinner with a load of freeloaders, because that is what they are. They are not legends. They are freeloading ponces that are milking you for every last penny. They earnt good money as players and can well afford to pay for the dinner on there own. They wont, because they would rather have you the long suffering loyal fans pick up the tag. You would have to be a complete loser to entertain this. You are paying for there dinner, there accommodation, there travel and there other significant other half to attend. Just so you can exchange a few meaningless words with them, get a shirt signed and have a selfie taken. These ex players should be playing for you-the fans to attend. They wont because they are self deluded gods who you put in this position. Let them pay for there own dinner. Save your money or at least donate it to a charity if you have it to spare.
  • Options
    Don’t you  mean 2020 & 2021?
  • Options
    A simple statement from me.

I can't afford it, so I'm not going.

Therefore, vegetarian options are irrelevant, what types of meat dishes are irrelevant, and the fact that Angelina Jolie isn't on the guest list is irrelevant.

The last part of the paragraph above is the only part of the whole issue that I could possibly complain about...