Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best ever first 11 in Charlton colours

13»

Comments

• Options
    I would have Diawara in defence - thought he was an excellent player. Hard to really compare players from different eras.
  • Options
    A team of players I actually remember seeing and evaluating necessarily narrows the range to the last twenty years. Some of my earliest memories are of Kins, Mendonca, and Andy Hunt, for instance, even though I really was quite young (I was four when we beat Sunderland at Wembley in '98).

Let's go 4-3-1-2.

GK: Dean Kiely. The obvious choice - he single-handedly won us points on several occasions.

RB: Luke Young. Again, picks himself. Class right-back and England international. Him nutmegging Jerzy Dudek is a highlight of a great spell with us.

CB: Richard Rufus. Shame about his legal troubles, but there is no doubting he's one of the best centre backs this club has ever seen. Quick, strong, imposing in the air, good tackler - pretty much the complete package (pace made up for a slight lack of positional awareness). 

CB: Jorge Costa. Obviously. Shame he was only about for half a season, but the challenge he made on Eidur Gudjohnsen is one of the single greatest things I've ever seen on a football pitch.

LB: Chris Powell. Legend of a man and player. No explanation needed.

CM: Mark Kinsella (c). The beating heart of the team whenever he played, and a true leader. 

CM: Scott Parker. Engine room. Tenacious in the tackle; surged forward appropriately; and popped up with the odd great goal, too. 

CM: Claus Jensen. His ability on the ball made me fall in love with football. And that chip. Ohh, that chip.

CAM: Paolo di Canio. One season of utter joy and creativity in the front line, despite his age. His touch was superb; his penalty to beat Lehmann sublime. I think it's fair to re-appropriate his position with the benefit of hindsight.

CF: Darren Bent. His record speaks for itself.

CF: Clive Mendonca. No explanation needed here either, I presume.

Honourable mentions: Matt Holland; Andy Hunt; Jason Euell; Johann Berg Gudmundsson; Ademola Lookman; Joe Gomez; Lyle Taylor (yes really); Chris Solly; Yann Kermorgant; Mark Fish; Radostin Kishishev; Jonatan Johansson; Nick Pope; Shelvey; Hermann Hreidarsson; Shaun Bartlett; Zheng Zhi (nationality!)

I've still probably missed one or two obvious players.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Kiely

Humphrey
    Rufus
    Shirtliff
    Powell Chris

Simonsen
    Parker
    Kinsella
    Glover

Bent D
    Hales

There are a lot of contenders and on another day my choice could be different. Just talking about the first two names on my lists gives a flavour. I could do the same for almost every position.

We have been blessed with goalkeepers during my time and Wright, Johns and Bolder to name 3 push Deano close but Deano gets it for prolonged service at the top level.

I chose Humphrey but the young Billy Bonds and Luke Young push him close.
  • Options
    The team that beat Chelsea 4-2 on Boxing Day.
    Perm with the team that beat Arsenal 4-2 at Highbury.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    For what it’s worth. 

Keily 

We’ve had two great right backs, four great centre backs, and three great left backs in my time. So any combination out of Luke and Humphrey-for-England; Costa, Elliot, Rufus-for-England, Gomez; Reid, SCP, Hermann. 

Right-wing Micky Flanagan.

Left-wing Johnny. 

Central midfield Parker and Claus. 

Forwards Paolo and Darren. 

Bench: Tutt; two defenders from the above; Lookman, Kins; Hales, Paul Walsh. 
  • Options
      Carson

Humphrey Gomez Rufus Powell

Jensen Parker Bowyer Lee

Simonsen.  Bent