Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Charlton Life of Pie

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Suet pastry goes well with steak and is very nice as a change. Filo pastry on a meat pie is a crime against humanity. 
  • Options
    Can't go wrong with a good pork pie or slice of gala pie for lunch but the go to in a pub would be a decent steak and ale if it's available. 

What's the view on lemon meringue for a dessert pie? Proper 1970's throwback for me and I love 'em but not a proper pie in some people's eyes I suppose. 
  • Options
    Love a high quality pork pie, with a bit of English mustard on the side. Other than that, my life of pie has been largely disappointing, as I love the theory of a pie but usually end of feeling slightly underwhelmed.

2 pie-related issues that I feel quite strongly about:

Steak and kidney pie - people who like kidney are sitting on the cusp of cannibalism and are likely to become serial killers in later life.
    Mince pie - one of my greatest disappointments in life was finding out that the filling was minced fruit and not minced beef. I'm still not over that.
  • Options
    Can't go wrong with a good pork pie or slice of gala pie for lunch but the go to in a pub would be a decent steak and ale if it's available. 

What's the view on lemon meringue for a dessert pie? Proper 1970's throwback for me and I love 'em but not a proper pie in some people's eyes I suppose. 
    Not a pie due to absence of pastry but a lovely desert nonetheless.
  • Options
    A Scotch pie and a macaroni pie fresh out the baker is the lunch of kings
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Love a high quality pork pie, with a bit of English mustard on the side. Other than that, my life of pie has been largely disappointing, as I love the theory of a pie but usually end of feeling slightly underwhelmed.

Steak and kidney pie - people who like kidney are sitting on the cusp of cannibalism and are likely to become serial killers in later life.
    Mince pie - one of my greatest disappointments in life was finding out that the filling was minced fruit and not minced beef. I'm still not over that.
    Mince pie - another crime against humanity. absolute disgrace!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Does a Ginsters Cornish pasty fall under the catergory of a pie, if so I’m in, failing that just a good solid steak pie, got to have brown sauce and veg with it though.

I dont eat pies at football grounds though, don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing?
  • Options
    A Scotch pie and a macaroni pie fresh out the baker is the lunch of kings
    Mutton pies are lovelly
  • Options
    The best Pie have ever had was at Manchester City in the midweek 2-2 draw in 1998. Meat and Potato. So good in fact that I had 3 of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does McDonalds hot apple pie count?
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

As a kid I used to love Steak and Kidney pies - right up until the point that I went to make my own from scratch and discovered that Kidneys are nothing more than sinewy sacks of pungent animal piss and amonia.
  • Options
    Does McDonalds hot apple pie count?
    Containing the hottest substance known to mankind 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Mince pie - another crime against humanity. absolute disgrace!
    Mince Pie always reminds me of the Harry Enfield sketch

Mince By
  • Options
    Going to say something I suspect may be contraversial:

Pork pies are hugely overrated.  Dry outside and in, too dense in the middle, that jelly stuff is a bit grim.

Love pies, not fussed by pork pies at all. 
  • Options
    Does Beef Wellington count?
  • Options
    Does Beef Wellington count?
    Yes. Beef wellington is delicious. Let down by traditionally having Puff pastry rather than shortcrust but still up there.
  • Options

Pork pies are hugely overrated.  Dry outside and in, too dense in the middle, that jelly stuff is a bit grim.

Totally agree , I mean the Jelly stuff and chuff meat reminds me of the shit we used to feed our dog back in the eighties, as you say  very grim
  • Options
    I don't eat pies now due to being on Keto diet, but prior to that favourite was McDougals Upper Crust Chicken and Asaparagus.
    My wife and I used to buy a family one and have half each.  :)

As a kid I loved Birds Eye individual Chicken Pies.
    Haven't had one now for forty odd years so I suspect I would find them bland and disappointing with about 2 small pieces of chicken inside.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The best: the M&S best ever steak pie.

https://www.you.co.uk/marks-spencer-best-ever-steak-pie/

I'm not joking, it's so dam good. 

On a side note, I ordered on just eat from "the pie guys." The worst pie I've ever had. Pathetic. 
  • Options

Handy if you run out of KY though
  • Options
    Freshly made pies from farms shops are usually better than your average supermarket pies. 
    Hewitts Farm does some delicious pies a bit pricey but well worth it. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    The George & Dragon at Downe has some fantastic pies on their menu.
    The downside is that if you go on a Sunday, you will more than likely see Nigel Farage sitting at the bar, supping a pint of Bitter.

[EDIT - having just googled, I've just discovered that he has been barred by the landlord after a car accident so fill your boots people]
  • Options
    Can’t beat a Dennis of Bexley Snake and Pigmy. Absolutely packed out with all the best cuts and a has a lovely gravy. Thoroughly recommended...
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    JohnBoyUK said:
    The downside is that if you go on a Sunday, you will more than likely see Nigel Farage sitting at the bar, supping a pint of Bitter.

[EDIT - having just googled, I've just discovered that he has been barred by the landlord after a car accident so fill your boots people]

They do great food in there. We used to take our daughter to Christmas Tree Farm when she was younger and always ended up in there after.

She used to love the farm until a goat tried to eat her coat. She thought it was trying to eat her, had a meltdown and wouldn't go there again.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

He's moved. 
    No longer lives near there. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

He's moved. 
    No longer lives near there. 
    Does he sit by the fire now then?

;)
  • Options
    The pie rating formula is heavily influenced in very much the same way as beer goggles influence rating women (and men I’d better add).

A meat and potato pie at Tranmere and a chicken balti at Notts County are my favourite football pies but don’t know when, who made them, who I was with or what the score was on either occasion.
  • Options
    When worked in Singapore had a pie craving.

Found an Australian brand frozen microwave-able pie in the Carrefour supermarket that didn't go soggy when zapped.
    add that to some instant mash potato with gravy from the vending machine in the 7/11 shop over the road and got a lovely dinner in 5 minutes.