Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Charlton Life of Pie

Comments

• Options
    PWR - gotta be a Cornish Pasty from Chough's in Padstow, can't beat 'em.
  • Options
    An honourable mention for Goddards of Greenwich and their lamb & rosemary pie.
  • Options
    As much as I hate to say it, I had a steak and Ale pie at The Toolbox on Saturday that was nice
  • Options
    Mum does a lovelly sausage meat pie, with boiled eggs in. Not had it for years though

its called Gala pie I think?

My nan used to make those as well. Me and my brother would eat a massive one between us

• Options

There's not enough chicken balti in this thread.

Best chicken baltis I've had were at Bristol City and Huddersfield around 2013. Skipping lunch to stay in the pub it was pretty normal to have 2 or even 3 per away game back then.

£5 pie and a pint at The Valley took some double bookings around then as well, outstanding value for the time. If a deal like that returned I'd straight up forget my boycott.

• Options
    Chicken balti at Villa Park was very good a few years back, don't know if they still serve the same ones (well hopefully not the. Exact same ones but you know what I mean).
  • Options
    Can anyone answer the question on what is a pie and how shepherds and cottage get away with being called that?
  • Options
    Look into it
  • Options
    Steak and Ale pie for me - a vegetarian one without the pastry!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    So just an ale for you then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    So just an ale for you then?
    Well, I can't go eating on an empty stomach.
  • Options
    All pies are a lovely thing.

But I'd trade you any pie in the world for one of my old mum's steak and kidney puds from back in the day. The food of very fat gods.
  • Options
    Does Paella count ?
  • Options
    http://www.britishpieawards.co.uk/rules-of-entry/

Rules of Entry

Below are the rules for the 2020 British Pie Awards:

1. The British Pie Awards is open to all producers of Pies sold commercially in the UK – Pie makers, butchers, bakers, cafes, pubs, restaurants, sports clubs and those who exhibit at shows, markets etc.

2. Pies entered must either be currently available for sale or available for sale during the Awarding year namely 6th March 2020 until British Pie Awards 2021 at the same standard.

3.  All Pies in all Classes of the British Pie Awards must comply with being ‘a filling wholly encased in pastry and baked’. Entries which do not comply e.g. lattice topped, fruit topped, potato topped, samosas or any fried products etc will not be submitted for judging.

• Options
    This thread has made me very hungry. 
  • Options
    Peters Steak & Kidney are lacking gravy but very tasty.
    Pukka Steak & Kidney shade it as gravy content is better.
    Exeter Central Station had a cracking pasty shop opposite.  I'd pop in there for breakfast, then back in there for tea before boarding the train after the game.  Pasties, pies and sausage rolls were all perfect.

Cracking thread @AFKABartram, almost as good as my pert or saggy thread from 18 months back :)
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

But I'd trade you any pie in the world for one of my old mum's steak and kidney puds from back in the day. The food of very fat gods.
    Now you're talking!
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Love a high quality pork pie, with a bit of English mustard on the side. Other than that, my life of pie has been largely disappointing, as I love the theory of a pie but usually end of feeling slightly underwhelmed.

2 pie-related issues that I feel quite strongly about:

Steak and kidney pie - people who like kidney are sitting on the cusp of cannibalism and are likely to become serial killers in later life.
    Mince pie - one of my greatest disappointments in life was finding out that the filling was minced fruit and not minced beef. I'm still not over that.
    As a kid I used to love Steak and Kidney pies - right up until the point that I went to make my own from scratch and discovered that Kidneys are nothing more than sinewy sacks of pungent animal piss and amonia.
    I think you are confusing Kidney with @ElfsborgAddick
    I think of @ricky_otto every time I eat a boiled egg.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I like a nice apple pie where the apples are still slightly sharp and just a little (very slightly) crunchy. Lob a few blackberries in with the apples and I won't complain. Then a nice thick vanilla custard on top.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Davo55 said:

Put me down for one of these or one of my Mrs meat pies (with onion) in short crust pastry (not just a lid) and beef gravy from the meat juices. Mashed potatoes, cabbage or cauliflower and carrots............yummy heaven.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davo55 said:

Now you're talking!
    You have had one of Davo’s Mums steak and Kidney puddings? 
  • Options
    Pieminster Moo and blue (steak and stilton) as great. 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Love a high quality pork pie, with a bit of English mustard on the side. Other than that, my life of pie has been largely disappointing, as I love the theory of a pie but usually end of feeling slightly underwhelmed.

2 pie-related issues that I feel quite strongly about:

Steak and kidney pie - people who like kidney are sitting on the cusp of cannibalism and are likely to become serial killers in later life.
    Mince pie - one of my greatest disappointments in life was finding out that the filling was minced fruit and not minced beef. I'm still not over that.
    As a kid I used to love Steak and Kidney pies - right up until the point that I went to make my own from scratch and discovered that Kidneys are nothing more than sinewy sacks of pungent animal piss and amonia.
    I think you are confusing Kidney with @ElfsborgAddick
    I think of @ricky_otto every time I eat a chipolata.

• Options
    I think of Stacey Dooley whenever I eat a fried egg.
  • Options
    M&S do a reasonable chicken pie .

Cook , don't know if they're still about  , used to do a real decent chicken, ham and leek one .

my (deceased) old man , who was a chef , made the greatest Chicken Pie ever and anyone who tasted it knew it was special and always begged for me to get him to make more , my wife hasn't forgiven me for not getting the recipe off him before he passed away , it's basically best to have never had that pie because everything else is soooooo far behind .

Australia love a pie , i remember travelling out there for a couple of months in 1998 and living on pies everywhere .

Brendan O'connell's 'It was basically a meat and potato pie in a large roll that had about a slab of butter on each side' sounds like heaven to me can't beat a bit of bread or a pie and the melted butter action.

Sweet wise i like a good (heated always) apple pie with hot custard and ice cream for the old hot/cold combo .

also partial to a banoffee pie , although thats not a pie as a pie should be .
    Cooks are still about, I worked for them for a year to help my son in law out. Gorgeous grub but feckin expensive. 17 quid now for the chicken pie. Recommend the wild boar, but it’s very rich.
  • Options
    Can't go wrong with a good pork pie or slice of gala pie for lunch but the go to in a pub would be a decent steak and ale if it's available. 

What's the view on lemon meringue for a dessert pie? Proper 1970's throwback for me and I love 'em but not a proper pie in some people's eyes I suppose. 
    It's a flan really. Pies are pastry encased.
    I like a good lemon meringue though.
  • Options
    Manzes pie and mash
    My nans steak and kidney pie
    Chicken and asparagus

Suet "pies" are puddings not pies, fact. 
  • Options
    Reminds me of an exchange years ago on Fantasy Football: 

Frank Skinner: Who do you support mate? 
    Bloke: Charlton. 
    Skinner: The meat pies are lovely at Charlton.  
    Bloke: Are they? The burgers are horrible.  
    Skinner: Well have the meat pies!! 
  • Options
    And chicken pie must have a gravy filling, none of that creamy white crap
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Manzes pie and mash
    My nans steak and kidney pie
    Chicken and asparagus

Suet "pies" are puddings not pies, fact. 
    Used to go Manzes in Deptford yrs back. Their pie and mash was the best in London. Tried the jellied eels once and not for me,cant deal with that slimey crap