Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Charlton Life of Pie

124»

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    And chicken pie must have a gravy filling, none of that creamy white crap
    No way, love a white sauce style pie, chicken, bacon and leek, or chicken and mushroom etc. 

• Options
    If you like pies and beer (I'm guessing a few might agree...) the Admiralty pub, Trafalgar Square is well worth a visit.  They do a pie tasting board where you get (I think) 4 different slices of various pies.  They also do a beer sampler where you get 4 or 5 different small beers.  Its a Fuller's pub so all the beers are pretty good.  Bit pricey but worth a one-off.
  • Options
    I've made some astonishing mixed game pies over the years, more by luck than judgement tbh. Had a mooch with a friend when I was back a couple of years ago, and ended up with a couple of mallard and pigeon. I breasted them, added some rabbit he had in the freezer, coated it in flour  fried it off with some onions and garlic, chucked some frozen peas in, added a glug of red and stock cube, all covered with shop bought puff pastry and it was to die for, even if I do say so myself.

I don't think a well made minced beef and onion pie can be beaten though 
    Blimey. Pigeon, mallard and rabbit. Surprised you didn't put a guinea pig in there for extra flavour.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Manzes pie and mash
    My nans steak and kidney pie
    Chicken and asparagus

Suet "pies" are puddings not pies, fact. 
    i will be in Manze's tower bridge road tomorrow paying off a Charlton/Millwall bet I lost last week
  • Options
    Once bought a steak and kidney pie at Rochdale that was so good I queued up for another before I’d even finished it.

Had pie, mash and liquor the other week for the first time in years, forgot how good (and filling) it was.

for a fake pie, Joe Wicks chicken pie (filo pastry lid only) is awesome 
  • Options

I'm a simple pie man, can't beat a minced beef and onion pie or a meat and potato pie.

lady I used to work with (who sadly passed away) used to make pies at home at the weekend and bring them in for all the lads in the office, they were absolutely amazing, especially her chicken curry pie, chill con carne pie and corn beef hash pie.....she also made the most amazing sausage rolls with different spices in them

• Options

I'm a simple pie man, can't beat a minced beef and onion pie or a meat and potato pie.

lady I used to work with (who sadly passed away) used to make pies at home at the weekend and bring them in for all the lads in the office, they were absolutely amazing, especially her chicken curry pie, chill con carne pie and corn beef hash pie.....she also made the most amazing sausage rolls with different spices in them

Forgot about the meat n potato variety.

Kennedy's in Bromley used to be fantastic, always a queue out the door.  A shame they closed down.
  • Options
    Yep, great thread. 

Would be interested to see more shouts on pie venues too – particularly south of the river.

Goddard's Greenwich is ok and I've been meaning to go to Manzes... Any others?
  • Options
    Arments in Walworth a favourite for pie & mash for me, Manzies & Goddards also very good
  • Options
    I have a bias but hard to beat Scotch pies (aka mutton pies) with brown sauce. Once you have had one you have to have another. Only minced meat (rarely mutton nowadays) and lardy water pastry with good helping of salt. A now departed Addick (and former butcher) used to make them for Elgin City home games - they were handsome.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No pie thread would be complete without reference to Leavers pie shop on the Bolton Road outside Ewood Park. Was always told these were the best pies in English football and hard to disagree.
  • Options
    No pie thread would be complete without reference to Leavers pie shop on the Bolton Road outside Ewood Park. Was always told these were the best pies in English football and hard to disagree.
    And very cheap.

I came out of there one season and was not allowed into the ground until I finished them!  I thought the stewards were taking the p*** but there was a sign reading about food being forbidden to take inside.  

I missed the first 5 minutes.
  • Options
    A friend took me to Dulwich Hamlet v Carlisle last week. Unbelievably good pies there, complete with mash n‘ peas. 
  • Options
    I want a pie now
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I have to pretend to like traditional pie and mash shop pies. I’ll eat them - but they are just sooooo bland. 

I much prefer a pie with a proper gravy in them. 

I’m a big fan of a very short crust pork pie with mustard or piccalilli. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Some might call it sacrilege but I like the Chicken Pot Pie that you get from EAT (not that there are many left open now).  Basically a tasty thick chicken soup with a pastry topping that floats on the top.
  • Options

I visited the famous Thunderbird restaurant on a road trip a couple of years ago with my son (it’s near Zion National Park on the road to Monument Valley).  They have got into a bit of trouble in recent years due to the sexist sign. It was, of course, a hoot in the 50s but modern times have caught up. They have persevered but the explanation on the menu is a little hard to believe!  Their fruit pies are to die for!!!!

Best ever steak and sausage pies are made By Auchengree farm shop in Ayrshire. Slaughtered on site and cooked there and then. Utterly fabulous. Google it. 

• Options
    I do a.raised game pie every Xmas which I love but but can’t beat a traditional meat pie with mash and liquor.