Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gunshots at London Bridge

Comments

• Options
    Oh well there ya go, he’s just a mental bastard 
  • Options
    WSS said:
    I’ve been reliably informed, the suspect is one of these: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22168422

System has let people down it seems.
    If true that’s shocking.

so they pleaded guilty to ‘preparing for acts of terrorism’ but have their sentences cut on appeal and then released halfway through their sentences. Beggars belief.

Which one is the suspect? Shahjahan was a guest at my place but got transferred a while ago. I got on alright with him but it was easy to tell he hadn’t changed his views inside.
  • Options

The attacker, who is understood to have been on probation having been released from prison after serving time for terror-related offences, was wearing a hoax suicide belt.

It is thought he was attending an event at Fishmonger's Hall near London Bridge where he was due to share his experiences of prisoner rehabilitation, The Times reported.

The attacker was known to police and had connections to Islamist terror groups, a security source said.

Before chairing an emergency Cobra meeting, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he had "long argued" that it is a "mistake to allow serious  and violent criminals to come out of prison early".

He added it was "very important that we get out of that habit and that we enforce the appropriate sentences for  dangerous criminals, especially for terrorists, that I think the public will  want to see". 

• Options
    I think it's possible to have made terrible mistakes in your life but still be a brave hard bastard when the need arises. Not that I'm saying we should have ex-crims patrolling our streets or any kind of Dirty Dozen set-up but it may have ended the situation more quickly to have people like that in the vicinity
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Seems, presumably, unclear. Nut shell.
    Nothing.
  • Options
    Hoax suicide belt = he definitely wanted to die. Almost a shame then that he did, it might have been good for him to have to explain himself before going down for the rest of his days
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Hoax suicide belt = he definitely wanted to die. Almost a shame then that he did, it might have been good for him to have to explain himself before going down for the rest of his days
    But he wouldn’t have gone down for the rest of his days. Glad he’s dead.
  • Options
    I think most of us are generally in agreement about people like this! 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    He wouldn’t of said anything and cost us thousands a year to keep him alive. We’ve had the best result.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    OK the whole thing seems to have taken place at a criminal rehabilitation event. Matters presumably got out of hand amongst the ex-cons. Unclear whether it was an organised terror attack or just a guy flying off the handle. 
    With fake explosives strapped to him?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    OK the whole thing seems to have taken place at a criminal rehabilitation event. Matters presumably got out of hand amongst the ex-cons. Unclear whether it was an organised terror attack or just a guy flying off the handle. 
    I posted that before that detail became clear. He was clearly planning something that would end with his 'martyrdom' but it doesn't seem to have been too specific in its realisation
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Explain himself ??why would ANYONE want to hear what a piece of shi t like that has to say?
  • Options

Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    I posted that before that detail became clear. He was clearly planning something that would end with his 'martyrdom' but it doesn't seem to have been too specific in its realisation
    Whatever were his reasons for wearing fake explosives (martyrdom or to scare people into doing what he said), we all know that he's no martyr and there'll be no virgins etc etc as most of us don't believe in that ideology, so shooting him and eliminating the immediate threat, has got to be the best outcome surely?
  • Options
    But the message that the police will shoot you isn't necessarily off-putting to people who have been radicalised to believe in martyrdom. I'm not saying that his death was a bad result - and the police were certainly right to shoot as soon as they saw the belt - but it certainly feeds into the narrative of jihad. 

The message should actually be 'try any of this and you will fail, and you will not be remembered'. I hope we do not focus on this man but those he killed and those who stood up to him.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Leuth said:
    But the message that the police will shoot you isn't necessarily off-putting to people who have been radicalised to believe in martyrdom. I'm not saying that his death was a bad result - and the police were certainly right to shoot as soon as they saw the belt - but it certainly feeds into the narrative of jihad. 

The message should actually be 'try any of this and you will fail, and you will not be remembered'. I hope we do not focus on this man but those he killed and those who stood up to him.
    Whether it's off putting or not, there was a perceived threat (bomb), and the police at the scene had to make the call. Or Should they have took the chance of him detonating the bomb, killing more people, just to send the right message out?
  • Options
    I said they had no choice but to shoot him! He gave them no alternative. Which is why I say it's almost a shame he got his way - as a) we can certainly do without him and b) it wasn't going to end any other way 
  • Options
    The policeman who shot him should be neither commended nor vilified, but I hope he gets all the psychological help he needs after performing a horrendous if necessary act
  • Options
    I guess commended for acting swiftly and ensuring nobody else got hurt, but he was basically following protocol! The mad bastards who jumped on the guy are the ones I think deserve praise, no matter what they did before 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Security services / Emergency services
  • Options
    I suppose you're right. 
  • Options
    Armed police are only trained to shot when there is a serious risk to life, after this incident there will be an investigation and the officer who fired his weapon will not be operational for probably at least a year. There is no way he could be sure that the best was fake or that the terrorist had no other weapon, they did their job for which we should all be grateful and commend them.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Armed police are only trained to shot when there is a serious risk to life, after this incident there will be an investigation and the officer who fired his weapon will not be operational for probably at least a year. There is no way he could be sure that the best was fake or that the terrorist had no other weapon, they did their job for which we should all be grateful and commend them.
    Exactly, he’s been trained but he still made a split second decision that will effectively change his life and the safety of others. You just know the inquests that will follow will mean he can’t continue to go about the job he’s done so well in.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    It's so true that truth is stranger than fiction. 
    RIP the victims.
  • Options

"The man who carried out Friday's stabbing attack at London Bridge was a former prisoner convicted of terrorism offences.

The attacker, named by police as 28-year-old Usman Khan, was out of prison on licence at the time of the attack, in which a man and a woman were killed and three others were injured"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50610215

• Options
    Leuth said:
    With a hoax suicide vest? Safe to say it was a planned attack, especially with it being someone who has previously been inside for terror offences. 
  • Options
    I just hope the policeman that did shoot him doesn’t get dragged through investigations and has his career effected. He should be commended not vilified.
    This can’t happen as the instruction to shoot came through the radio, it wasn’t the officer’s call. So basically a free shot.