Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Thomas Driesen Gone? - he popped in on p16, and back out on p26

Comments

• Options
    Given the form of Mac, I’d bite your hand off for Thuram! 
  • Options
    Our recruitment was quality in 18/19 and has been absolute shite since with the odd exception i.e stockley/Dobson. I don't think anyone is saying we'd be better off with him but it does seem strange that since he has left we have signed some absolute stinkers i.e Bogle, smith, smith, schwartz, levitt, Smyth, gunter, watson, soure, arter and the list goes on. 
    You seem to be making the assumption that Driesen had “responsibility” for recruitment. In practice successive management just accepted him, with varying levels of tolerance, as an obstacle to be overcome in getting deals past Duchatelet. Where loans were concerned Bowyer’s status and connections, and Gallen’s negotiating were key. 
    But even after Driesen left and we still had Bowyer with Gallen, at the beginning of the 20/21 season our recruitment was terrible with the signings i mentioned before
  • Options
    Our recruitment was quality in 18/19 and has been absolute shite since with the odd exception i.e stockley/Dobson. I don't think anyone is saying we'd be better off with him but it does seem strange that since he has left we have signed some absolute stinkers i.e Bogle, smith, smith, schwartz, levitt, Smyth, gunter, watson, soure, arter and the list goes on. 
    You seem to be making the assumption that Driesen had “responsibility” for recruitment. In practice successive management just accepted him, with varying levels of tolerance, as an obstacle to be overcome in getting deals past Duchatelet. Where loans were concerned Bowyer’s status and connections, and Gallen’s negotiating were key. 
    But even after Driesen left and we still had Bowyer with Gallen, at the beginning of the 20/21 season our recruitment was terrible with the signings i mentioned before
    They were dealing in that window the club was being pulled apart and could only do any proper recruitment once the takeover occurred which was at the back end of the window and we were having to take punts. And initially that window did work in regard that we did only finish just outside the play offs.  
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Last season is partly explained by the salary cap. We were playing catch up and missed out on making signings before the cut off point, e.g. Jonson Clarke-Harris, where they could be paid above the cap limitations.

No excuses this season, I just hope mistakes have been learnt from and TS can provide a budget that allows us to bring in the quality we need.
    Good Point, completely forgot about the salary cap. Just shows even more how much of a terrible window the summer was bar a few signings.
  • Options
    So you're saying it's a coincidence then? I think it's clear that TD and SG made a pretty decent team. The pool of players we are signing from has reduced significantly. That's obvious. That suggests to me that there's a lack of scouting going on. They haven't replaced what they lost in TD. This squad is the most unimaginative collection of players we've ever amassed. There are players we've signed here on reputation rather than their talents. This club can't afford that.

Using individual examples of bad signings without countering them with successful signings isn't worth a wank. We can do that for any recruitment team in world football. (btw Nego wasn't given a chance here and just had a decent run at the actual Euros where he played as wing-back v France and Germany in draws). Solly kept his place in the team, and that's fine. It's OK to sign a player and for him not to work out. It happens.

Many transfers don't work out the way you hope, but you need to get some right. We aren't. It's all very lazy and obvious. We can't afford to be paying over the odds for ageing, injury-prone players. 

I don't think we are as far apart as I initially thought, and if I attributed a position to you that you don't hold, I apologise.

Now I have to do some actual work.
  • Options
    The recruitment has got worse since he left the club.
    It was largely shit when he was here and it’s still largely shit
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've seen a few people out there making favourable comparisons between Charlton under Duchatalet, and the current set up, and you have to admit the evidence is that the quality of signings has dropped. The email above was at the point early in Duchatalets reign where he wanted to control everything, with some disatrous results, but as he lost interest, Dreisen was still supposedly advising on signings and we had some good ones (as well as bad). The season we went down with Bowyer, we had the lowest budget in the Championship, Covis and a horrible injury list to contend with. The injuries are still here but our budget seems to be top ten (just guessing) while overall our squad is bang average, with a memorable lack of creativity. I don't know if this is completely down to Dreisen, but lets at least admit the possibility that the guy we all wrote off as a keyboard geek did oversee some good transfers.
  • Options
    Great post @Garrymanilow . I don't know if we ruin players, or play them out of position, but something is going wrong.
    I don't think anyone is saying Dreisen was 'great', but the dislike a lot of us had for him as being another Duchatalet imposition may mean he basically got blamed for all the duff signings, and denying he had anything to do with good ones. The truth is never that straightforward.
  • Options
    Whooooooooaaaaaaa
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really appreciate you taking the time to write that message and explain your responsibility and role at Charlton. Without taking the piss at all. If your contribution was as positive with Charlton in the last 18 months of working here. Wouldn’t someone have fought to keep you employed in some role at the club.

• Options
    You can claim what you like but it's your word against Bob Peters, Guy Luzon, Chris Powell, etc. who all said in recorded interviews that you were the de facto transfer boss during their tenures and everything ran through you. There's even email evidence of you deciding the tactics and selection, such was your influence. In a court of law you'd be bang to rights. 
  • Options
    Really appreciate you taking the time to write that message and explain your responsibility and role at Charlton. Without taking the piss at all. If your contribution was as positive with Charlton in the last 18 months of working here. Wouldn’t someone have fought to keep you employed in some role at the club.

His point seems to be that he was generally regarded as an expendable cog, which squares with my general understanding of backroom staff 
  • Options
    Would love to know more names of players you said no to.

I also wonder how those scouts who wanted Kermorgant replaced and rated Polish Pete are getting on. Such basic stuff, it was no surprise to see Yann help Bournemouth to the Championship title, he didn’t rely on pace and had a few more years in him. I also saw Polish Pete play for our u21s away at Brighton, it was obvious he wasn’t good enough for our first team - he wasn’t quick or strong and didn’t have enough about his game technically to make up for it.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Fair play for having the balls to come on here @ThomasD

How did you end up getting the role under Roland in the first place?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    You can claim what you like but it's your word against Bob Peters, Guy Luzon, Chris Powell, etc. who all said in recorded interviews that you were the de facto transfer boss during their tenures and everything ran through you. There's even email evidence of you deciding the tactics and selection, such was your influence. In a court of law you'd be bang to rights. 

I had the explanation for this part in at first, but I deleted it. I was the only one speaking Englisch, French and Dutch. So I was always the scout who was in communication with the managers because the others scouts only speak one language. So it was always me who had to let down the managers and say no. Sometimes even for players I did not watch myself.  

There is NO evidence whatsoever against me for being the transfer boss lol