Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Thomas Driesen Gone? - he popped in on p16, and back out on p26

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it's a coincidence, I think that unfortunately signing players isn't an exact science, and some DoFs have their moment and it passes. I hope that isn't the case with Gallen but he did seem to do excellent work bringing in players he was aware of from previous years and experiences and that well may have run a little dry. Driesen didn't scout anything, he looked at data, which is essentially what Martin Sandgaard will be doing. The problem we had in the early days of Driesen was actual football people were being overuled based on data and only data. It's very important that that isn't the case now and we will see. There's no evidence that the pool of players we're signing from has reduced because of Driesen, none whatsoever. We have been for the last few years and continue to be now recruiting players exclusively from the UK, and we know that it was Gallen and his contacts who were unearthing the Gallaghers and the Bieliks, we're hardly missing out on the finest League Two talent because Tommy is no longer reading data reports on Rochdale's left back.  With Gallen at the moment I think of Steve Walsh. At Leicester, he identified Mahrez, Vardy and Kante among others and contributed to Leciester's ridiculous title win. He then went to Everton and recommended £150m worth of dross. He also says he suggested Andy Robertson, Harry Maguire and 16 year old Erling Haaland, but I find it hard to believe anyone chose Davy Klaassen, Morgan Schneiderlin and Michael Keane over them. He now works as a special adviser for Charlotte FC in the MLS. His moment has passed.
    I also think the difference this season is we aren't necessarily buying bad players, we're getting decent players and wrecking them. Alex Gilbey was MK Dons' player of the year for two successive seasons at this level, and last night looked like a non-league player against that same team. MacGillivray was Pompey's player of the season last year, Scott Fraser was everyone's favourite player but I'm sure we'll ruin him yet. Chuks was a logical signing based on how well he did for us in League One, Stockley was good for actual Charlton before looking like an imposter the whole time Adkins was there after we signed him permanently. DJ was excellent for Swindon at L1 level and looked ready for a step up, Leko was good for us in the Championship but now looks atrocious in League One. There's some signings in there that aren't great, mostly last season under the cap at short notice, but there's few signings I've looked at this season and thought were a terrible idea. In fact, the players who arguably seemed least logical - George Dobson run out by Sunderland and Sean Clare unwanted at Oxford, CBT let go by L2 Tranmere - have given better accounts of themselves than most of the others. The loans have gone sideways, there's no doubt Gallen is struggling to identify usable potential, but the profile of our signings has actually been pretty good on paper. I don't know how far he can be blamed for the failure of the coaching staff to get that talent onto the pitch where others have succeeded. Fresh ideas might be the answer, but as Airman says Driesen was nothing more than an obstacle that has been removed.
    Good on paper, shit in grass, and that's down to Gallen and his massive list of duds
  • Options
    @johnnyh2 - 45 games in hand?!
  • Options
    @ThomasD What was your role in the sale of Yann Kermorgant?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I recall that Duchatelet himself said that he had difficulty with Yann because he felt that his wage demands were over the top and he personally didn’t like how he felt about it, which directly led to Yann leaving. Don’t remember Dreiser being mentioned as a part of the decision. 
  • Options
    BDL said:
    "One of the things I see people say about me is that I told Roland to sell fan favorite Yann Kermorgant. I have no idea where this came from (Airmanbrown or Jimmy Stone maybe)?
    In my report I highlighted him as our best player. But 3 of the other scouts said he was getting old and we could probably find better. So Roland listened to these poeple who were far more experienced then me and who did a very good job at Standard Liege in the years before. These same people also suggested Reza te come to Charlton, I didn't say 'no' but I said I had my doubts about him adjusting to English football"

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    BDL said:
    "One of the things I see people say about me is that I told Roland to sell fan favorite Yann Kermorgant. I have no idea where this came from (Airmanbrown or Jimmy Stone maybe)?
    In my report I highlighted him as our best player. But 3 of the other scouts said he was getting old and we could probably find better. So Roland listened to these poeple who were far more experienced then me and who did a very good job at Standard Liege in the years before. These same people also suggested Reza te come to Charlton, I didn't say 'no' but I said I had my doubts about him adjusting to English football"

That's not true is it Thomas?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Let’s not be too harsh on little @ThomasD
    One of his decisions gave affirmation to my dear old dead Nanna that she too could pursue a lucrative career in the professional mens game

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    First TommyD and then the return of @Plaaayer

Plaaayer made a brief appearance recently but had an over the top tackle from 1956 IIRC but has now returned to full fitness 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ads said:
    I don't think it's a coincidence, I think that unfortunately signing players isn't an exact science, and some DoFs have their moment and it passes. I hope that isn't the case with Gallen but he did seem to do excellent work bringing in players he was aware of from previous years and experiences and that well may have run a little dry. Driesen didn't scout anything, he looked at data, which is essentially what Martin Sandgaard will be doing. The problem we had in the early days of Driesen was actual football people were being overuled based on data and only data. It's very important that that isn't the case now and we will see. There's no evidence that the pool of players we're signing from has reduced because of Driesen, none whatsoever. We have been for the last few years and continue to be now recruiting players exclusively from the UK, and we know that it was Gallen and his contacts who were unearthing the Gallaghers and the Bieliks, we're hardly missing out on the finest League Two talent because Tommy is no longer reading data reports on Rochdale's left back.  With Gallen at the moment I think of Steve Walsh. At Leicester, he identified Mahrez, Vardy and Kante among others and contributed to Leciester's ridiculous title win. He then went to Everton and recommended £150m worth of dross. He also says he suggested Andy Robertson, Harry Maguire and 16 year old Erling Haaland, but I find it hard to believe anyone chose Davy Klaassen, Morgan Schneiderlin and Michael Keane over them. He now works as a special adviser for Charlotte FC in the MLS. His moment has passed.
    I also think the difference this season is we aren't necessarily buying bad players, we're getting decent players and wrecking them. Alex Gilbey was MK Dons' player of the year for two successive seasons at this level, and last night looked like a non-league player against that same team. MacGillivray was Pompey's player of the season last year, Scott Fraser was everyone's favourite player but I'm sure we'll ruin him yet. Chuks was a logical signing based on how well he did for us in League One, Stockley was good for actual Charlton before looking like an imposter the whole time Adkins was there after we signed him permanently. DJ was excellent for Swindon at L1 level and looked ready for a step up, Leko was good for us in the Championship but now looks atrocious in League One. There's some signings in there that aren't great, mostly last season under the cap at short notice, but there's few signings I've looked at this season and thought were a terrible idea. In fact, the players who arguably seemed least logical - George Dobson run out by Sunderland and Sean Clare unwanted at Oxford, CBT let go by L2 Tranmere - have given better accounts of themselves than most of the others. The loans have gone sideways, there's no doubt Gallen is struggling to identify usable potential, but the profile of our signings has actually been pretty good on paper. I don't know how far he can be blamed for the failure of the coaching staff to get that talent onto the pitch where others have succeeded. Fresh ideas might be the answer, but as Airman says Driesen was nothing more than an obstacle that has been removed.
    Good on paper, shit in grass, and that's down to Gallen and his massive list of duds
    Meaningless
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Rothko said:
    No better then Farnell puffing himself up on twitter earlier this week.

these rats of the past coming out when results look poor, and some fans jumping on them as honest brokers, is actually quiet sad
    I don't get it either it is proper weird. He's just after five minutes of fame.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Unless I have missed a post - there is no proof, as yet, that this is him posting …..

Happy to be corrected 
    If it isn’t , someone creative has got a lot of time on their hands .  It’s definitely him and good on him for giving us some insight but what he fails to understand is what qualifies him over experienced managers and Charlton people to have the final say on transfers?  I have slippers older than him .

The final say on players should ALWAYS be the manager as far as I’m concerned.

• Options
    ThomasD said:
    That haircut from the picture was taken as a joke because I just cut off my dreadlocks and now my remaining hair was very weird
     Don't feel the need to apologise Thomas.
    Nothing wrong with that haircut whatsoever.
    Philistines!!

Carly x

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    BDL said:

And this is where I just don’t buy it, he takes little responsibility for the poor signings and the sales but all the credit for the good players picked up. It’s fluffing his own reputation
    In fairness, he did say “ The poeple who follow me on twitter have seen me name many times the players I was involved with and that where not a succes (Ceballos, El Hadji Ba, Franck Moussa, Roger Johnson). I probably am forgetting a few.”
    That’s a very convenient list of players who could have been seen as ok signings at the time, compared to some of the utter shit brought over. 
  • Options
    Unless I have missed a post - there is no proof, as yet, that this is him posting …..

Happy to be corrected 
    Easily done. His twitter account can DM the CharltonLife twitter account with details of the email he's used to register on the site, and we can confirm if that's correct.