Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Thomas Driesen Gone? - he popped in on p16, and back out on p26

Comments

• Options
    ThomasD said:
    I like Airman Browns critical eye being passed over poisonous owners like Roland and his fucked up way of running a football club .
    He may not be 100% correct on everything but he pointed out what a clueless out of her depth fool Katrien was and that Roland was and still is poisonous for our club , the bellend even sold to crooks at a bullshit fantasy price that he believes in and which has led to our ground /training ground being split from ownership .
    so take your tone down Thomas D because Airman amongst many things has fought tooth and nail for our club with good intentions All the way .

'Not 100 procent correct?' You are kidding, right? You just saw that he just makes things up to make poeple look bad. Thats what he does.

• Options

From the article above...

Part of the reason has been an internal battle raging between the newly appointed manager and the network scout, which is best illustrated by the signing of Andrew Crofts. We can reveal that a key part of the arguments between Meire and Slade about Crofts stemmed from the fact that Driesen insisted that the midfielder, who has spent the last six seasons playing at a higher level than Charlton’s current League One status, simply wasn’t good enough. Instead, Driesen spent the summer recommending a series of unimpressive foreign players, who have been resisted by Slade to the extent that he has declared he’s not interested in any of Driesen’s views. The episode leaves many questions. Why did Slade have to expend so much time and energy to make what should have been a relatively standard signing of a 32-year-old free agent? And how many more players slipped by as a consequence?

And from Thomas Driesen's post earlier...
    ThomasD said:
    Hi Charlton fans,

When we got relegated from the championship, things changed. Roland and Katrien made a evalution of the scouting and the poeple who made most of the mistakes were not consulted anymore.
    So now it was just me and the manager - Russel Slade. We also had a change in strategy to bring more Englisch players in. Like some people already stated here I quickly had a fallout with Slade over signings.
    He wanted to sign Crofts and Foley and I didnt. Instead of Crofts I wanted to sign John Mcginn who was at that time in the 2nd division of Scottisch football. Slade then sent me an e-mail with Katrien attached that this was ridicilious and Mcginn is no leader and we needed a leader like Crofts. Katrien followed Russel and I was little bit angry with how this all happened, especially the way Russel acted.
    Eek
    It's almost like two people have a different point of view on the same facts.... 

Well I am shocked. 
  • Options
    Is anyone really surprised at what Driesen has said? Maybe the 2 lines (generous) of contrition in the opening post, otherwise true to form for me. 

Anyone really think he doesn’t know exactly who he signed, when, for how much and exactly how well they did or didn’t do? The charlton gig was this guy’s Woodstock. 

Agree McGinn is a dead cat, we’d have had to have actually signed the guy for any of it to play out, and clearly he’d be charltonised if we did. It appears slade did him a favour. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    @ThomasD I question if I may.

If you were yes/noing players put to you by the manager, and others.  What considerations were given to attributes other than x is a good player?

Who considered things like leadership, balance, making sure you had enough goals in the team, left and right footed balance, especially of set piece delivery. 

The details like a center back partnership were you wanted a dominant center back but also one that could play out from the back.

Were things like this considered in the yes/noing or just x is good enough and worth y amount of fee and wages? 

We all know his chief tools were Football Manager and Transfermarket.com (and Roland, the biggest tool of them all).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    He blocked countless ordinary Charlton fans who just asked him questions he didn’t like.
    No malice, no nastiness, just questions.

He has had numerous opportunities to speak to journalists about his real experiences of working under Douchbag at CAFC but never has.

Instead he chooses to ask & be accepted onto a well known supporters forum (where a lot of those he blocked are members) so he can tell his side of the story?????

Nah.

It stinks.
    If there was a 21 page thread about you on a forum wouldn’t you feel entitled to a reply? Aren’t people allowed at least that? 

Like I said, I don’t see an issue with him giving his side of the story. Whether you believe all, some, or none of it is down to you. I was erring towards the latter but the Lee Crofts thing has now been validated to some extent by Airman.
    Andrew not Lee
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    @ThomasD I question if I may.

If you were yes/noing players put to you by the manager, and others.  What considerations were given to attributes other than x is a good player?

Who considered things like leadership, balance, making sure you had enough goals in the team, left and right footed balance, especially of set piece delivery. 

The details like a center back partnership were you wanted a dominant center back but also one that could play out from the back.

Were things like this considered in the yes/noing or just x is good enough and worth y amount of fee and wages? 
    He has dodged every single reasonable question posed to him on here which does not follow his own agenda and narrative so don't expect an answer.

This little twerp was a part of the RD era which destroyed our club and has then spent time baiting fans on Twitter and taking the piss out of the club whilst (by the sounds of it) blocking anyone who questioned him.    Airman was one of the organisers of The Valley Party which saved our club.  Jimmy Stone helped expose so much of what was wrong with our club under RD. Now TD comes here to call them both out.

Not asking for TD to be censored but frankly I don't believe a word of the rubbish he is spinning on here.
    None of that has got anything to do with the question has it? 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    shirty5 said:
    se9addick said:
    He blocked countless ordinary Charlton fans who just asked him questions he didn’t like.
    No malice, no nastiness, just questions.

He has had numerous opportunities to speak to journalists about his real experiences of working under Douchbag at CAFC but never has.

Instead he chooses to ask & be accepted onto a well known supporters forum (where a lot of those he blocked are members) so he can tell his side of the story?????

Nah.

It stinks.
    If there was a 21 page thread about you on a forum wouldn’t you feel entitled to a reply? Aren’t people allowed at least that? 

Like I said, I don’t see an issue with him giving his side of the story. Whether you believe all, some, or none of it is down to you. I was erring towards the latter but the Lee Crofts thing has now been validated to some extent by Airman.
    Andrew not Lee
    Cheers, where the heck did I get Lee from?!
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    This is fascinating. 

My interest in this is as an amateur fan not a professional.

In 2016 I would have shared Airman's view that Andrew Crofts would have been a decent signing based on his performances at the levels above the Division that we were playing. Clearly I was wrong. He even triggered a contract extension but fortunately got picked up by Scunthorpe where he hardly played. 

Similarly I supported the signings of Harry Arter, Joe Ledley ( who was signed in a panic out of the window and pitched straight into action) and Ben Watson based on their previous reputation. All of them were decent players but past their best when we picked them up.

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't sign players in their 30's because the likes of Christian Dailly and Darren Pratley have served us well.

I am interested @ThomasD are there circumstances where you would support the signing of veteran players? 
    Go down the training ground with your boots tomorrow morning Rich. Sure they'll have a look at you mate

😉
  • Options
    You've gotta say. Pulling out the McGinn receipts was outstanding from Thomas.

Also in general the idea that someone stopping us from signing Crofts and Foley was somehow bad has aged very badly.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    ThomasD said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41067065

A reason why we might not have gone for Mcginn....

Hibernian say they have turned down an offer of about £750,000 from Nottingham Forest for midfielder John McGinn.

The 22-year-old, who has three Scotland caps, joined Hibs from St Mirren in July 2015, signing a four-year contract at Easter Road.

Asked if he anticipated further offers, Hibs head coach Neil Lennon told BBC Scotland: "Possibly.

"But the initial bid is nowhere near our valuation of the player. I think it was round about £750,000."

Ended up going to Aston Villa for £2m+ in the last year of his deal with interest from Celtic too. 

Essentially there was no way he was going to a League One club on our budget. 

Unimpressive foreign player according to Airmanbrown 
    Where does he say that ?

He like literally says it in his "article" 

This e-mail is the only discussion I had with Russel about players. These are the unimpressive foreign players he is talking about :D

From this:

he goes to this:

Part of the reason has been an internal battle raging between the newly appointed manager and the network scout, which is best illustrated by the signing of Andrew Crofts. We can reveal that a key part of the arguments between Meire and Slade about Crofts stemmed from the fact that Driesen insisted that the midfielder, who has spent the last six seasons playing at a higher level than Charlton’s current League One status, simply wasn’t good enough. Instead, Driesen spent the summer recommending a series of unimpressive foreign players, who have been resisted by Slade to the extent that he has declared he’s not interested in any of Driesen’s views. The episode leaves many questions. Why did Slade have to expend so much time and energy to make what should have been a relatively standard signing of a 32-year-old free agent? And how many more players slipped by as a consequence?

He takes a story, keeps 1% truth and then makes up all the rest. It's sad really.

I wasnt lying when I said that I have evidence of almost everything that happened. 

• Options
    You've gotta say. Pulling out the McGinn receipts was outstanding from Thomas.

Also in general the idea that someone stopping us from signing Crofts and Foley was somehow bad has aged very badly.
    Pretty sure TD wasn’t born when we signed Theo 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Reading this just reminds me how toxic and damaging Roland’s reign was, and how he cripples us with ownership of the Valley and TG even today. TD was instrumental in this regime and mismanagement. I don’t particularly respect his post on CL, even though he doesn’t paint a great picture of himself and he finally admits to some of his many, many failures. I don’t respect it because on Twitter he has a different tone. He’s defensive, antagonistic and goads Charlton supporters when results are bad. However bad it is now this is all a timely reminder that it was so much worse when TD had his greatest influence.
  • Options
    Would be interesting to hear what @ThomasD role in Yann's departure was? No doubt he will deny having anything to do with it.
  • Options
    Journalism? This is the level of The Sun "journalism". 

It's feeding a perception of someone with lies to back that perception. It's smart, but also really sad. I'm sure fans would love to hear the truth and then make up their own mind instead of being fed these kind of lies.

I can understand you don't want me here as I have all the evidence to expose you.

I will take a look at some more stuff you published
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    This is fascinating. 

In 2016 I would have shared Airman's view that Andrew Crofts would have been a decent signing based on his performances at the levels above the Division that we were playing. Clearly I was wrong. He even triggered a contract extension but fortunately got picked up by Scunthorpe where he hardly played. 

Similarly I supported the signings of Harry Arter, Joe Ledley ( who was signed in a panic out of the window and pitched straight into action) and Ben Watson based on their previous reputation. All of them were decent players but past their best when we picked them up.

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't sign players in their 30's because the likes of Christian Dailly and Darren Pratley have served us well.

I am interested @ThomasD are there circumstances where you would support the signing of veteran players? 
    1. The article was not written by Rick, it was by Matt Wright

2. The article states that Russell Slade wanted Andrew Crofts.
  • Options
    Are Allen and Grant , Scott Allen the Scottish midfielder that started out at Dundee United and went to West Brom and Jorge Grant who's name has come up on here a few times over the years when midfielders are discussed and is currently at at Peterborough?
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    This is fascinating. 

Really interesting question. Genuinely think we need a Pratley 2.0 this summer, but how do we make sure we get the new Pratley instead of the new Watson.
  • Options
    ThomasD said:
    Journalism? This is the level of The Sun "journalism". 

It's feeding a perception of someone with lies to back that perception. It's smart, but also really sad. I'm sure fans would love to hear the truth and then make up their own mind instead of being fed these kind of lies.

I can understand you don't want me here as I have all the evidence to expose you.

I will take a look at some more stuff you published
    Over to you
  • Options
    Question is @ThomasD - interested in freelancing this summer to see if we're better off with or without you? I'm sure Sandgaard would consider if you had enough support...