Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Thomas Driesen Gone? - he popped in on p16, and back out on p26

Comments

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    I shall ask again ...

Would be interesting to hear what @ThomasD role in Yann's departure was? No doubt he will deny having anything to do with it.
    He did deny it. But BDL said he's lying because he was party to the discussions. He said it was actually Thomas's decision. You'll have to read back. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Richard J said:
    This is fascinating. 

My interest in this is as an amateur fan not a professional.

In 2016 I would have shared Airman's view that Andrew Crofts would have been a decent signing based on his performances at the levels above the Division that we were playing. Clearly I was wrong. He even triggered a contract extension but fortunately got picked up by Scunthorpe where he hardly played. 

Similarly I supported the signings of Harry Arter, Joe Ledley ( who was signed in a panic out of the window and pitched straight into action) and Ben Watson based on their previous reputation. All of them were decent players but past their best when we picked them up.

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't sign players in their 30's because the likes of Christian Dailly and Darren Pratley have served us well.

I am interested @ThomasD are there circumstances where you would support the signing of veteran players? 
    I’m surprised how many people are treating TD as some sort of scouting guru. 

• Options
    ThomasD said:
    Thomas didn't bring up the article and was right to call it out.

He's also just shown that his being "a block to transfers" could have turned Andrew Crofts, who played one season before being done with us, into John McGinn.

It's almost as if signing past it 30+ year olds is a bad use of funds when your budget is tight. At least we've learned our lesson.... Oh wait.
    If I wasnt there to 'block' in the promotion season you would have had Abu Ogogo - who is now playing for Southend in the national league - instead of Josh Cullen. And i'm not even joking. 
    There’s truth in that, I remember us being linked with him before we missed out to Coventry. He played a big part in Shrewsbury making the League 1 playoff final.

I’m not convinced that he was first choice ahead of Cullen - Bowyer wanted a big physical midfielder and because we didn’t sign Ogogo we brought in Pratley.

Cullen signed late in the window and I would guess only because Forster-Caskey got injured and was out for the season.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    cafc999 said:
    I shall ask again ...

Would be interesting to hear what @ThomasD role in Yann's departure was? No doubt he will deny having anything to do with it.
    He did deny it. But BDL said he's lying because he was party to the discussions. He said it was actually Thomas's decision. You'll have to read back. 
    lol so BDL -who I dont even know- was attached in the e-mail I had sent to Roland where I say he is one of our best players and we should keep him? Amazing
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    ThomasD said:

He's also just shown that his being "a block to transfers" could have turned Andrew Crofts, who played one season before being done with us, into John McGinn.

It's almost as if signing past it 30+ year olds is a bad use of funds when your budget is tight. At least we've learned our lesson.... Oh wait.
    If I wasnt there to 'block' in the promotion season you would have had Abu Ogogo - who is now playing for Southend in the national league - instead of Josh Cullen. And i'm not even joking. 
    There’s truth in that, I remember us being linked with him before we missed out to Coventry. He played a big part in Shrewsbury making the League 1 playoff final.

I’m not convinced that he was first choice ahead of Cullen - Bowyer wanted a big physical midfielder and because we didn’t sign Ogogo we brought in Pratley.

Cullen signed late in the window and I would guess only because Forster-Caskey got injured and was out for the season.
    Cullen got offered to us by West Ham late in the window as he had done well the season before. 

On a side note I heard that TD turned up at the hotel following the play off win dressed in full tracksuit hoping to celebrate with the players. I wonder how that went?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    ThomasD said:
    Chunes said:
    cafc999 said:
    I shall ask again ...

lol so BDL -who I dont even know- was attached in the e-mail I had sent to Roland where I say he is one of our best players and we should keep him? Amazing
    Thats not what Yann or Katrien said mate. They both told me exactly the same thing a few days apart, which means that someone is telling lies? So, who could be telling lies? you or Katrien and Yann? Are you going to expose them the same way you threatened to expose Airman?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    cafc999 said:
    Scoham said:
    ThomasD said:

Cullen got offered to us by West Ham late in the window as he had done well the season before. 

On a side note I heard that TD turned up at the hotel following the play off win dressed in full tracksuit hoping to celebrate with the players. I wonder how that went?
    What are you talking about, West Ham didn't offer us anything. We went to them. And i'ts one of the rare cases where you go to a club and you can actually get the player. Most of times its an agent game. 

Yes I was at the party, not in a tracksuit. It's a shame I cant post videos here, great party, great night. It was in the hotel I was staying in.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Scoham said:
    ThomasD said:

Point of order Cullen really struggled at Bolton the year before, the year before that he was very good for Bradford.  Anyway.... 
  • Options
    Will I read through the moaning of someone who goaded Charlton fans when we lost and blocked me on Twitter when I asked questions he wouldn’t answer as the truth would have put him in a bad light? 
    Nah
    You are correct. You have done the right thing. 
    Here I am sucked in by the soap opera and all the fools feeding his ego.

I should have stopped reading when he called Rick "poison" but I didn't and I won't.
    I need help.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Scoham said:
    ThomasD said:

The summer we were after Agogo then signed Pratley was 2018, the first time we signed Cullen
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafc999 said:
    Scoham said:
    ThomasD said:

Point of order Cullen really struggled at Bolton the year before, the year before that he was very good for Bradford.  Anyway.... 
    I stand corrected. 
  • Options
    @ThomasD meet me in Macro car park, you choose when.
    No if’s or but’s.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I wonder if Lee Bowyer has any contacts at West Ham....... He only played there twice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    cafc999 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafc999 said:
    Scoham said:
    ThomasD said:

I stand corrected. 
    I also remember Bowyer and Gallen saying, that had to wait all summer to get.. And persistence paid off in the end..  Which was the case for the Championship season, as they thought he was going to be part of West Ham's plans!

I also believe Bowyer turned him in to a lot better player.
    Bowyer never heared of the player when I proposed him. He didn't know him.But you are right that he turned him into a better player. He did this with all players and this is one of his main qualities. It also makes scouting easier if you are signing young promising players and you know the manager will develop them. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Anyway, unlike @ThomasD I have work to do.

See yer later Full Kit W##ker
    Well, at least you tried to have a sensible discussion before typing one of the most pathetic posts in this thread.

Good job.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Anyway, unlike @ThomasD I have work to do.

See yer later Full Kit W##ker
    Well, at least you tried to have a sensible discussion before typing one of the most pathetic posts in this thread.

Good job.
    It was my take on a bit of satire - sorry you didn't get the joke but happy that you found such a pathetic post needed to be commented on.

Good job
  • Options
    ThomasD said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Interesting read.. and a good insight that is for sure.. But we can all agree scouting and recruiting players has changed a lot over time. And no doubt TD played a role in some of good bits of business and some poor bits.. But fair play coming on here to give an opinion, which I think we should respect him for that.

I don't think our recruitment on paper has been overall bad, but maybe just mismanaged.. We have benefit previously from players coming to us, having made no impact at other clubs. George Dobson for example.

Recommending players I think is the easy part, but getting an understanding of the personality, speaking to people who knows the player, are they happy living in a big city, what could effect them personally.. Who's reasonability is that? That for me is a key!

Then do they really want to come to Charlton, or is it just about money?! 

Didn’t George Dobson save Wimbledon from relegation last season almost single handedly?
    Erm, no?
    Erm, yes actually, with all due respect. He joined them at the end of January 2021 when they'd lost nine of their previous eleven matches and were firmly in the relegation zone. His second appearance saw a shock win away at Wigan, and from then on things changed. 
    In their next ten games they lost only three, drew five and won two. They became harder to beat.
    Their last eight matches of the season saw four wins, three draws and just one defeat. They ended four points clear of the relegation places.
    My Wimbledon mate said he was key in the turn round in their form, and I'm quite sure that's why we signed him. 
    I remember hearing about this when we signed him, and was disappointed to see his early progress at Charlton was what we'd hoped for.
    It's odd that TD is still insisting George is League 2 level, when clearly he isn't. This doesn't exactly enhance Thomas's reputation in my opinion. I'd respect him more if he admitted he'd got that wrong. Every team needs a George Dobson. It doesn't matter if he doesn't score many goals.

I only saw Dobson one game for Wimbledon and two games for Charlton. Three times he was very bad on the ball. Maybe if I would scout him like a potential signing (watching +- 10 games) I would change my mind and admit I am wrong about him. 

I also think the times of having a '6' that wins the ball and is not so good on the ball and then having a 8 who runs and a 10 for creativity are long gone. Only in England they seem to stick more by it. Your midfield can be so much better when you take players who are more complete. If you have a '6' that is also better on the ball (like Cullen or Bielik are) you have such a advantage playing out of the back. 
    This is reasonable. But Dobson's distribution isn't bad. He doesn't play killer passes or even key passes, but he distributes to the wings fairly reliably. I'm trying to think of players in this league who perform that role and add something progressive - I suppose MK Dons had Conor Coventry as their defensive midfielder, and he did play a killer pass for an assist in a dominant display, but he's a fringe first-team West Ham player. Those can be pretty hard to get hold of.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Interesting read.. and a good insight that is for sure.. But we can all agree scouting and recruiting players has changed a lot over time. And no doubt TD played a role in some of good bits of business and some poor bits.. But fair play coming on here to give an opinion, which I think we should respect him for that.

I don't think our recruitment on paper has been overall bad, but maybe just mismanaged.. We have benefit previously from players coming to us, having made no impact at other clubs. George Dobson for example.

Recommending players I think is the easy part, but getting an understanding of the personality, speaking to people who knows the player, are they happy living in a big city, what could effect them personally.. Who's reasonability is that? That for me is a key!

Then do they really want to come to Charlton, or is it just about money?! 

Didn’t George Dobson save Wimbledon from relegation last season almost single handedly?
    Erm, no?
    Erm, yes actually, with all due respect. He joined them at the end of January 2021 when they'd lost nine of their previous eleven matches and were firmly in the relegation zone. His second appearance saw a shock win away at Wigan, and from then on things changed. 
    In their next ten games they lost only three, drew five and won two. They became harder to beat.
    Their last eight matches of the season saw four wins, three draws and just one defeat. They ended four points clear of the relegation places.
    My Wimbledon mate said he was key in the turn round in their form, and I'm quite sure that's why we signed him. 
    I remember hearing about this when we signed him, and was disappointed to see his early progress at Charlton was what we'd hoped for.
    It's odd that TD is still insisting George is League 2 level, when clearly he isn't. This doesn't exactly enhance Thomas's reputation in my opinion. I'd respect him more if he admitted he'd got that wrong. Every team needs a George Dobson. It doesn't matter if he doesn't score many goals.

No signing will single-handedly keep you in the division. Dobson was no doubt a factor. He grafts his nuts off for the team, but it's simplistic to suggest that Dobson was the reason they stayed up.

Correlation doesn't equal causation. We have no idea how they would have done without Dobson. Joe Piggott goals and the emergency of Assal were big factors in keeping them up. 

TD was being churlish re: Dobson and I think he has shown he's a useful midfielder in a middling league one side. I doubt he'll ever play higher than L1 though.