Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Thomas Driesen Gone? - he popped in on p16, and back out on p26

Comments

• Options
    ThomasD said:
    Journalism? This is the level of The Sun "journalism". 

It's feeding a perception of someone with lies to back that perception. It's smart, but also really sad. I'm sure fans would love to hear the truth and then make up their own mind instead of being fed these kind of lies.

I can understand you don't want me here as I have all the evidence to expose you.

I will take a look at some more stuff you published
    Journalism holds people to account. Those people usually don’t like being held to account and lately led by Mr Trump, their defence is to criticise the journalists.

there’s no getting away with the fact that you were a senior member of a regime that has heaped enormous damage onto this club. Racking up incredible debt with poor management by inexperienced people. Roland still wants his money back, that’s why we as a club are crippled by not owning our own ground. We’re now vulnerable to being owned by crooks, luckily we have an owner prepared to take us on even with a madman owning the majority of the assets. That’s why your criticism of the club is especially galling, you helped create this mess in the first place!
    Current mainstream journalism does nothing of the sort.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    SE7toSG3 said:
    My personal view is that having, alongside most on here witnessed my football club being driven to the point of extinction by the Spivs, Duchatelet, ESI and a myriad of conmen, crooks, bluffers and dentists,

what ever his side of the story, Driesen was part of that.   

As we languish in the lower reaches of a lower league and I trapse up to Sheffield on Saturday with little hope, just following my team, I have no stomach or desire to hear his side of the story.

Our current predicament was not down to to an individual decision or person, its a culmination of the lot of them and Driesen was part of that. 

That might read as bitter, short sighted or belligerent but its how I feel, I can ignore the thread just as AFKA suggests, but I cant forget, I wish @ThomasD would just jog on from my club and leave me to pick up the pieces, Roland was the closest I came to walking away from football, his ownership was to me anti football and Driesen was knowingly part of that regime.

I can never forgive or try to understand, they have put me through years of misery protest and angst, so for that reason I am out.        
    @SE7toSG3 I’m playing devils advocate a bit but I know I can ask you and have a civil debate with because you are a mate.  

Driesen was hired by Duchatelet to work off field on the football side of the club. So too were Bowyer, Gallen, Jose Riga, Tracey Leaburn to name a few. 

What’s the difference as to why all those are ok, but Driesen has always been to many the devil incarnate? 

Correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t think he said anything publicly derogatory when in role (even though he’s had abuse and ridicule since day 1). 

It feels to me that’s been purely based on the assumption that because he was young, we all naturally assumed inexperienced and was inappropriate. That was probably my view at the time. The photos with the silly hair probably aggravated that. Over time though I’ve definitely revised my view and probably appreciate that the role of an analyst in football recruitment is more central to what I probably appreciated then, and I can’t see what this bloke has done in his job that would trigger such abuse and hatred.  

I do as little Twitter as I have to as I find it poisonous and unhealthy, so perhaps there has been stuff I’ve not been privy to. I also don’t think Driesen does himself any favours in the way he responds to people, but then again I’ve not been subject to years of personal abuse and piss taking. 

Can always count on you being level headed. 

Reading this thread, some just come across as blinded by hate and anger, fortunately there are some who can be level headed.

Whilst I appreciate TD coming here and giving us some insight, like many others he chose to block me when I raised a question to him. Which for me lowers he credibility somewhat. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    ThomasD said:
    Chunes said:
    cafc999 said:
    I shall ask again ...

Would be interesting to hear what @ThomasD role in Yann's departure was? No doubt he will deny having anything to do with it.
    He did deny it. But BDL said he's lying because he was party to the discussions. He said it was actually Thomas's decision. You'll have to read back. 
    lol so BDL -who I dont even know- was attached in the e-mail I had sent to Roland where I say he is one of our best players and we should keep him? Amazing
    Thats not what Yann or Katrien said mate. They both told me exactly the same thing a few days apart, which means that someone is telling lies? So, who could be telling lies? you or Katrien and Yann? Are you going to expose them the same way you threatened to expose Airman?
    He’s getting found out now. Ruined our club and has the cheek to come on here threatening people.
  • Options
    Compelling yet somehow tragic. 
  • Options
    So much for "be kind" etc. lol
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Gribbo said:
    SE7toSG3 said:
    My personal view is that having, alongside most on here witnessed my football club being driven to the point of extinction by the Spivs, Duchatelet, ESI and a myriad of conmen, crooks, bluffers and dentists,

As we languish in the lower reaches of a lower league and I trapse up to Sheffield on Saturday with little hope, just following my team, I have no stomach or desire to hear his side of the story.

Our current predicament was not down to to an individual decision or person, its a culmination of the lot of them and Driesen was part of that. 

That might read as bitter, short sighted or belligerent but its how I feel, I can ignore the thread just as AFKA suggests, but I cant forget, I wish @ThomasD would just jog on from my club and leave me to pick up the pieces, Roland was the closest I came to walking away from football, his ownership was to me anti football and Driesen was knowingly part of that regime.

I can never forgive or try to understand, they have put me through years of misery protest and angst, so for that reason I am out.        
    @SE7toSG3 I’m playing devils advocate a bit but I know I can ask you and have a civil debate with because you are a mate.  

Driesen was hired by Duchatelet to work off field on the football side of the club. So too were Bowyer, Gallen, Jose Riga, Tracey Leaburn to name a few. 

What’s the difference as to why all those are ok, but Driesen has always been to many the devil incarnate? 

Correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t think he said anything publicly derogatory when in role (even though he’s had abuse and ridicule since day 1). 

It feels to me that’s been purely based on the assumption that because he was young, we all naturally assumed inexperienced and was inappropriate. That was probably my view at the time. The photos with the silly hair probably aggravated that. Over time though I’ve definitely revised my view and probably appreciate that the role of an analyst in football recruitment is more central to what I probably appreciated then, and I can’t see what this bloke has done in his job that would trigger such abuse and hatred.  

I do as little Twitter as I have to as I find it poisonous and unhealthy, so perhaps there has been stuff I’ve not been privy to. I also don’t think Driesen does himself any favours in the way he responds to people, but then again I’ve not been subject to years of personal abuse and piss taking. 

Same thing with Martin Sandgaard. I'm not opinionating in any way for or against his appointment, but imo there's far to much vitriol aimed at his appointment than is necessary. 

I thought his (MS) role was "Director if Analysis", which surely requires more IT and statistical expertise, along with some football knowledge, but you wouldn't necessarily need to be a footballing mastermind?
    I think the question is really ‘why would you appoint someone who has little or no experience in the role, over someone who has’. 
    Agree that no one should be aiming vitriol at Martin though. Or anyone else for that matter!
    I hope Martin does a great job, whatever his qualifications. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    SE7toSG3 said:

Same thing with Martin Sandgaard. I'm not opinionating in any way for or against his appointment, but imo there's far to much vitriol aimed at his appointment than is necessary. 

I thought his (MS) role was "Director if Analysis", which surely requires more IT and statistical expertise, along with some football knowledge, but you wouldn't necessarily need to be a footballing mastermind
    He will absolutely need to understand football, otherwise, what are you analysing. Stats or data for data's sake isn't valuable to anyone. 

There are several very smart people looking for jobs in this department. It is one of the most in-demand roles in football and the growth in football analytics has been vast over the past few years. The pandemic helped drive demand for this role up as teams could no more send people to watch games.

It's not impossible that Sandgaard Jr is the best person for this role, however, I'm going to file it under highly unlikely.

If he's intelligent, willing to learn and understands football somewhat then I guess there's no reason he couldn't be good at his job. Fingers crossed, I guess.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    ThomasD said:
    BDL said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    cafc999 said:
    I shall ask again ...

Would be interesting to hear what @ThomasD role in Yann's departure was? No doubt he will deny having anything to do with it.
    He did deny it. But BDL said he's lying because he was party to the discussions. He said it was actually Thomas's decision. You'll have to read back. 
    Not saying @BDL is a liar, more that people may be misunderstanding his position. 

I don't believe a stadium announcer would be a 'party to the discussions' as to whether or not we kept Yann. He might have heard it from others in the club, but he was unlikely in my opinion to have ever been a part of the actual buy/sell discussions. 
    I think part of the problem is "network scout" seems to have become Thomas and only Thomas.  Yet he says he wasn't the only one.  So it is plausible, however unlikely, that a "network scout" was the reason we sold Yann but that wasn't Thomas.  

As far as I am aware he is the only one that has ever commented on anything semi publicly. 

Maybe if he said who the other ones were, who werethe Standard scouts that recommend Reza, Koch, Turam?  The second and third windows were very good and the fourth was hampered by injuries and not dissimilar to now. 

There is no reason to suggest that Thomas wasn't the only one left by the time KM left. 

Yeap, that was what I was back then, but I know what I know. I'm not going to disclose why or how but I'm clear that Driesen is lying. Nothing he says can be trusted. Nothing!
    Stop lying, I literally have the reports that I talked about in my first post from the French speaking network scout where he said not to keep Yann. I have never sent a report in French in my life to Roland or Katrien as all three of us ar native Dutch speaking.

This means nothing till we see your report, although how do we know you’re not creating it right now to try and save your reputation.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Gribbo said:
    SE7toSG3 said:

I thought his (MS) role was "Director if Analysis", which surely requires more IT and statistical expertise, along with some football knowledge, but you wouldn't necessarily need to be a footballing mastermind?
    I think the question is really ‘why would you appoint someone who has little or no experience in the role, over someone who has’. 
    Agree that no one should be aiming vitriol at Martin though. Or anyone else for that matter!
    Knowledge is one thing, but experience can only really be gained "on the job" and everyone has to start some I spose. Look at Jacko / Bowyer / Powell all newbies in their role at Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    SE7toSG3 said:

I thought his (MS) role was "Director if Analysis", which surely requires more IT and statistical expertise, along with some football knowledge, but you wouldn't necessarily need to be a footballing mastermind
    He will absolutely need to understand football, otherwise, what are you analysing. Stats or data for data's sake isn't valuable to anyone. 

There are several very smart people looking for jobs in this department. It is one of the most in-demand roles in football and the growth in football analytics has been vast over the past few years. The pandemic helped drive demand for this role up as teams could no more send people to watch games.

It's not impossible that Sandgaard Jr is the best person for this role, however, I'm going to file it under highly unlikely.

If he's intelligent, willing to learn and understands football somewhat then I guess there's no reason he couldn't be good at his job. Fingers crossed, I guess.
    I think it just sometimes comes down to who you know and not what you know, and a lot if times, it pays off.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    ThomasD said:
    Journalism? This is the level of The Sun "journalism". 

It's feeding a perception of someone with lies to back that perception. It's smart, but also really sad. I'm sure fans would love to hear the truth and then make up their own mind instead of being fed these kind of lies.

I can understand you don't want me here as I have all the evidence to expose you.

I will take a look at some more stuff you published
    Journalism holds people to account. Those people usually don’t like being held to account and lately led by Mr Trump, their defence is to criticise the journalists.

there’s no getting away with the fact that you were a senior member of a regime that has heaped enormous damage onto this club. Racking up incredible debt with poor management by inexperienced people. Roland still wants his money back, that’s why we as a club are crippled by not owning our own ground. We’re now vulnerable to being owned by crooks, luckily we have an owner prepared to take us on even with a madman owning the majority of the assets. That’s why your criticism of the club is especially galling, you helped create this mess in the first place!
    Current mainstream journalism does nothing of the sort.
    I did mean proper journalists not the gutter press. I’ve worked with countless journalists all my career and the vast majority have high morals and a thirst for exposing the truth. Essential for a democratic society. Sorry you don’t feel the same.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Gribbo said:
    SE7toSG3 said:

Knowledge is one thing, but experience can only really be gained "on the job" and everyone has to start some I spose. Look at Jacko / Bowyer / Powell all newbies in their role at Charlton
    True, but if we take all Thomas has told us here, plus your source, at face value, he got his initial gig in football at Standard, as a junior scout, for which I'm guessing  he started on €40k pa maximum. probably less initially, and then suddenly was brought over to Charlton to play a senior role and be paid £286,000 plus bonuses. That may happen to players, of course it has happened to Burstow, but I really don't think it happens to backroom staff, not in any normally run club with limited finances. Why should it ?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Gribbo said:
    SE7toSG3 said:

But they had worked in professional football all their adult lives.
    I understand that but, like everyone else, they still had to start somewhere. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Gribbo said:
    SE7toSG3 said:

True, but if we take all Thomas has told us here, plus your source, at face value, he got his initial gig in football at Standard, as a junior scout, for which I'm guessing  he started on €40k pa maximum. probably less initially, and then suddenly was brought over to Charlton to play a senior role and be paid £286,000 plus bonuses. That may happen to players, of course it has happened to Burstow, but I really don't think it happens to backroom staff, not in any normally run club with limited finances. Why should it ?
    I was joking about the £286k + figure, to get a rise out of Tommy but I think he liked the post, so maybe I was closer than I thought I'd be lol
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Gribbo said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Gribbo said:
    SE7toSG3 said:

Well let's take that figure with a pinch of salt, but you should pay your recruitment guys good money.

If they are good at their job they will save you millions.  Also the biggest driver for on pitch success is recruitment and the quality available to the manager.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Gribbo said:
    SE7toSG3 said:

Well let's take that figure with a pinch of salt, but you should pay your recruitment guys good money.

If they are good at their job they will save you millions.  Also the biggest driver for on pitch success is recruitment and the quality available to the manager.
    Therein lies the rub. The Roland era was an exercise in pissing money up the wall, in an attempt to succeed in a new market. Still he’s got some real estate in south london off the back of it, so who’s really the fool??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is giving me post-Boris Cummings vibes...
    Ew.....
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    End of the day, he was an employee handed a great opportunity at a young age, that many here would consider a bit of a dream job. So I don't think we can blame him for the Roland regime, he was merely an actor within it.

Professionalism and quality of his recommendations are certainly up for criticism and debate, but you can't really blame him for the scope of the influence he was given by Roland.
    Maybe not. However since he has come along here voluntarily, it is reasonable to ask him, as I have tried to do, whether on reflection eight years later (older? wiser?) -   he was ready and equipped for that scope of influence. So far he has not replied to me.
    Tbh, I heard from a very good source that @ThomasD was on £286k a year + performance bonuses etc, so £286k a year must've been some carrot for him, regardless what his role was
    @Airman Brown may correct me but I believe that would make him more highly paid than Meire, which seems unlikely. That said, we are talking Duchatelet here, and I see that TD has liked your post....
    You’ve been gone too long @PragueAddick and forgotten your British sense of humour! Pretty sure it was a joke. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    End of the day, he was an employee handed a great opportunity at a young age, that many here would consider a bit of a dream job. So I don't think we can blame him for the Roland regime, he was merely an actor within it.

Professionalism and quality of his recommendations are certainly up for criticism and debate, but you can't really blame him for the scope of the influence he was given by Roland.
    Maybe not. However since he has come along here voluntarily, it is reasonable to ask him, as I have tried to do, whether on reflection eight years later (older? wiser?) -   he was ready and equipped for that scope of influence. So far he has not replied to me.
    Tbh, I heard from a very good source that @ThomasD was on £286k a year + performance bonuses etc, so £286k a year must've been some carrot for him, regardless what his role was
    @Airman Brown may correct me but I believe that would make him more highly paid than Meire, which seems unlikely. That said, we are talking Duchatelet here, and I see that TD has liked your post....
    You’ve been gone too long @PragueAddick and forgotten your British sense of humour! Pretty sure it was a joke. 
    Oh, arse.🥵 Guilty as charged! 

Mind you look at some of the other credulous comments around it....
  • Options
    For Thomas if you’re still reading this you may well call Airman Brown’s Voice of the Valley ‘crappy’, but try to be aware you’re not a Charlton Athletic fan, your agenda is different to his. In my view Airman approaches Charlton affairs truthfully, passionately, with appropriate scepticism, only interested in forces for the betterment of the club. Airman is a good organiser, and will take and facilitate action rather than confine himself to only the written word, which you call ‘crappy’…he puts his money where his mouth is.

For others my small recollection is about the Supporters Trust AGM at the Swan in the Autumn following Bowyers Wembley promotion. A game Mr Driesen attended.
    I write from memory, but there were about 100 in attendance at the AGM, the team were doing pretty well, and Connor Gallagher was exciting us all.
    The special guest was Steve Gallen.
    As is my wont I asked Steve the first question which was about recruiting in relation to Thomas Driesens ‘influence’.
    Steve was diplomatic, articulate, and warm when addressing the subject. He was vague about the nature of any collaboration, recognised that Thomas Driesen had influence, but intimated that influence needed to be managed and handled. I distinctly remember him saying that post Wembley he encouraged Lee Bowyer and Jacko to be nice to Thomas, not ignore him, make a fuss of him. Steve was not going to frame Thomas Driesen as any pain in the arse, but as a factor in the job, part of the hand he had to play.
    On that occasion by the way I found Steve Gallen to be wholly admirable, but he acknowledged football is a results business.
    Anybody else reading this have any memory of that AGM?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    For Thomas if you’re still reading this you may well call Airman Brown’s Voice of the Valley ‘crappy’, but try to be aware you’re not a Charlton Athletic fan, your agenda is different to his. In my view Airman approaches Charlton affairs truthfully, passionately, with appropriate scepticism, only interested in forces for the betterment of the club. Airman is a good organiser, and will take and facilitate action rather than confine himself to only the written word, which you call ‘crappy’…he puts his money where his mouth is.

For others my small recollection is about the Supporters Trust AGM at the Swan in the Autumn following Bowyers Wembley promotion. A game Mr Driesen attended.
    I write from memory, but there were about 100 in attendance at the AGM, the team were doing pretty well, and Connor Gallagher was exciting us all.
    The special guest was Steve Gallen.
    As is my wont I asked Steve the first question which was about recruiting in relation to Thomas Driesens ‘influence’.
    Steve was diplomatic, articulate, and warm when addressing the subject. He was vague about the nature of any collaboration, recognised that Thomas Driesen had influence, but intimated that influence needed to be managed and handled. I distinctly remember him saying that post Wembley he encouraged Lee Bowyer and Jacko to be nice to Thomas, not ignore him, make a fuss of him. Steve was not going to frame Thomas Driesen as any pain in the arse, but as a factor in the job, part of the hand he had to play.
    On that occasion by the way I found Steve Gallen to be wholly admirable, but he acknowledged football is a results business.
    Anybody else reading this have any memory of that AGM?
    Yes. It was in The Bugle Horn and there were about 50 people there but your memory of what Steve Gallen said is spot on. It was a master class in tact.