Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Thomas Driesen Gone? - he popped in on p16, and back out on p26

Comments

• Options
    ThomasD said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Interesting read.. and a good insight that is for sure.. But we can all agree scouting and recruiting players has changed a lot over time. And no doubt TD played a role in some of good bits of business and some poor bits.. But fair play coming on here to give an opinion, which I think we should respect him for that.

I don't think our recruitment on paper has been overall bad, but maybe just mismanaged.. We have benefit previously from players coming to us, having made no impact at other clubs. George Dobson for example.

Recommending players I think is the easy part, but getting an understanding of the personality, speaking to people who knows the player, are they happy living in a big city, what could effect them personally.. Who's reasonability is that? That for me is a key!

Then do they really want to come to Charlton, or is it just about money?! 

Didn’t George Dobson save Wimbledon from relegation last season almost single handedly?
    Erm, no?
    Erm, yes actually, with all due respect. He joined them at the end of January 2021 when they'd lost nine of their previous eleven matches and were firmly in the relegation zone. His second appearance saw a shock win away at Wigan, and from then on things changed. 
    In their next ten games they lost only three, drew five and won two. They became harder to beat.
    Their last eight matches of the season saw four wins, three draws and just one defeat. They ended four points clear of the relegation places.
    My Wimbledon mate said he was key in the turn round in their form, and I'm quite sure that's why we signed him. 
    I remember hearing about this when we signed him, and was disappointed to see his early progress at Charlton was what we'd hoped for.
    It's odd that TD is still insisting George is League 2 level, when clearly he isn't. This doesn't exactly enhance Thomas's reputation in my opinion. I'd respect him more if he admitted he'd got that wrong. Every team needs a George Dobson. It doesn't matter if he doesn't score many goals.

I only saw Dobson one game for Wimbledon and two games for Charlton. Three times he was very bad on the ball. Maybe if I would scout him like a potential signing (watching +- 10 games) I would change my mind and admit I am wrong about him. 

I also think the times of having a '6' that wins the ball and is not so good on the ball and then having a 8 who runs and a 10 for creativity are long gone. Only in England they seem to stick more by it. Your midfield can be so much better when you take players who are more complete. If you have a '6' that is also better on the ball (like Cullen or Bielik are) you have such a advantage playing out of the back. 
    Comparatively to Gilbey and Morgan lately Dobson has been pretty smooth on the ball.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    cafc999 said:
    I shall ask again ...

Would be interesting to hear what @ThomasD role in Yann's departure was? No doubt he will deny having anything to do with it.
    He did deny it. But BDL said he's lying because he was party to the discussions. He said it was actually Thomas's decision. You'll have to read back. 
    Not saying @BDL is a liar, more that people may be misunderstanding his position. 

I don't believe a stadium announcer would be a 'party to the discussions' as to whether or not we kept Yann. He might have heard it from others in the club, but he was unlikely in my opinion to have ever been a part of the actual buy/sell discussions. 
    I think part of the problem is "network scout" seems to have become Thomas and only Thomas.  Yet he says he wasn't the only one.  So it is plausible, however unlikely, that a "network scout" was the reason we sold Yann but that wasn't Thomas.  

As far as I am aware he is the only one that has ever commented on anything semi publicly. 

Maybe if he said who the other ones were, who werethe Standard scouts that recommend Reza, Koch, Turam?  The second and third windows were very good and the fourth was hampered by injuries and not dissimilar to now. 

There is no reason to suggest that Thomas wasn't the only one left by the time KM left. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    cafc999 said:
    I shall ask again ...

Would be interesting to hear what @ThomasD role in Yann's departure was? No doubt he will deny having anything to do with it.
    He did deny it. But BDL said he's lying because he was party to the discussions. He said it was actually Thomas's decision. You'll have to read back. 
    Not saying @BDL is a liar, more that people may be misunderstanding his position. 

I don't believe a stadium announcer would be a 'party to the discussions' as to whether or not we kept Yann. He might have heard it from others in the club, but he was unlikely in my opinion to have ever been a part of the actual buy/sell discussions. 
    I think part of the problem is "network scout" seems to have become Thomas and only Thomas.  Yet he says he wasn't the only one.  So it is plausible, however unlikely, that a "network scout" was the reason we sold Yann but that wasn't Thomas.  

As far as I am aware he is the only one that has ever commented on anything semi publicly. 

Maybe if he said who the other ones were, who werethe Standard scouts that recommend Reza, Koch, Turam?  The second and third windows were very good and the fourth was hampered by injuries and not dissimilar to now. 

There is no reason to suggest that Thomas wasn't the only one left by the time KM left. 
    You can hear the others in Jimmy Stone his podcast. Maybe not all of them, but he does discuss them. And like you already stated, all of them were 'network scouts'. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    ThomasD said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Interesting read.. and a good insight that is for sure.. But we can all agree scouting and recruiting players has changed a lot over time. And no doubt TD played a role in some of good bits of business and some poor bits.. But fair play coming on here to give an opinion, which I think we should respect him for that.

I don't think our recruitment on paper has been overall bad, but maybe just mismanaged.. We have benefit previously from players coming to us, having made no impact at other clubs. George Dobson for example.

Recommending players I think is the easy part, but getting an understanding of the personality, speaking to people who knows the player, are they happy living in a big city, what could effect them personally.. Who's reasonability is that? That for me is a key!

Didn’t George Dobson save Wimbledon from relegation last season almost single handedly?
    Erm, no?
    Erm, yes actually, with all due respect. He joined them at the end of January 2021 when they'd lost nine of their previous eleven matches and were firmly in the relegation zone. His second appearance saw a shock win away at Wigan, and from then on things changed. 
    In their next ten games they lost only three, drew five and won two. They became harder to beat.
    Their last eight matches of the season saw four wins, three draws and just one defeat. They ended four points clear of the relegation places.
    My Wimbledon mate said he was key in the turn round in their form, and I'm quite sure that's why we signed him. 
    I remember hearing about this when we signed him, and was disappointed to see his early progress at Charlton was what we'd hoped for.
    It's odd that TD is still insisting George is League 2 level, when clearly he isn't. This doesn't exactly enhance Thomas's reputation in my opinion. I'd respect him more if he admitted he'd got that wrong. Every team needs a George Dobson. It doesn't matter if he doesn't score many goals.

I only saw Dobson one game for Wimbledon and two games for Charlton. Three times he was very bad on the ball. Maybe if I would scout him like a potential signing (watching +- 10 games) I would change my mind and admit I am wrong about him. 

I also think the times of having a '6' that wins the ball and is not so good on the ball and then having a 8 who runs and a 10 for creativity are long gone. Only in England they seem to stick more by it. Your midfield can be so much better when you take players who are more complete. If you have a '6' that is also better on the ball (like Cullen or Bielik are) you have such a advantage playing out of the back. 
    Comparatively to Gilbey and Morgan lately Dobson has been pretty smooth on the ball.
    The fact that I'm struggling to disagree with this based on the last few games shows what a dire situation our midfield is in  :D
  • Options
    ThomasD said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    cafc999 said:
    I shall ask again ...

You can hear the others in Jimmy Stone his podcast. Maybe not all of them, but he does discuss them. And like you already stated, all of them were 'network scouts'. 
    It's been a while since I listened to it but it was often inferred that you were "the" network scout? 
  • Options
    ThomasD said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Erm, no?

He *is* good on the ball. His pass completion stats are fine, and he isn't the sort of player who just wins the ball and then unloads it to the nearest player. He's ok receiving the ball in tight areas, and is adept at turning his markers and creating a bit of space for himself. He can play long and short passes. He's certainly one of only a handful of players who would be comfortable in the Championship imho (in my humble opinion).
    He wasn't great in his first few games at Charlton, but not disastrous. If you saw him perform badly at Wimbledon, you were just unlucky, as his performances were almost all excellent, according to my Wimbledon fan friend who's been watching European football (he's German, but lives in Wimbledon) for 45 years.

Now if you could communicate with us like this, that would be fine, as we're all interested in scouting (especially as historically scouting has been what's kept the club afloat), but please stop the fighting with Airman and Jimmy Stone on here because it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth and promotes division.
    We're happy to give you a fair hearing, but not happy for you to accuse people of lying. Well I'm not anyway.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

He did, you are right, but it didn't work for him at Sunderland.. Clearly likes in London.. My point was, some moves don't work out for players for what ever reason..

My question to Thomas is.. Who's reasonability is it, to get an understanding of the players personality and would he fit in to the club? Do they know the ethos of the club.. Did he take any of this in to consideration when recommending players..   
    Still waiting on this Thomas!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    ThomasD said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Erm, no?

The fact that I'm struggling to disagree with this based on the last few games shows what a dire situation our midfield is in  :D
    You don't seem to rate Dobson very highly, which is fine, but to most of us he's been a shining light this season. Way ahead in the POTY stakes for sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    ThomasD said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Erm, no?

You don't seem to rate Dobson very highly, which is fine, but to most of us he's been a shining light this season. Way ahead in the POTY stakes for sure.
    I totally get why you feel like that. He's about the only round peg in a round hole in the whole XI right now.

He loves a slide tackle and always tries his best, that's always fun to support.

I'm hard pushed to argue for anyone else of POTY tbh.
  • Options
    “Anyone who has ever read a piece about themselves in the media will know this. Your truth isn’t going to be the same as theirs.”

I can vouch for that 😎
  • Options
    @Dazzler21
    I'm just a fan that helps out with his dogs at The Valley, you'd be surprised to hear what I know. 
    Yet I've never met a player in the ground. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    BDL said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    cafc999 said:
    I shall ask again ...

Yeap, that was what I was back then, but I know what I know. I'm not going to disclose why or how but I'm clear that Driesen is lying. Nothing he says can be trusted. Nothing!
    Stop lying, I literally have the reports that I talked about in my first post from the French speaking network scout where he said not to keep Yann. I have never sent a report in French in my life to Roland or Katrien as all three of us ar native Dutch speaking.

• Options
    Meet you all on Google Translate...
    It says : 'player on his end, I wouldnt keep him'
  • Options
    I haven’t read every page but are we just accepting that this is really TD?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Funny that the only receipts Tommy is willing to show currently are the ones showing that Russell Slade didn't know how to pick a player. We all already knew that, I don't think anyone lamented the moving on of Slade. We didn't want him in the first place, he was miserable from the start, he played dour, terrible football and couldn't pick a player. Crofts played every game and Foley regularly played at holding midfield where he was one of the least inspirational players I've ever seen do anything and made Grant Basey look like Dennis Rommedahl for pace. I don't give a shit about the power struggle between Driesen and Slade, as far as I'm concerned neither should have been anywhere near the club. My concern is far more focused on the terrible job done in killing our upwards momentum when we had Powell, driving him out of the club and then dumping us down to this horrible division again with terrible poorly-planned signings when we'd finally built some momentum and some hope up again. Driesen was a part of that and those of you delving into this ridiculous back and forth where Tommy points out that a player he suggested went on to do more than work in Stratford Greggs and acting like it matters are insane. As has been noted before, Ackworth has named a few players over the years who it turns out would have been great signings. Do you want him on the scouting team next? He believes he can talk to ghosts and I'd still rather have him than the bloke who pops up gloating every time we lose, having pops at people we know have contributed more to Charlton in a day than all his little scouting reports put together over the years. It doesn't matter if we had Messi, Ronaldo and de Bruyne lined up and ready to go until Bowyer put the kibosh on it (they jump out of tackles), you know what he was part of and what that did to the club.
    I demand we re-sign Steve Portway
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    JaShea99 said:
    I haven’t read every page but are we just accepting that this is really TD?
    Always possible in the online world, but if not then it’s someone doing a really good impression of someone who’s always correct after the event
  • Options
    Dale Stephens is FEEBLE? ;)
  • Options
    Church def had a gross presence tbf
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Funny that the only receipts Tommy is willing to show currently are the ones showing that Russell Slade didn't know how to pick a player. We all already knew that, I don't think anyone lamented the moving on of Slade. We didn't want him in the first place, he was miserable from the start, he played dour, terrible football and couldn't pick a player. Crofts played every game and Foley regularly played at holding midfield where he was one of the least inspirational players I've ever seen do anything and made Grant Basey look like Dennis Rommedahl for pace. I don't give a shit about the power struggle between Driesen and Slade, as far as I'm concerned neither should have been anywhere near the club. My concern is far more focused on the terrible job done in killing our upwards momentum when we had Powell, driving him out of the club and then dumping us down to this horrible division again with terrible poorly-planned signings when we'd finally built some momentum and some hope up again. Driesen was a part of that and those of you delving into this ridiculous back and forth where Tommy points out that a player he suggested went on to do more than work in Stratford Greggs and acting like it matters are insane. As has been noted before, Ackworth has named a few players over the years who it turns out would have been great signings. Do you want him on the scouting team next? He believes he can talk to ghosts and I'd still rather have him than the bloke who pops up gloating every time we lose, having pops at people we know have contributed more to Charlton in a day than all his little scouting reports put together over the years. It doesn't matter if we had Messi, Ronaldo and de Bruyne lined up and ready to go until Bowyer put the kibosh on it (they jump out of tackles), you know what he was part of and what that did to the club.
    I demand we re-sign Steve Portway
    Poor bloke was blinded in one eye when a ball was crunched into his face during a match when he was playing for Gloucester City
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    I can’t quite make out the words “sponge foot” in the Simon church paragraph?

confused.com 
    Sacre blu! pied éponge 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Leuth said:
    This is only going to be resolved if our man posts all correspondence related to all potential signings while he was here tbh
    Under every employment contract I’ve ever signed that contrary to the terms of that contract and would be illegal. For most of them not deleting all that information on the end of the contract would also be dubious at best.