Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bow's Future

Comments

• Options
    I didn’t feel imo the crowd were overly supportive last night @hoof_it_up_to_benty

worst atmosphere for a couple of years, very much a poor L1 turnout in terms of bodies in ground (not announced crowd), generally anxious atmosphere with most of the ‘singing’ aimed at a former player on the opposition. 
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    No manager is going to win games with the players we have at the minute. If's and but's I know but if we had Williams, Cullen and Taylor fit we would be right up there. Give Bowyer contact, sign some players in January to keep us up then have a good clear out in the summer and rebuild.
    Spot on. A team of Phillips, Solly/Matthews, Lockyer, Pearce, Purrington, Cullen, Field, Gallagher, Williams, Leko, Taylor would be challenging for a top 6 spot.

With players on the bench like Pratley, Oztumer, Kayal, Hemed, Bonne to change a game if things weren't going well.

Currently we have zero creativity and are playing the likes of Doughty/Vennings (no disrespect to them).
  • Options
    First half yes, but second as the team stepped up so did the Covered End.

It was a big crowd compared to many last season but midweek and miserable weather.

• Options
    cfgs said:
    All football fans are fickle, social media and the accessibility to sports media seems to have given that fickleness a steroid boost. Patience never a popular word in the game is now extinct.
    All?  Surely this thread alone puts the lie to that.
  • Options
    The crowd didn’t turn on basically another shit performance .
    Maybe they should and we might get a Mark Aizlewood style two fingered fuck you to the fans .
    Being nice to em isn’t working !! 

I know I’m talking shit but there is 1% of me thinking the deathly almost relegated silence feel at the end of the game with a smattering of us clapping is all a bit lame .
    20k of fans abusing the players letting them know they’re not doing enough couldn’t actually lead to worse performances than we are getting now being nicey nicey !! 

I’m up to 5% now thinking give em a rocket ... yes I’m wibble 

but bowyer has more than earned 18 months from here on in to me 
  • Options
    100% support of him but he is not above critical opinion.
  • Options
    I hope when the takeover happens that LB is both retained and backed. Yes, we are going through a really bad patch at the moment with injuries and results but the change he has brought about over the past 20 months or so is remarkable given how small a budget he has had to work with. Critics should think long and hard about that. Yes, it's a results business and, as @ValleyGary says, he is not above criticism, but it would be a real shame if he weren't to be in charge for the start of the post RD era. 

Because of a recent house move, last night was the first game I have managed to get to for a couple of months. I must admit I thought the performance was pretty dire but having battled hard, to suffer that sucker punch in injury time must have really hurt. Somehow they are going to have to recover over the next couple of days and put in another performance on Friday night. A one-nil win through a penalty or blatant offside goal will do.
  • Options
    I think i have seen about three posts/tweets questioning Bowyer's tatics. Another fifteen or so questioning the players mentality. I have seen hundreds/thousands bemoaning people raising these concerns.

I sat down this morning with a cup of tea and contemplated what i was worried about at the start of the season, when the bad run come how the fan base would retaliate. Simply put there just seems to be a great fear the bad run will lead to us losing what we hold dear Bows, Gallen & Jacko.

Looking at it of the 11 last night, 7 would have been a viable selection with a fully fit squad for that fixture last night, but what is telling is how without the key players in the right positions for the squad, the roles those players have to play are not where they are most effective in a make do shape. This is what is breaking the players confidence and the performances reflect it.

Reliable Pratley was the greatest menace to our defence in the first half!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Totally agree he's not above criticism, but I've not heard any actual criticism of him, just people suggesting he should go. It is f***ing laughable 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Totally agree he's not above criticism, but I've not heard any actual criticism of him, just people suggesting he should go. It is f***ing laughable 
    Theres criticism of his 3 centre back tactics and his substitutions yesterday on the post-match thread.
  • Options
    Madness not to stick to him. let's get real. At the start of the season we would have considered staying up a successful season. That was without taking account of injuries. Full confidence he is the best man as the players start to come back from injury. 
  • Options
    I didn’t feel imo the crowd were overly supportive last night @hoof_it_up_to_benty

worst atmosphere for a couple of years, very much a poor L1 turnout in terms of bodies in ground (not announced crowd), generally anxious atmosphere with most of the ‘singing’ aimed at a former player on the opposition. 
    There was atmosphere in the second half - it's hard to really get behind the team when they offered nothing in the first 45. It's unrealistic to expect much better given the run we're on and the fans certainly haven't turned on the players.

Our football has been pitiful in recent weeks however you dress it up. Most of us understand the contributory factors but it's certainly not enjoyable to watch. 
  • Options
    I do worry a little that if new owners come in and invest in January he could find himself under pressure if results don't pick up quickly. 

Would hope that he is given a healthy budget to rebuild in the summer and have a proper go next season. He has more than earned that right. 

• Options
    Anybody calling for Bowyers head needs to have a word with themselves. We need to remember that he is still a bit of a novice at management. The bloke has a decimated squad and can’t name a settled line up. Whilst he isn’t immune to criticism, he is doing the best he can with the tools he has. He is going to get things wrong. Not like he is working for a decent boss either is it? 

Of course it is frustrating watching the team at the moment - it’s painful at times.  But that’s where we are - Bowyer and the team need the support of the fans. 

The job Bowyer has done is remarkable considering the hurdles he has to jump. 

He is 100% the right man for the job. Unfortunately you are going to get the moron element of a fan base - we do seem to have attracted a lot more over the last year or so. They would do well to remember some of our previous managers....Karl Robinson, Russell Slade, Karen Fraeye etc, etc. Powell was in a similar position in his last full season and we managed to finish 9th and would have made the play offs if there had been a couple more games. 

Also, Bowyer will become a better manager for the last 9 games, he will have learned a lot about himself. 

Lastly the takeover, I’ve read a lot of people saying it shouldn’t effect the management team or the players. There’s no doubt that it does - a lot of people are out of contract in the summer and want a bit of clarity over their future. That doesn’t help anybody. Let’s get the takeover done and give the manager what he needs - a decent contract, his best players signed up and a transfer kitty to get reinforcements in. Judge Bowyer at the end of next season - not now. 
    The main issue is how the new owners view things.
  • Options
    Theres criticism of his 3 centre back tactics and his substitutions yesterday on the post-match thread.
    And a certain moderator on the other site who is currently very critical of LB!!
  • Options
    IanJRO said:
    I do worry a little that if new owners come in and invest in January he could find himself under pressure if results don't pick up quickly. 

Would hope that he is given a healthy budget to rebuild in the summer and have a proper go next season. He has more than earned that right. 

Of course - that’s the way any manager is going to be judged. But at the moment Bowyer is well in credit. As you say, he was more than earned to right to be judged under proper ownership with with the correct tools to do his job. As things stand, he is like a Builder that hasn’t got enough bricks and cement to build a house. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nothing against the author of this thread as we echo the same thoughts 

But even discussing bows future highlights how fickle a section of our fan base is, we have the lowest budget in the league & have been missing  4-5 of our top players for a while , we have no continuity in our team selection so to even expect a point from the last few games would be asking a lot, although last night was our best chance of a win.

Cast your mind back to the first 8 games of the season when football was actually pretty good. 

judge the boss after 8 games of having a fully fit, match sharp squad to select from.

• Options
    There's two streams to criticism. There's the Twitter/Facebook insanity from arseholes who have grown accustomed to being able to say whatever they want without being punched in the face, and there's genuine criticism of tactics and approaches to games. You shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that fans have turned on Bowyer just because of the idiots on social media, but you also shouldn't disregard all valid criticism as being part of the social media shrieking. It can be difficult to separate them with the sheer volume of thoughts being sprayed out into the world.
    Personally I think Bowyer is great, but I do have problems with how things are going at the moment. The defence isn't good enough and hasn't been for a while now. They're all fit, and yet we can't trust the team to hold out even into the dying seconds of a game. It feels a bit like it did under Robinson, where we would often score but I would just be waiting for the other team to equalise. We have loads of injuries but I feel like this will still be the case even with all our players back. We saw it against Forest where we played some of the best football I've ever seen this club play, and still drew because we couldn't avoid making a silly mistake at the back. It happened against Bristol City where we should have been able to play out the 1-0 but we made a stupid mistake to go 1-1 and then let them have the game in injury time. The main difference hopefully in future will be that we'll score more than the other teams when we're balanced again. All our defenders are fit and not one of them is really looking good enough at the moment carrying out their basic duties, regardless of extra pressure brought on by our lack of fluency in attack or shielding from the midfield. Passes go astray, men are allowed to run and any high ball could result in a goal against us; that's a problem that having the whole team back won't fix. I really hope he has a serious look at how our defence sets up and what's going on with the players, because I'm not convinced that just bringing in a couple of new faces at the back will solve all our troubles.
    I do think that Bowyer is the man to solve it though, and players returning and new players coming in will definitely help
    Spot on.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Like I said - I totally agree he isn't above criticism, who is? Even I've got my critics, and there are some good points made on here and, after having a proper look, on the same Facebook group 're substitions ect. but tbh, the thread was more aimed at those questioning him being at the Club going forward.
  • Options
    Matt Southall liked this tweet “...a good hard look at the manager...”

• Options
    Hopefully just out of politeness 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Matt Southall liked this tweet “...a good hard look at the manager...”

I'd hope it was the for the last part about turning the club around rather than looking at the manager.

And we haven't lost 9 in a row either, even though it certainly feels like it!
  • Options
    Nothing against the author of this thread as we echo the same thoughts 

But even discussing bows future highlights how fickle a section of our fan base is, we have the lowest budget in the league & have been missing  4-5 of our top players for a while , we have no continuity in our team selection so to even expect a point from the last few games would be asking a lot, although last night was our best chance of a win.

Cast your mind back to the first 8 games of the season when football was actually pretty good. 

judge the boss after 8 games of having a fully fit, match sharp squad to select from.

Don't read too much into the title mate, and the point of the discussion (which you've contributed to), from my point of view is directed at the fickle fans question LB's position.

Speaking personally, IF this new crowed do come in, and even if they were worth £150b, there's no manager / management team on this planet I'd like in place, other that those there already.
  • Options

Hi AFKA.

Attendance: 
    13,488 (680 from Huddersfield).

• Options
    The reaction of a small number in the North Upper at the final whistle last night was embarrassing. 

Shouting at the players and LB to F off, screaming that they are useless etc

Get a grip, yes it was not the greatest performance, we all saw that, and it frustrating to lose like that at the death, but keep your shit together because its only by sticking together we will get through this