Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hull City | Fri 13 Dec | 7:45 KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Hull City
Friday 13th December 2019 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andy Davies (prev this season: Wigan)

Introduction
Form has unsurprisingly nose-dived in recent months, key players have been missing leaving the Management team with an almost impossible task to get results with barely any tools – Tuesday night saw Huddersfield earning a late winner and Social Media going crazy with fans losing patience. With a takeover still waiting to go through and no business that can be done until January, this is a time when everyone needs to work together!! - We won’t always have sunny days at Wembley so people must take the rough with the smooth, we will recover with Bowyer still at the helm, it may take a few more weeks but we will remain at this level!!

The Opposition
Name: Hull City (13th) | Manager: Grant McCann
Ground: KCOM Stadium

Grant McCann is going to be one opposing manager visiting the Valley this season looking to put things right after a crushing end to the 2018/19 season – As Manager of Doncaster Rovers his team weren’t expected to be part of the promotion chase and were written off in the Play-Offs, a spirited comeback at the Valley that Tuesday night almost completed the job and whilst Doncaster didn’t earn promotion to the Championship; Grant McCann (after also missing out with Peterborough) finally did.

It’s certainly been an indifferent season thus far for the Tigers!! – Our opponents have had short sets of bad results yet have also gone on mini-runs; mid-table would be a respective place for a team who have twice graced the Premier League since our own demise – In terms of player threat you need to look no further than Jarred Bowen; the young Striker will no doubt be in hot demand next month and with 14-goals already this season, will surely move on to bigger and better things – Kamil Grosicki certainly shouldn’t be overlooked, the Polish midfielder is the creative force for Hull, both players will surely need to be made less effective should we want to achieve anything from this game!!

Charlton Team News
Fans may be getting tired of the same old soundbites from Bowyer and can claim they’re excuses as much as they like but at the end of the day the injuries have hit us and have hit us hard!!...

Quite simply the midfield has been decimated, the likes of James Vennings called up too soon as quite simply there is no one else - We all know that Jonny Williams is likely to return to the bench this Friday night but like Lyle Taylor it’ll be some time before he’s ready to start - Fans were mystified as to why Vennings was called upon against Huddersfield, with yet another short turn around for this Friday night you’d expect the likes of Albie Morgan and Joe Ledley to come into contention, hopefully with the fresh legs to make the midfield battle a little less one sided for once!!

Phillips
Matthews – Lockyer – Pearce – Sarr – Purrington
Ledley – Gallagher
Morgan
Bonne – Leko

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer – Solly – Oshilaja – Williams – Doughty – Taylor – Pratley

Prediction
Two games… that was the worst run of defeats we’d previously gone on under Lee Bowyer, unfortunately our current run of games is now up to four matches – Quite simply; Bowyer has to adopt the Curbishley approach and try to at least get a draw regardless of how pretty the Football looks, something he was potentially looking to achieve last night – Got a couple more weeks I think before events on the pitch make these last two months look nothing more than a bad dream

Comments

• Options
    If we play 5 at the back again then a loss is guaranteed.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Think we should go with the dreaded 4231

Phillips
    Solly Lockyer Pearce Purrington
         Pratley  Gallagher
    Leko   Morgan   Doughty
              Bonne

With Williams and Taylor off the bench for the last 20 mins.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Think we should go with the dreaded 4231

Phillips
    Matthews Lockyer Pearce Purrington
         Pratley  Gallagher
    Leko   Morgan   Doughty
              Bonne

With Williams and Taylor off the bench for the last 20 mins.
    Fixed it for you...

I'll get Solly's face tattooed on my arse if he starts two games in quick succession when we've another RB available

Do like the team though
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 just please no 3 centre backs.
  • Options
    Think Taylor will start this.

Phillips
    Matthews Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    Pratley
    Gallagher Morgan Ledley
    Bonne Taylor

AMB, Solly, Pearce, Oshilaja, Williams, Doughty, Leko

Leko's pace off the bench will scare them, Jonny to get 15 mins
  • Options

Dillon

Solly Lockyer Pearce Purrington

Ledley Gallagher Pratley

Leko Bonne Doughty

Back to a flat back 4, Ledley and Pratley CM/ DM , Gallagher AM. Leko wide right coming in, Dougthy on the opposite flank.

4231 effectively, still struggling for players. Midfield really needs more energy but I don't want to chuck Morgan in the deep end as I don't think he does enough. Obviously if Taylor is up to it straight swap with Bonne, play them together when the rest of the squad is getting back together.

• Options
    Ain't got a clue. 
    That's it
  • Options
    Good preview FA , hard to see where the next wins going to come from, i'd go back to a 4-4-2 again. Think we might just scrap a draw 1 -1 , Taylor with the goal.
  • Options
    Another loss, just not reaching the performance levels of earlier in the season. Cannot see us keeping a clean sheet or scoring. 0-1. Depressing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At this moment, I'd happily take a draw to steady the ship; 1-1. COYR!
  • Options
    I fear another defeat. Hopefully JW will get some minutes. I think start with Taylor. If the concern is he may break down then this will happen regardless if he starts or comes on later. Hull are inconsistent. Let's hope the poor version turn up or it will be a hard night again. Keep the faith and all that. COYRs

• Options
    Old school 442 and grind something out.  Need to try something different occasionally, even if just for 15 minutes, to stir things up
    (last night when Taylor came on, given the weather conditions and how shakey 'Udders looked at times, I thought it was worth sticking Taylor/Bonne up top and trying a bit of route one for them to run onto.  Would have been ugly... but might have worked)
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    Old school 442 and grind something out.  Need to try something different occasionally, even if just for 15 minutes, to stir things up
    (last night when Taylor came on, given the weather conditions and how shakey 'Udders looked at times, I thought it was worth sticking Taylor/Bonne up top and trying a bit of route one for them to run onto.  Would have been ugly... but might have worked)
    Hfld looked pretty ropey at the back but sadly we put them under little pressure.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    I fear another defeat. Hopefully JW will get some minutes. I think start with Taylor. If the concern is he may break down then this will happen regardless if he starts or comes on later. Hull are inconsistent. Let's hope the poor version turn up or it will be a hard night again. Keep the faith and all that. COYRs
    Can't see that Taylor will start ..... Bow is keeping to what his Physio is telling him.
    We'll be lucky to see 30 second half minutes from Taylor.

• Options
    Think Taylor will start this.

Phillips
    Pratley
    Gallagher Morgan Ledley
    Bonne Taylor

AMB, Solly, Pearce, Oshilaja, Williams, Doughty, Leko

Leko's pace off the bench will scare them, Jonny to get 15 mins
    Can't see that Ledley will play wide midfield.
    The amount of ground he'll need to cover is asking too much of him too soon on his comeback trail.
    More likely bench.

He can only do 45 minutes - if we start him at all, it'll be as sitting DM and then Pratley will take over 2nd half.
    Actually Prats could do with a bit of a rest.

If it's 4 across the back, Bowyer would have  pondered over resting Pearce because it's a big ask to expect him to play 3 games in 6 days. But on the other hand, there's his battling qualities and leadership - and we need that. Or if Hull are quick on the counter, he might just go for the quicker Nabster and his distribution skills.

I believe we'll see the fresh Oshi and Morgan start. Doughty to keep his place as he's got a good engine and gets up and down the line, Gallagher central, Leko right side or free role perhaps, to provide running at their defence and the unpredictable.

Got to keep it tight.

Might even be some sort of 4-2-3-1 morphing to 4-5-1 with Bonne lone striker, to take us to HT or the hour.
    Then we'll open up. 4-diamond-2 .... On comes Taylor and Willo and we'll go for it.

Having said all that, I haven't got a clue. Bow picks 3-5-2 and here we go again ...... wibble. :smile:

• Options
    0-1

Start the suicide squad!
  • Options
    I think we’ll get dicked. 0-3.  If I think that then there is a probability that I’ll be completely wrong. So there is always hope!  We surely can’t be as bad as Tuesday. 
  • Options
    phillips

oshi
    pearce
    lockyer
    matthews

pratley
    ledley

morgan
    gallagher
    leko

bonne

half time - taylor on
    20 to go - williams on to win it

please no back 5
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We haven’t taken a hammering off anyone yet but I fear Hull will turn us over easily. 
  • Options
    We're shit again... it happens!
  • Options
    We need something solid in midfield to protect the defence, because otherwise Hull have it in them to score a few goals. They comfortably beat Fulham at Craven Cottage, they have Bowen who scores so many from midfield. We need to boost the midfield somehow. A bit of experience and know how. I get that a few people might oppose playing specific players, but we need to be more disciplined in order to get a result. Don’t give it away cheaply, have people who understand the tactical and defensive side of the game first and foremost before bringing on Taylor and Williams. Unfortunately, Taylor won’t be starting, just hope that he gets 30+ minutes and Williams gets around 20. Keep things tight and controlled, go at them whenever we can.

Phillips
    Oshilaja Pratley Ledley
    Gallagher
    Bonne Leko

Maynard-Brewer, Solly, Pearce, Morgan, Doughty, Williams, Taylor
  • Options
    Taylor’s got to start from the off.
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Unfortunately, it just won’t happen. QPR is the game he starts.
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Bowyer's been told by the physio that Taylor can't start ..... or a least not for his 3rd game in 6 days, and to limit his minutes. Expect last 30 mins.

Risk of breaking down and losing Taylor for another 8 games, Bowyer reckons he's been told.
    He's got to be eased back.
  • Options
    The pain continues 
    0-1 to Hull. 
  • Options
    New owners on the pitch before the game and a 5-0 win in front of the sky cameras.  
  • Options
    We get one wheel back on the track
    Pratley to start in a back 3 instead of Sarr, Taylor to start alongside Bonne ..

Phillips ..  Pearce, Pratley, Lockyer .. Matthews, Gallagher, Oshilaja, Ledley, Doughty .. Taylor, Bonne
    Hull can be good or terrible depending on who knows what. I reckon this weekend they will be right off form and we will get back in the groove even with a patched up team

CAFC 2 v Hull City 0

• Options
    Hull have Bowen on form & we have.........? Sadly I’m fearing another loss & poor performance.