Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sports Personality of the Year 2019

Who wins?

Ben Stokes my vote..

Comments

• Some speech that - jeez
  • edited December 2019
    I’d be well happy for Stokes to win and think he will - but also think Lewis Hamilton is grossly undervalued by the UK public. I think he has gone beyond Sports Personality now though (in the sense that winning the world title has become normal for him) and would rather he gets a knighthood - or expect a lifetime achievement when he retires.
  • Stokes. 

I am currently balling my eyes out though.  
  • Well Linekar has just given away the result.
  • bobmunro said:
    Doddie - what a man.

I would be amazed if Stokes doesn’t win SPOTY - he deserves it.
    2 likes for that. 
  • As to vote it costs 15p does anyone know if the money goes to a charity or just goes to the BBC? 
  • As to vote it costs 15p does anyone know if the money goes to a charity or just goes to the BBC? 
    You can vote on the BBC website with an account
  • Sponsored links:

• Dinah Asher Smith's coach John Blackie was my daughters coach at Blackheath and Bromley, Norman Park. She spent many hours there training.  
  • I've already voted by mobile but just wondered if they could of made it free or at least give the money to a sports charity or to doddies charity.
  • It's got to be Ben Stokes surely? He won't better this year in his career. Hamilton has been here before and will likely win more F1 championships. Sterling has more time, as does Asher-Smith and Joynson-Thompson. Alun Wyn-Jones has been a giant in his game but probably needed to make the RWC Cup final to win SPOTY.
  • The King and the Princess!
  • Pleased for Stokes. Great redemption story.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Pleased for Stokes. Great redemption story.
    Yeah glad he just mentioned in his speech too as shouldnt be forgotten
  • Fine speech from Stokesy. He's had some big knocks along the way, not just in cricket.
  • Made up for Ben 👍
  • What’s all this kicking off on Twitter about it being a fix as ‘Lineker announced it at the start of the show’?

only watched the last few mins so don’t know what this is about?
  • Sponsored links:

• Lineker announced winner of main award when Ben Stokes arrived on stage for team event - prior to voting even opening?

Still wanted him to win though.Not sure if faux pas or.....
  • What’s all this kicking off on Twitter about it being a fix as ‘Lineker announced it at the start of the show’?

yeah he accidentally said it but the vote hadn't even started by that point.

Cricket won it all really what with the team award and the moment of the year. 

yeah he accidentally said it but the vote hadn't even started by that point.

Cricket won it all really what with the team award and the moment of the year. 
    Cannot argue with that really ( I love cricket) but no one came close.

If England had turned up at the WC v South Africa different team winner possibly but not SPOTY imo
  • Used to love Spoty back in the 80s - was a proper night to sit down and watch.

Anyway - with the top 3 being announced lots of talk online now of whether this is the year Lewis Hamilton (one of our most successful and globally iconic sportsmen ever) will get a long overdue knighthood after 6 world titles (Farah got one for one). 

Have a feeling that is his ‘consolation prize’
  • edited December 2019
    BR3red said:
    Who wins?

Ben Stokes my vote..
    Greta Thunberg for me. 

It's a joke. 

Definitely deserved by Stokes
  • Used to love Spoty back in the 80s - was a proper night to sit down and watch.

Anyway - with the top 3 being announced lots of talk online now of whether this is the year Lewis Hamilton (one of our most successful and globally iconic sportsmen ever) will get a long overdue knighthood after 6 world titles (Farah got one for one). 

I would not be happy if he got a knighthood. Doesn't even want to live in the country. Tax dodger. Pretty sure this is why he is not as popular as you petrol heads think. Plus it's an uneven sport as the car being driven more often than not is key.

Lewis HamiltonMichael Schumacher

Titles

Grand Prix wins

Pole positions

Percentage race wins

29.7 (36.7 pre-2007)

Podiums

Lewis will wrap up next year, unless Ferrari do something out of the ordinary.

For Ben to win from little watched cricket verses Formula 1, love it 👍

Over to you Lewis 2020 - hope you nail it 👌
  • edited December 2019
    Not a great night for the presenters.

Lineker prematurely announcing Stokes as winner, Gabby Logan calling Khadijah Mellah the first "jihad" wearing jockey to compete in a race and Dennis Law making the top 3 presentation when seemingly totally pissed!

I would not be happy if he got a knighthood. Doesn't even want to live in the country. Tax dodger. Pretty sure this is why he is not as popular as you petrol heads think. Plus it's an uneven sport as the car being driven more often than not is key.
    Ferrari were quicker on straight, tactics not great..... wiping each other out probably doesn’t help 🤣
  • A old co worker and absolutely lovely girl - Jordan Dawes was tributed :)