Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports Personality of the Year 2019

Comments

• Options
    Not a great night for the presenters.

Lineker prematurely announcing Stokes as winner, Gabby Logan calling Khadijah Mellah the first "jihad" wearing jockey to compete in a race and Dennis Law making the top 3 presentation when seemingly totally pissed!

Dennis Law 🙈
  • Options
    Used to love Spoty back in the 80s - was a proper night to sit down and watch.

Anyway - with the top 3 being announced lots of talk online now of whether this is the year Lewis Hamilton (one of our most successful and globally iconic sportsmen ever) will get a long overdue knighthood after 6 world titles (Farah got one for one). 

Have a feeling that is his ‘consolation prize’
    I would not be happy if he got a knighthood. Doesn't even want to live in the country. Tax dodger. Pretty sure this is why he is not as popular as you petrol heads think. Plus it's an uneven sport as the car being driven more often than not is key.
    I don’t get the whole tax thing - he doesn’t live in the Uk like millions of other expats. He is on the road 45 weeks a year plus with his job - why would he? 

The vitriol going his way is massively out of kilter with all the other sports stars from the UK who live abroad.
  • Options
    Overall some great moments and deserved acknowledgement of various people.
    Does anyone know why Statto was there?
  • Options
    Used to love Spoty back in the 80s - was a proper night to sit down and watch.

Anyway - with the top 3 being announced lots of talk online now of whether this is the year Lewis Hamilton (one of our most successful and globally iconic sportsmen ever) will get a long overdue knighthood after 6 world titles (Farah got one for one). 

Have a feeling that is his ‘consolation prize’
    I would not be happy if he got a knighthood. Doesn't even want to live in the country. Tax dodger. Pretty sure this is why he is not as popular as you petrol heads think. Plus it's an uneven sport as the car being driven more often than not is key.
    I don’t get the whole tax thing - he doesn’t live in the Uk like millions of other expats. He is on the road 45 weeks a year plus with his job - why would he? 

The vitriol going his way is massively out of kilter with all the other sports stars from the UK who live abroad.
    I think it was more the way that it was 'done' virtually at the same time it was announced he signed his massive multi million pound contract from Mercedes he had a big press announcement that he was becoming a resident of Switzerland. Really pissed me off at that moment because it seemed like a stick your two fingers up at the uk taxpayer. The press made a big thing more because of the timing of the announcements. Ie I think if he had become a swiss resident a couple of months before his big payday less would have been made of it.
  • Options
    Bit of luck that will be Lineker's last year.
  • Options
    Dennis Law for presenter 2020 ?
  • Options
    Really wasn’t hard for her v Prince Andrew in fairness !!

Wow , she looked old tonight though ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why don't they show the best howle Rs from the past year any more? Used to be a good bit of fun. Suppose it would be politically incorrect to show someone's misfortune nowadays.
     And while I'm in moan mood, why all these songs? Want to watch sport on SPOTY show.
  • Options
    Doddie amazing man, Dina Asher Smith such a lovely, genuine character; I honestly think she was happier her coach won his awar than she would have been winning herself. And and great speach by Stokes - all puts some of the footballers to shame. Not sure how the autocue had 'winner' not 'contender' before voting opened; definitely one to look into. Great to see Lyle tweeting about our Jodan Dawes; he's such a genuine man. Princess Anne definitely more grounded than her younger brother, lol! Not sure if Dennis Law a wee bit confused or pished!

Why when other sportsmen or sportswomen do something good, it ‘puts some of the footballers to shame’?? 
  • Options
    Doddie amazing man, Dina Asher Smith such a lovely, genuine character; I honestly think she was happier her coach won his awar than she would have been winning herself. And and great speach by Stokes - all puts some of the footballers to shame. Not sure how the autocue had 'winner' not 'contender' before voting opened; definitely one to look into. Great to see Lyle tweeting about our Jodan Dawes; he's such a genuine man. Princess Anne definitely more grounded than her younger brother, lol! Not sure if Dennis Law a wee bit confused or pished!

Why when other sportsmen or sportswomen do something good, it ‘puts some of the footballers to shame’?? 
    Exactly. Especially when considering Stokes, no bloody angel is he!

Many footballers do great work too. And athletes are some of the biggest cheats around, that doesn't change just because Dina is a "lovely, genuine" character. 
  • Options

Exactly. Especially when considering Stokes, no bloody angel is he!

Many footballers do great work too. And athletes are some of the biggest cheats around, that doesn't change just because Dina is a "lovely, genuine" character. 
    Because "the press" have 100s of footballers to slag off.  If the harlequins 3rd choice full back or Britain's 5th best 100 meter runner did something bad its not a national, maybe not even local, news story because noone has ever bloody heard of them.  When a Bournemouth reserve wraps his car round a lamp post its national news.  Magnified by the fact the 1st 2 probably drive "normal" cars and he was in a Bentley?

I would consider I am a sports fan 1st and a football fan second.  I can name more current pro footballers than I can every other sport put together.  And I know far more sports men/women than the average jo/e. 
  • Options
    Put Hamilton in a Sauber & see how many titles he wins then. 
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    Why don't they show the best howle Rs from the past year any more? Used to be a good bit of fun. Suppose it would be politically incorrect to show someone's misfortune nowadays.
     And while I'm in moan mood, why all these songs? Want to watch sport on SPOTY show.
    Because they would overshadow the ones made by the presenters on the night?
  • Options
    What a ridiculous comment.

Along the lines of when people say Guardiola isn't that great because "he wouldn't win trophies if he was at somewhere like Southampton". The point being that if you're at a world class level in your field then you're going to have a top job, same as in any occupation.

You wouldn't expect the CEO's of Tesco or Walmart to take a job running a corner shop would you?
  • Options
    Put Messi up front for Bournemouth and see how many Ballon D’or he wins then.

Point being the best drivers, like the best footballers, earn the biggest stage to perform on.

Hamilton dicked everyone in the junior ranks and beat Alonso in his first season as a team mate. 

Britain doesn’t have many sportsmen at that kind of level as a global brand, icon, and talent.

Hamilton is one of them.
    All the personality of wet lettuce
  • Options
    Hamilton is, in my opinion possibly the greatest sports man/woman this country has produced. I am not a lover of any form of motor sport, bores me shitless, but what he has done and achieved and no doubt shall continue to do so year after is truly remarkable. I get it why he is not lauded as he should be as F1 is a rich mans sport and almost a niche sport but by gawd he is head and shoulders above his peers and should he he join Ferrari no doubt he will claim yet another world championship. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dina Asher Smith’s achievements comfortably rank alongside all the others.  As a personality she outshines all of them put together 
    Stokes’s individual brilliance on those 2 days can’t be denied. The profile aided enormously by one of them having saturation TV coverage on a summer weekend   That and the bullshit redemption story the gutter press could then run after their hatchet job on him previously. Genuinely humble speech was impressive and I don’t begrudge him his accolade. 
    Dina’s the real deal superstar
    Her joy at John Blackie’s award clear for all to see. Here’s to their global success in 2020 🥇🥇
  • Options
    Hamilton couldn't be arsed to attend so I'm glad he didn't win it anyway. 

Not his biggest fan and I think F1 is one of the worst sports around but there's no doubt he's a fantastic talent. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    What’s all this kicking off on Twitter about it being a fix as ‘Lineker announced it at the start of the show’?

only watched the last few mins so don’t know what this is about?
    yeah he accidentally said it but the vote hadn't even started by that point.

I voted over two weeks ago.

It's also amazing how quickly they got the second prize trophy over to Hamilton.
  • Options
    Looking at the previous results, Hamilton won in 2014 but has been runner up 4 times which shows how long he's been around for (2007, 2008, 2018, 2019)
  • Options
    In Denis Law's defense, the BBC had to find a famous person from Aberdeen with some sort of sporting heritage.  That must have been a list of almost one.
    Denis will be 80 in a few weeks and must have been hopped up on a gallon of red bull and a box of pro plus to have kept him awake through that interminable guff.
    Princess Anne is a class act though ain't she?  No phoney emoting when presenting to Doddie Weir and prompting Law when his reading let him down.  She's just shy of 70 and doesn't seem to have aged for 25 years.
    Sister of an ex of mine, half a lifetime ago, worked livery for a top equestrianist, met HRH and her horsey team regularly over a number of years and liked her enormously, fierce competitor, tremendous laugh and generous to boot.
  • Options
    Stig T., I read your sentence "Sister of an ex of mine..." as a run on from the previous one and thought you were still referring directly to Anne. There was me thinking, oh so Stig's been out with Prince Andrew as well then! :wink:
  • Options
    Its sports personality of the year, not who is the best sportsman of the year.... Look at the passion and joy Stokes brought to so much of the country on 2 separate occasions. Lewis Hamilton is personality vacuum 
  • Options
    One reason Stokes won it in my opinion is that the World Cup was the first opportunity in years for ordinary people to watch a game of cricket live from start to finish so such a dramatic match would have made a big impression on viewers.

Many of us cannot afford or justify paying for subscription television on top of the BBC licence fee so seeing cricket on TV live once more was a real novelty.
  • Options
    For anyone doubting Stokes - another masterclass today.