Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket .. England in South Africa & Sri Lanka 2019/2020

Comments

• Options
    I can see us going into future series looking to alternate Wood and Jofra given both are a bit fragile. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    redman said:
    Does anybody know what Broad's average was before he got the ball stuck in his visor compared to since. 
    I suspect this is his best score since? 
    Prior to nosegate 73 matches, 2,156 runs at 23.95, with one hundred and ten fifties 
    Since nosegate 65 matches, 1,054 runs at 12.85, with no hundreds and two fifties 
    So still got 2 50s since the incident, I guess they were against slower bowling
    57* v South Africa at Lord's in 2017 (Morkel, Philander, Rabada), 56 v Australia in Melbourne in 2017 (Hazlewood, Bird, Cummins). 
    At the Melbourne test  drunk as skunks my Aussie mate gave me 50 to 1 on Broad getting a half century and I had 20 Aussie dollars on it or it was 20-1 and I had 50 on it when Broad was in his teens .
    Fairplay he paid up that night .
    Felt bad and lost the money back to him in a drinking game that night , that’s how shit a drinker I am! 
  • Options
    great day for England .. let's hope that this tour and the test wins are not just flash in the pans .. SA do look weak in all facets of the game
  • Options
    Gotta remember it’s only South Africa and not New Zealand 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Nightwatchman? Nokia's in on merit
    Just catching up with this thread. Love calling him Nokia 
  • Options
    de Kock out! 174-9 
    a few more required to avoid the follow on but don’t think they will be asked to. 
  • Options
    Wood five-fer. Lunch. 183 total trail by 217. 
  • Options
    The question mark over this series isn't that we're playing SA, it's that we've won 4 tosses out of 4. That said I think the away side should always win the toss in all forms - a lot of groundsmen would have to sharpen their act up very quickly 
  • Options
    I can see us going into future series looking to alternate Wood and Jofra given both are a bit fragile. 
    I’m not sure why Jofra should be classed as fragile. Besides his current injury, I can’t recall him missing games in 2-3 years for Sussex.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    75-2.... Denly really needed a big score and didnt get one.
  • Options
    Damn, had Denly down as the day’s top scorer in the sweepstake. More in hope etc.
  • Options
    When Burns is available Denly will surely be the one to miss out.
  • Options
    For Sri Lanka Buttler & Denly need to go - Foakes & Hain in for me
  • Options
    Hain is both a Bear and an Aussie. No goddamn thank you 
  • Options
    So many Test careers ending on one day! Absolute carnage 
  • Options
    Denly does not deserve to be dropped from the touring party. He has been asked to do a job and has done it. I think Crawley will drop to no 3 and Denly will go as cover. Based on the number of chances bairstow and butler get, it will be very harsh on Denly if dropped from the squad
  • Options
    Said it before but Denly is the Kishishev of the England test team.
  • Options
    Denly seems to be mainly in the side or at least used by England to blunt attacks and to bat time. Buttler with Foakes and Bairstow waiting needed a big score today.
  • Options
    Why should Denly get dropped? Burns will not be fit until the summer, that will be the time to see who loses there place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m not sure why Jofra should be classed as fragile. Besides his current injury, I can’t recall him missing games in 2-3 years for Sussex.
    I bow to your country cricket knowledge!

Was mainly judging on the fact he was carrying niggly injuries through the World Cup and Ashes, and has missed a couple now. 

• Options
    Why should Denly get dropped? Burns will not be fit until the summer, that will be the time to see who loses there place.
    Denly will be in for Sri Lanka, useful extra spin options and Burns will still be out anyway. 
  • Options
    Not been following last two days closely, why did we not make them follow on? 
  • Options
    Lots of reasons, including that batting again gives our bowlers a bit of a rest and batting fourth is usually the trickiest time to bat. 
  • Options
    England batting again is taking time out of the game and creating score board pressure. They need a win, we need a draw
  • Options
    Plessis catch to get Root 😳
  • Options
    BR3red said:
    Plessis catch to get Root 😳
    Indeed that was some catch.
  • Options
    To give the bowlers a decent rest
  • Options
    Decent day all round. Plenty of runs ahead of them and 2 whole days to take 10 wickets against fragile batting lineup.

Reckon Root will get a couple tomorrow.

On the Denly issue. I haven't always been a fan (see the ashes thread) but I actually think him alone with the other players in the top 3 (Burns, Sibley and Crawley) have been excellent.

Sir Ali Cook has said facing new ball in tests in the last couple of years has been as tough as it's ever been. The job this top 3 have done to see off the new ball and blunt attacks cannon be underestimated. It's set a platform for 4,5,6,7 onwards to make runs against attacks in their 3rd and 4th spells. Its huge. It's best demonstrated by Root not in early at any point this winter. The earliest he has been in has been the 25th over. His return with the bat has improved considerably as a result. And Stokes and Pope have been afforded the freedom to play their natural game.

Denly has been a key part of that in batting time. Yes he needs a big score at some point but has done enough to warrant his place on the SL tour. Will be 3rd spinner too.

Denly was first called up for Sri Lanka in 2018, where his spin bowling would be a useful asset (why are we back there so soon?), being able to bowl will definitely help him keep his place in the side. Whether he can bat well enough against spin will be interesting though