Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Films Ever.

Comments

• Options
    kafka said:
    Midnight Express
    Midnight Cowboy
    Love Midnight Express not so much Midnight Cowboy.
  • Options
    Any Clint Eastwood film
    Silence of the lambs
    Dances with wolves
    Rambo series.
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Midnight Express

I definitely should have included that!
  • Options
    Top Gun
    Back To The Future
    Karate Kid 
    ET
    Original 3 Star Wars 
    Rocky (All of Them...😳)
    Blues Brothers
    Elf
    Superman
    Matrix

Even if I come across any of these on a tv channel as I’m channel hopping & they have already started il just happily watch from there on in till the end...

• Options
    edited December 2019
    The graduate
    Soldier Blue
    Zulu
    The boat that rocked (only film I seen twice all the way through)

Think all other films I seen I fallen to sleep through, I tend to find them boring and can’t relate / get into them, as I know they take multiple takes to get the perfect shot, just find them a con, alway have done and always will do, really wish I didn’t. 
    The boat that rocked? All about opinions of course, I thought it sucked. Reminded me of the later carry on films where they lost their way.
    Wouldn't be anywhere near my favourite films, it's inoffensive if pretty shallow, would probably watch it if I happened to see it on TV. 

However true story, it indirectly inspired one of my friends to choose a name his daughter as it introduced him to Elenore by The Turtles, he thought it was a sweet song and later chose the name Elenore for his second child. 
  • Options
    As it's this time of year
    The grinch
    And no not rowland
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    The graduate
    Soldier Blue
    Zulu
    The boat that rocked (only film I seen twice all the way through)

Think all other films I seen I fallen to sleep through, I tend to find them boring and can’t relate / get into them, as I know they take multiple takes to get the perfect shot, just find them a con, alway have done and always will do, really wish I didn’t. 
    The boat that rocked? All about opinions of course, I thought it sucked. Reminded me of the later carry on films where they lost their way.
    Wouldn't be anywhere near my favourite films, it's inoffensive if pretty shallow, would probably watch it if I happened to see it on TV. 

However true story, it indirectly inspired one of my friends to choose a name his daughter as it introduced him to Elenore by The Turtles, he thought it was a sweet song and later chose the name Elenore for his second child. 
    Funny how someone who can’t stand films because of the waste of time I feel it is going to the cinema as unfortunately my brain can’t forget everything I see is acted, daubed, edited and re shot if not right, I get so bored I immediately fall sleep, the selected film might not fit into some of the people who enjoy what I consider is a total waste of time classic film selection. I’ve only seen about 10 films in my life, and the point I was making is that it might be inoffensive and sucked but it was the only film I’ve seen twice without falling asleep. Could it be, that in my opinion the boat that rocked was good because it reminded me of my youth (I’m 67), I used to listen on my transistor, the music was great in the film. But as someone said it’s a matter of opinion, of which mine is simple, I’ve never wasted my time in watching Star Wars, Harry Potter or the vast majority of the films listed above, but I do know that people enjoy them and think my view on the matter is unusual ok weird. Hope you all enjoy the films you watch, but there are a very small minority which can’t have your enjoyment. In of the four films I’ve selected have personal memories to me, and all include music, thus making them my personal favourites which I thought I was reply to the opening poster about. 
  • Options
    Films I can watch again and again not necessarily the best

Casablanca

Field of dreams

Goodfellas

Zulu

Went the day well

In which we serve

The way ahead

The harder they come

Woodstock

The last waltz
  • Options
    BIG 
  • Options
    I remember leaving the Gaumont in Lewisham thinking White Christmas with Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra was the best film I’d ever seen.  Then I think it was Ivanhoe.  But that was all over half a century (plus) years ago.  Lately, as I’ve mentioned before Whiplash stands out for me and Lives of Others.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here is every film I've given 10/10 to on some nerdy rating site I post to. Hopefully contains a few that some of you may wish to check out

2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968) - needs no introduction or explanation

The Exterminating Angel (Bunuel, 1962) - the greatest of all disaster movies, in which the disaster is SOCIETY

The Black Tower (Smith, 1987) - some British guy records footage of a fucking building near his house for about 50p and somehow turns it into a 23-minute psych-horror masterpiece

Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (And Don't Come Back!) (Melendez, 1980) - we were all children once. and sometimes when we return to our childhood culture we are equally rewarded in adulthood

Celine And Julie Go Boating (Rivette, 1974) - four hours of joyous French surreal escapism that'll bend your mind seventy-four ways

That Obscure Object Of Desire (Bunuel, 1977) - probably my favourite film? Sentimental favourite at least. A perfect, poetic demonstration of how life plays with us however it wishes

The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoise (Bunuel, 1972) - ok I like Bunuel, yes yes. this is a film about being hungry and wanting ham

A Field In England (Wheatley, 2013) - the Civil War becomes the backdrop to a magickal evocation of England and its qualities

Winter Sleep (Ceylan, 2012) - four hours of a Turkish family having passive-aggressive arguments. if that doesn't sell you on it I don't know what will

Liquid Sky (Tsukerman, 1983) - basically a queerpunk sci-fi music video (but the best one ever) with some GREAT monologues that destroyed every career it touched

Arabian Nights (Gomes, 2015) - my favourite film of this decade, it's basically three films that work together as one 9-hour project. it's surreal storytelling, heartbreaking documentary, sometimes both - but it's always compelling and frequently hilarious. all of life in here

Penda's Fen (Clarke, 1974) - more of that sweet queerpunk revelation and catharsis, except this time it's a pastoral Play For Today exposition of...well, England and its qualities. featuring Edward Elgar!

Rear Window (Hitchcock, 1954) - because sometimes I like films you also like ;)

The Rules Of The Game (Renoir, 1939) - nobody's made a better film about class. somehow completely, passionately sympathetic to all of its characters and yet utterly, unremittingly brutal in its demonstration of where we all went wrong

Toni Erdmann (Ade, 2016) - I hear you wanted a German comedy! That will make you laugh! And cry! A lot! A bit sad I couldn't fit more female directors on this list but Ade has emerged as one of our age's masters

Watership Down (Rosen, 1978) - yeah that thing about returning to our childhood culture? Sometimes when you do that, it comes for your throat. Rosen one of the great accidental directors in cinema history

Stalker (Tarkovsky, 1979) - probably the best film I've seen? Grapples with the dilemmas and challenges of the technological age over four hours of widescreen visual poetry, before drawing the most startling of conclusions...

Hard To Be A God (German, 2013) - another Russian epic about the human condition. But this time, it's played for laughs. Mucky, disgusting, barbaric laughs. For three hours. Laughing at what we are
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Here is every film I've given 10/10 to on some nerdy rating site I post to. Hopefully contains a few that some of you may wish to check out

2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968) - needs no introduction or explanation

The Exterminating Angel (Bunuel, 1962) - the greatest of all disaster movies, in which the disaster is SOCIETY

The Black Tower (Smith, 1987) - some British guy records footage of a fucking building near his house for about 50p and somehow turns it into a 23-minute psych-horror masterpiece

Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (And Don't Come Back!) (Melendez, 1980) - we were all children once. and sometimes when we return to our childhood culture we are equally rewarded in adulthood

Celine And Julie Go Boating (Rivette, 1974) - four hours of joyous French surreal escapism that'll bend your mind seventy-four ways

That Obscure Object Of Desire (Bunuel, 1977) - probably my favourite film? Sentimental favourite at least. A perfect, poetic demonstration of how life plays with us however it wishes

The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoise (Bunuel, 1972) - ok I like Bunuel, yes yes. this is a film about being hungry and wanting ham

A Field In England (Wheatley, 2013) - the Civil War becomes the backdrop to a magickal evocation of England and its qualities

Winter Sleep (Ceylan, 2012) - four hours of a Turkish family having passive-aggressive arguments. if that doesn't sell you on it I don't know what will

Liquid Sky (Tsukerman, 1983) - basically a queerpunk sci-fi music video (but the best one ever) with some GREAT monologues that destroyed every career it touched

Arabian Nights (Gomes, 2015) - my favourite film of this decade, it's basically three films that work together as one 9-hour project. it's surreal storytelling, heartbreaking documentary, sometimes both - but it's always compelling and frequently hilarious. all of life in here

Penda's Fen (Clarke, 1974) - more of that sweet queerpunk revelation and catharsis, except this time it's a pastoral Play For Today exposition of...well, England and its qualities. featuring Edward Elgar!

Rear Window (Hitchcock, 1954) - because sometimes I like films you also like ;)

The Rules Of The Game (Renoir, 1939) - nobody's made a better film about class. somehow completely, passionately sympathetic to all of its characters and yet utterly, unremittingly brutal in its demonstration of where we all went wrong

Toni Erdmann (Ade, 2016) - I hear you wanted a German comedy! That will make you laugh! And cry! A lot! A bit sad I couldn't fit more female directors on this list but Ade has emerged as one of our age's masters

Watership Down (Rosen, 1978) - yeah that thing about returning to our childhood culture? Sometimes when you do that, it comes for your throat. Rosen one of the great accidental directors in cinema history

Stalker (Tarkovsky, 1979) - probably the best film I've seen? Grapples with the dilemmas and challenges of the technological age over four hours of widescreen visual poetry, before drawing the most startling of conclusions...

Hard To Be A God (German, 2013) - another Russian epic about the human condition. But this time, it's played for laughs. Mucky, disgusting, barbaric laughs. For three hours. Laughing at what we are

You really are a pretentious fucker aren’t you?  ;)
  • Options
    "four hours of OH SHUT UP LEUTH"
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Leuth is a passionate guy, but having seen none of his fav movies only the bio, I guess we're never going to be on the same page.
  • Options
    You've not seen Watership Down? We were all traumatised by that as kids (or traumatised our kids with it), surely?
  • Options
    Warriors. Everything fell into place for this to be a perfect film. The latter day 'extras' made interesting watching.

Comedy- is too hard. Would have to include: life of Brian/dumb & dumber/step brothers/blues brothers/blazing saddles/Eddie Murphys - Delirious  
  • Options
    To be fair @Leuth I just went and watched The Black Tower on YouTube.

Certainly very atmospheric and mesmerising.  Might make me notice towers like Blink from Doctor Who made me notice statues.

• Options
    Oh and my favourite is Jurassic Park. 

• Options
    Chizz said:
    There's a risk that a thread like this could become just a list of movies.  It would be much more interesting if you explained why you regard each of them worthy of repeat viewings. 
    Whose thread is this yours or mine?😺

Fair point.

A lot of films, for me are about the relationships of the central characters and perhaps a period in history.

Mississippi Burning- Hackman,Dafoe and a young Francis McDormand. Period in history, segregation in the Deep South and that the rednecks finally get their comeuppance!

Planes Trains and Automobiles- Classic comedy and the perfect foils for each other in Candy and Martin.

Alien- The emergence of Ridley Scott (who I worked with once, my 10 minutes of fame,not) and a brilliant Alien.

Zero Dark Thirty - Tense period of time, perhaps heightened by being in America at the time of 9/11 and a good performance Jessica Chastain and well directed by Kathryn Bigelow.

Zulu - Caine and Baker and probably the first film to have an impact on me as a kid.

French Connection - Hackman and Schneider.

Godfather - Rise of Coppola. Pacino, Brando and Caan and of course the period it’s set in.

Goodfellas - Similar to above but with De Nero, Pesci.

Raging Bull - Fabulous performance by De Nero about a boxing legend.

In The Heat of The Night - Again period of time/appalling treatment of blacks and Poitier and Steiger.

Terminator - Arnie and ‘I’ll be back’ nuff said.

Pulp Fiction - Great casting, Jackson, Travolta (not sure if this was Travolta’s first major movie since Grease? and a surprise but great choice.)Thurman and Willis(someone I don’t generally like as an actor).
    Wasn’t Blow Out after Grease? JT was excellent in that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is anyone allowed to like American  Beauty these days?

You have no idea what I’m talking about, I’m sure; but don’t worry….you will someday.
  • Options

Certainly very atmospheric and mesmerising.  Might make me notice towers like Blink from Doctor Who made me notice statues.

I'm glad! 

Charlton Aesthetic tells me Blink is "an amazing episode" so I might watch that in return :)
  • Options
    In no particular order -

- Blazing Saddles
    - Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again
    - Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
    - Open Range
    - True Grit (Original)
    - True Grit (Re-make)
    - Young Guns
    - The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
    - Love Actually 
    - Green Mile
    - Forrest Gump
    - Break Dance Electric Boogaloo 
    - Quadrophenia 

• Options
    Leuth said:

I'm glad! 

Charlton Aesthetic tells me Blink is "an amazing episode" so I might watch that in return :)
    Yeah it's brilliant, best episode by a mile and effectively completely standalone. 
  • Options
    Thought what that Black Tower reminds me of a bit - it's like a an episode of Inside No. 9.
  • Options
    This is broadly my top five, but it flexes

Marvellous - the funny little BBC film starring Toby Jones as Neil Baldwin, the sometime Stoke City kitman with learning difficulties and an upliftingly positive outlook

Intouchable - the French comedy about the rich paraplegic and his carer from the other end of society. Immensely enjoyable.

The Station Agent - recommended by somebody on here. A character driven piece in which absolutely nothing happens. Lovely.

Fandango - an 80s film with a young Kevin Costner. Loved it since I first caught it by accident late on BBC2. Took me ages to track down the dvd, and still occasionally rerun it.

Manchester by the Sea - a slow burning film that I found totally absorbing

Honourable mentions to Whiplash, The Party, I Am not a Witch, Locke. Really looking forward to seeing 1917 next month
  • Options
    I Am Not A Witch is one of my favourites from the last couple of years. Absolutely hilarious and haunting Brit/Zambian comedy about the clash of modern and ancient Africa...great choice!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    "four hours of OH SHUT UP LEUTH"
    OH SHUT UP LEUTH. 😸
  • Options
    Any Clint Eastwood film
    Silence of the lambs
    Dances with wolves
    Rambo series.
    Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Stallone film I can take seriously?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    This is broadly my top five, but it flexes

Marvellous - the funny little BBC film starring Toby Jones as Neil Baldwin, the sometime Stoke City kitman with learning difficulties and an upliftingly positive outlook

Intouchable - the French comedy about the rich paraplegic and his carer from the other end of society. Immensely enjoyable.

The Station Agent - recommended by somebody on here. A character driven piece in which absolutely nothing happens. Lovely.

Fandango - an 80s film with a young Kevin Costner. Loved it since I first caught it by accident late on BBC2. Took me ages to track down the dvd, and still occasionally rerun it.

Manchester by the Sea - a slow burning film that I found totally absorbing

Honourable mentions to Whiplash, The Party, I Am not a Witch, Locke. Really looking forward to seeing 1917 next month
    Marvellous is a great shout . That film is a hidden gem .