Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Films Ever.

1235»

Comments

• Options

There are so many of my favourite films already mentioned, so I will add some

that I haven’t seen listed.

Glengarry Glen Ross 

(Although Lemmon was brilliant in Some Like It Hot, I think this 

is his best performance, and he gives the rest of the cast an acting lesson)

The Apartment

(I do like Jack Lemmon)

Midnight Express

(John Hurt is amazing)

Jaws

(A great cast, and the scene where they discuss their scars, is

one of the most watchable in all the films I have seen)

Breaker Morant

(Edward Woodward is superb in this)

Braveheart

(If it’s on I will watch it)

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

(I think I might be able to quote the whole script)

Wayne’s World

(It’s just take your brain out funny)

Scum

(Kept me on the straight and narrow)

Terms of Endearment 

(A great cast but Shirley MacLaine steals the show)

Broadcast News

(Holly Hunter and Albert Brooks bounce off each other)

A Chorus of Disapproval 

(I could watch again and again)

The Revenant

(At last, Leo gets his Oscar)

There are lots more, and as lifers add their favourites, I am sure I will

be thinking how did I miss that one.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I will do the same as muppetman and only mention some of my favourites that I haven’t already seen listed:

Tampopo 
    Big Night
    Chef (for the music, not for the predictable story line)
    American Graffiti 
    Blues Brothers 2000 (again for the music, the storyline is utter cack)
  • Options
    A Clockwork Orange
    If....
    The Edukators
    Pulp Fiction
    A Scanner Darkly
    Run Lola Run 
  • Options
    If...that takes me back...did the music score in this as part of my Music 'O' level back in the day....
  • Options

I knew there would be more.😁

How could I forget these.

Better Off Dead

(Another take your brain out funny film)

The Sure Thing

(Better Off Dead on the road)

Little Miss Sunshine 

(Just for Alan Arkin, even though the rest of

the cast are excellent)

I am going to try and stop now, but there are more.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Here is every film I've given 10/10 to on some nerdy rating site I post to. Hopefully contains a few that some of you may wish to check out

2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968) - needs no introduction or explanation

The Exterminating Angel (Bunuel, 1962) - the greatest of all disaster movies, in which the disaster is SOCIETY

The Black Tower (Smith, 1987) - some British guy records footage of a fucking building near his house for about 50p and somehow turns it into a 23-minute psych-horror masterpiece

Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (And Don't Come Back!) (Melendez, 1980) - we were all children once. and sometimes when we return to our childhood culture we are equally rewarded in adulthood

Celine And Julie Go Boating (Rivette, 1974) - four hours of joyous French surreal escapism that'll bend your mind seventy-four ways

That Obscure Object Of Desire (Bunuel, 1977) - probably my favourite film? Sentimental favourite at least. A perfect, poetic demonstration of how life plays with us however it wishes

The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoise (Bunuel, 1972) - ok I like Bunuel, yes yes. this is a film about being hungry and wanting ham

A Field In England (Wheatley, 2013) - the Civil War becomes the backdrop to a magickal evocation of England and its qualities

Winter Sleep (Ceylan, 2012) - four hours of a Turkish family having passive-aggressive arguments. if that doesn't sell you on it I don't know what will

Liquid Sky (Tsukerman, 1983) - basically a queerpunk sci-fi music video (but the best one ever) with some GREAT monologues that destroyed every career it touched

Arabian Nights (Gomes, 2015) - my favourite film of this decade, it's basically three films that work together as one 9-hour project. it's surreal storytelling, heartbreaking documentary, sometimes both - but it's always compelling and frequently hilarious. all of life in here

Penda's Fen (Clarke, 1974) - more of that sweet queerpunk revelation and catharsis, except this time it's a pastoral Play For Today exposition of...well, England and its qualities. featuring Edward Elgar!

Rear Window (Hitchcock, 1954) - because sometimes I like films you also like ;)

The Rules Of The Game (Renoir, 1939) - nobody's made a better film about class. somehow completely, passionately sympathetic to all of its characters and yet utterly, unremittingly brutal in its demonstration of where we all went wrong

Toni Erdmann (Ade, 2016) - I hear you wanted a German comedy! That will make you laugh! And cry! A lot! A bit sad I couldn't fit more female directors on this list but Ade has emerged as one of our age's masters

Watership Down (Rosen, 1978) - yeah that thing about returning to our childhood culture? Sometimes when you do that, it comes for your throat. Rosen one of the great accidental directors in cinema history

Stalker (Tarkovsky, 1979) - probably the best film I've seen? Grapples with the dilemmas and challenges of the technological age over four hours of widescreen visual poetry, before drawing the most startling of conclusions...

Hard To Be A God (German, 2013) - another Russian epic about the human condition. But this time, it's played for laughs. Mucky, disgusting, barbaric laughs. For three hours. Laughing at what we are
    You’re not the only one who likes a bit of Buñuel.
  • Options
    Shawashank Redemption
    Fight Club
    The Usual Suspects
    American History X
    SNATCH
    Goodfellas
    Shining
    American Beauty

• Options
    Dead Man's Shoes
    Leon
  • Options
    Ice cold in Alex ---- always want a beer at the end of that film
  • Options
    Happy Gilmore 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Happy Gilmore 
    Son of a bitch ball! Why didn’t you go home?! That’s your home! Are you too good for your home?! Answer me!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Leon.

Great performance by Gary Oldman.and the other bloke, can never remember his name, along with little Lolita, Natalie Portman making her screen debut, I think?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Chesty Morgan - Deadly Weapons
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Two amazing foreign films that I don’t think are on this list yet:

Life is Beautiful - just brilliant from Roberto Benigni. Funny and delightful, yet heartbreaking.
    Old Boy - (The Korean version, not the watered down tripe with a Josh Brolin) disturbing, dark, ridiculous, shocking, funny, original. Awesome.
  • Options
    Life is Beautiful is in my top three.
  • Options

Corridor Cam | What's your favourite film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P145vYVNv6w
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    clive said:

Corridor Cam | What's your favourite film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P145vYVNv6w
    That was amusing.
    Particularly enjoyed the silliness between Matthews and Morgan. Also liked how Fraser was so suspicious and was convinced Pearce was on a wind up.

Looks like there are some good relationships there. :)
  • Options
    Given me a chance to review this excellent thread. Almost all my Top 10 are covered, great to see call outs for The Station Agent and Sleepy Hollow as well as the more obvious classics. But 2 missing from this list:

True Romance... the late, great James Gandolfini, Brad Pitt, Gary Oldman, Samuel L Jackson, Christian Slater, Saul Rubinek, Patricia Arquette, Michael Rapaport all excellent in Tarantino-penned dialogue which is pretty much solid quotable. But they're all blown out of the water by Dennis Hopper and Chris Walken's 'Sicilians' scene... a tour de force of character acting by both.

And Labyrinth... a fox riding a dog? Bowie? Talking worm? My first teenage crush (Jennifer Connelly, not the worm). 
  • Options
    Any Given Sunday for “that speech”
    Gladiator 
    LOTR 

An obscure one that I don’t know of anyone that has seen; A Time to Kill. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I'm going to throw in Waking Ned. Fabulous gentle comedy, suitable for all, and a very uplifting film. 
    Certainly in my top 5 most enjoyed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aliens
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Goodfellas
    The Harder They Come
    Field of Dreams
    Nil By Mouth
    Le Haine

• Options
    Back To The Future
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    Goodfellas
    The Harder They Come
    Field of Dreams
    Nil By Mouth
    Le Haine

Haven’t seen “The Harder They Come” UEA but there was a 1950s film which stays with me called “The Harder They Fall”.  It was a boxing movie about a fighter fed a succession of fixed fights leading him to believe he was better than he actually was.  His management brought in Jersey Joe Walcott (a boxer of some repute in real life) to bring him down to earth.  It was Humphrey Bogart’s final film and earned several Oscar nominations.
  • Options
    The only movie I’ve ever been to where the audience applauded at the end was Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.  I went straight out and bought the cd I seem to remember.