Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Relegation

Comments

• Options
    Not worried yet.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    I hope no gets too carried away by this win. That was a weekend Forest team and they still had more possesion and shots than us. I am very happy we got the 3 pts. But not confident that playing this way we can win often enough to stay up.

The team seem incapable of dominating the opposing side, as evidenced by most of a few wins being by 1 goal.
    We don't dominate sides because presently the team is not set up that way, especially away from home.
    Apart from set pieces, the plan is to strike on the counter ..... like we did at Preston, Stoke, and at Forest last night.

You can look at stats all day long; they showed Forest for all their 57% possession, had 17 attempts of some sort - but only 2 on target.

Otherwise their only other danger was Naby's sliced clearance that Phillips tipped onto the bar. 
    Forest didn't know anything about that!

Stats in possession include little short passes and touches that go nowhere .... that could include the keeper passing short to his CB, back to the keeper, out to RB, square to the same CB and back to the keeper ...... 5 passes and the ball is returned back in the box with the keeper; that's 5 passes though, so it's included in the possession statistics. All bollocks and meaningless.

The only stat that truly counts is goals scored, right?
    Forest got 0%  ....... and Charlton got 100% of those.

• Options
    Still a long way to go yet. Big games at home against Luton & Wigan, which we should do ok in as generally our home form is pretty good. However, on the day anyone can beat anyone else & I still think it will go down to the wire......maybe knowing not losing to Wigan will see us safe.

As for other teams getting dragged into it. QPR seem to pick up wins fairly regularly as do Reading so I reckon they both will be ok. Stoke will be safe also but I think Hull & Huddersfield will be with us as part of the bottom 6 trying to stay above the line.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Well I'm sure last week everyone was thinking that we would have added to the squad by now, not reduced it.

February is a BIG month. Lose at home to both Barnsley & Luton, as well as not picking up points away to Huddersfield & Stoke & you can say goodbye to playing Millwall again for a couple of years. 
    My one concern is that this season we've tended to be poor against the lower teams; the defeats at Luton and Wigan were poor performances too, when those are the sort of games we need to be raising our level for.
    Again comes back to the players we've had unavailable but has our record really been that poor against the teams around us?

Against those around us when we werent relying on Steve Avory's daycare service it was:

Stoke (W) | Barnsley (D) | Wigan (L) | Birmingham (L) | Derby (W)

With the kids (who arent going to have the experience of playing First Team Football let alone a relegation battle)

Derby (L) | Middlesbrough (L) | Huddersfield (L) | Luton (L)

Comes back to needing new players (and current players being available) by the 1st February

Apart from the Wigan and Luton games none of those have played us off the park either
    But then around the time we were losing to Luton, Boro and Huddersfield, we drew against Cardiff, Hull and QPR, all mid table teams, and all 3 performances were much better too

Indeed after August we've consistently struggled against the poorer teams, but played well against the better ones
    Just my opinion, but I believe we've played better against the ball playing teams.
    Maybe they allow us to play a bit more?

It's the physical, direct teams that we've generally struggled against.

This and it's always been the same with Charlton.
    Stoke, big, tall, physical and direct. we don't get a look in.
    Forest, small, not physical, not direct, didn't really trouble us.
    Was ever thus.
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    I still think Wigan will get out of trouble. 

We need to drag more teams into trouble who might not be able to cope with the pressure.  Hull are the ones who could really drop now.  
    They’ve won 3 in 20. I’ll be shocked if they win 6 or more of their last 14.
  • Options
    still a possibility, BUT, a fading into the distance one 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Anyway  , my relegation moodswings are in full flow.
    Since last night I’ve been convinced we’re safe
    then it’s we’ll lose to Blackburn , Luton will then be a massive fixture before our trip to the massives and Huddersfield and these teams won’t be changing half a team before they play us and before long we’re right back amongst it .
    Stating the most obvious thing of all time but going in to all the games now I can genuinely see all 3 results possible every game , we’re not that good and we’re not that bad .... 
    which will definitely be enough for us to be safe 

87%   13th-21st ..........................13%   Relegation

I’m not having we beat forest because they made changes. So did we! No Williams, pratley or green plus sarr coming in and purrington making way for Dougherty. It’s a squad game now, they rotated theirs and we rotated ours. We won fair and square 
    We made changes cos we were shit at Stoke , they made changes because they had a couple of injuries and rested players for their next game , that’s the difference in the reason for changes 
    Williams, pratley and green were dropped for being shite? 

Get over yourself, we won! Enjoy! The players chased, battled and deservedly conquered. Why can’t you give them credit where credit is due? We did not win because they rested players, can you prove that? We won because we created the only moment of quality in the game and beat what was put before us.
    I give the Charlton players all the credit in the world, a thoroughly deserved win.

But there is no doubt if you saw Forest's first team beat Leeds a few days earlier, their performance that day was like a top of the table team. Against us they played like a bottom of the table team.

Forest made 6 changes and took the game easy thinking they could still win it.
    Even their manager has said so.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Real shame we didn’t hang on for three points against Hull. But I do think they could be in bother. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    E_cafc said:

We need to drag more teams into trouble who might not be able to cope with the pressure.  Hull are the ones who could really drop now.  
    Charlton have won three in twenty. I really wish people would stop minimising the seriousness of our situation. Great win last evening but we’re still bang in trouble.
    Both teams are as crap as each other so would you rather be the team six points clear of the drop or the team that’s rooted firmly in the bottom three?

Wigan are the team bang in trouble, not us. It’s on them to find a way out because they need to turn their form around fast.
  • Options
    Hull have lost their 2 best players and it seems their collective heart and belief .. McCann will have his work cut out to keep them out of the releg-frame .. our game there in a month will be interesting 
  • Options
    Still reckon we get top half
  • Options
    E_cafc said:

Charlton have won three in twenty. I really wish people would stop minimising the seriousness of our situation. Great win last evening but we’re still bang in trouble.
    Both teams are as crap as each other so would you rather be the team six points clear of the drop or the team that’s rooted firmly in the bottom three?

Wigan are the team bang in trouble, not us. It’s on them to find a way out because they need to turn their form around fast.
    That’s very reassuring 
  • Options
    E_cafc said:

We are looking nervously over our shoulder, not bang in trouble. 6 points clear, better goal difference and only 14 games left. 
    Precisely 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    It’s what I have bet on, so I hope so  :)
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    E_cafc said:

That’s very reassuring 
    Only going by the stats you provided. If both teams carry on the way they’ve been going, we will stay up with 2-3 games to spare. I know that doesn’t happen  that way and struggling teams tend to pick up form at the end but can you really see a team that just won 3 of 20 going on to win 6 of 14?

We only need a point a game to get to the magic 50 now with some very winnable home games coming up.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    It’s what I have bet on, so I hope so  :)
    Probably heart more than head... So do I, 3565.30 return to boot too 😄
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Win on Saturday and I think we may have minimised the risk. A big game for sure.
  • Options
    Had we not got wins against Barnsley and Forest we would be in massive trouble but a coupe of wins make a lot of difference. A win on Saturday and we could climb above a couple more teams.
  • Options
    E_cafc said:

That’s very reassuring 
    It is though, because if both teams stay crap then it's them that go down not us. If our form picks up and they stay crap, they go down not us. If both of us improve, they have to improve MORE than we do, or they go down not us.

We are NOT "bang in trouble" - yet. It's certainly not beyond possibility we will be but at current just one point a game from us would need them to pull nearly promotion winning form before we really need to panic.
  • Options
    E_cafc said:

We are looking nervously over our shoulder, not bang in trouble. 6 points clear, better goal difference and only 14 games left. 
    Why are we looking nervously over our shoulders?

Should be looking at the fact that a win against Blackburn could put us ahead of QPR and Middlesbrough and so put another two teams between us and the dreaded zone

Isnt just about being concerned with the teams behind us now

Those around us should be concerned about Charlton because apart from Stoke we're getting players back and suddenly showing the form from the start of the season again
  • Options
    Real shame we didn’t hang on for three points against Hull. But I do think they could be in bother. 
    Yeah, the difference a last kick of the game goal can make ..... if we'd won 2-1 that night, right now, it would have been Charlton 38 points, Hull 39.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Yeah, the difference a last kick of the game goal can make ..... if we'd won 2-1 that night, right now, it would have been Charlton 38 points, Hull 39.

Or concede against Huddersfield 
  • Options
    aint happening...👍,been saying it all season,still stand by that too...100%

(Hope it don’t come bak & kick me in the bollox tho...🙄😂🤣)
  • Options
    Luton 1 - Sheff Wednesday 0 after 62 minutes
  • Options
    Luton 1 - Sheff Wednesday 0 after 62 minutes
    No disrespect to Luton but think they're the least likely to survive.