Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Relegation

Comments

• Options
    May be an even bigger blow for Barnsley - Has played 21-games this season so not a fringe player

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/22/barnsley-suspend-bambo-diaby-after-football-association-start-anti-doping-investigation
  • Options
    I fancy stoke to finish above us and i'm pretty confident we'll stay up providing no one leaves or anymore injuries 
    Sky Sports showed a stat regarding Stoke's form (e.g. Goals Conceded | Goals Scored | Number of Passes all that bullshit and what rank they were in the entire League)

Tried to take a Screenshot for on here but under Michael O'Neill they were in the top 5 / 10 for pretty much everything listed

Very astute appointment - Just look at how it worked out for Northern Ireland under him, they'll end up comfortably in mid-table
    Thank you!

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    I fancy stoke to finish above us and i'm pretty confident we'll stay up providing no one leaves or anymore injuries 
    Sky Sports showed a stat regarding Stoke's form (e.g. Goals Conceded | Goals Scored | Number of Passes all that bullshit and what rank they were in the entire League)

Tried to take a Screenshot for on here but under Michael O'Neill they were in the top 5 / 10 for pretty much everything listed

Very astute appointment - Just look at how it worked out for Northern Ireland under him, they'll end up comfortably in mid-table
    Thank you!

Yeah I wasnt overly sure at first - For me neither Coleman or Southgate are club Managers, if a Premier League team were to take the latter away from the England job then he'd flop hard - Thought O'Neill might be in the same boat, then again he did well with Shamrock Rovers (whoopie, but took them into the Europa League Group Stages) prior to Northern Ireland
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Thank you!

Now, now Bob, self praise is no praise indeed 😉.
  • Options
    Just a general observation but notice that Barnsley are set to sign their third Austrian player this month and second from Wolfsberger (Struber's old team that he guided to the Europa League) - Part of me questions if thats the right approach, after all we saw when we got relegated from the Championship last time we had plenty of talent in Fanni | Motta | Teixeira... Surely it would be better to rely on players who know English Football and dont have to worry about adapting too?

Reckon if Barnsley do even up failing to avoid the drop then that'll be their undoing
    A case of the manager bringing in players he knows and who he thinks have what it takes to get him out of it. If he was German, they would probably be German players.
  • Options
    Just a general observation but notice that Barnsley are set to sign their third Austrian player this month and second from Wolfsberger (Struber's old team that he guided to the Europa League) - Part of me questions if thats the right approach, after all we saw when we got relegated from the Championship last time we had plenty of talent in Fanni | Motta | Teixeira... Surely it would be better to rely on players who know English Football and dont have to worry about adapting too?

Reckon if Barnsley do even up failing to avoid the drop then that'll be their undoing
    A case of the manager bringing in players he knows and who he thinks have what it takes to get him out of it. If he was German, they would probably be German players.
    Oh god yeah - I'm not slating the fact they're Austrian I just question if its the right move to bring in any players (at this time of the year) not used to the level of Football, especially outside the top flight

We as fans are more than used to getting players who couldnt hack the English game and look at where we ended up
  • Options

Yes and no, Forever.

The Barnsley manager is Austrian, has managed these players before and is signing them because he knows their character, as well as their abilities. Plus if there are 3 Austrians, they've got each other to relate to in their own lingo socially if they are away from families.

Germanic peoples have a similar temperament to that of the British, like Scandinavians, Dutch etc - most of them tend to do well enough in the English leagues. Most of them have some grasp of spoken English also. The only issue I can see is how well they'll be accepted by the Barnsley squad .... but English football is pretty cosmopolitan these days, so British players are well used to it.

I reckon there's a good chance they'll soon adapt just fine.

• Options
    It's all sounding a bit Brexity in here.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    clb74 said:
    Beat Barnsley its game over
    Not quite. But it will put decent distance between us and them.

A team almost every season will be safe with 50 points.
    That's a target of say, 5 wins and 5 draws.

It should be well within our reach, given a fair wind with injuries during the rest of the season.

I think you'll need 45 points this year, could well be a new record low to stay up this season  
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    clb74 said:

It should be well within our reach, given a fair wind with injuries during the rest of the season.

I think you'll need 45 points this year, could well be a new record low to stay up this season  
    I would agree - 45 should do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    shine166 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    clb74 said:

Aim higher though
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    We SHOULD be fine, yes. As long as there are no unexpected setbacks to returnees, or God forbid a currently fit player gets injured. 

Six points at this point is not too bad a buffer but if one of the current bottom three suddenly start stringing a good run of form together then we will be hanging on by May unless we start picking up wins from somewhere l.
    Barnsley, Wigan and Luton all have to come to The Valley.

If we can somehow win those whilst continuing to pick up the odd bonus point like last night we will take a giant stride towards safety.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    bobmunro said:
    shine166 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    clb74 said:

Aim higher though
    Nah aim lower 
  • Options
    Saturday 1st February is an interesting day:

Charlton Athletic v Barnsley
    Fulham v Huddersfield Town

Leeds United v Wigan Athletic
    West Bromwich Albion v Luton Town

Derby v Stoke (the night before)

Providing the form book doesn't get ripped up, our rivals could well be in for a torrid day.
    We have to do our part, of course.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Providing the form book doesn't get ripped up, our rivals could well be in for a torrid day.

hadn't realised that ... fascinating day
  • Options
    One thing to bear in mind though, is that we've played our Fulham game early - other 'relegation' teams will play their's within the next week.

Saturday 25th:
    Stoke v Swansea

Tuesday 28th:
    Hull v Huddersfield
    Luton v Derby
    Wigan v Sheff Weds

Barnsley not playing (FA Cup game away at Pompey).

Best hope that results games go our way!

• Options
    Hull | Derby | Sheff Weds also playing in the FA Cup this weekend

Means they'll have less time to prepare for those midweek fixtures that you mention
  • Options
    Barnsley is a massive game in regards to the potential relegation battle would be nice to nick Mowatt off them beforehand.
  • Options
    Minimum 45 to stay up - just need a few wins.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

The way Leeds and WBA are playing at the moment, nothing is guaranteed! Indeed unless Fulham get Mitrovic and Knockaert back, they might struggle against Huddersfield too...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dannoo_86 said:
    Barnsley is a massive game in regards to the potential relegation battle would be nice to nick Mowatt off them beforehand.
    Or for him to be snapped up by another side on January 31st
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Could be a really good day if we win & the others lose. Hate to see it on here if the opposite happens & we are then really in the mire.....
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    One thing to bear in mind though, is that we've played our Fulham game early - other 'relegation' teams will play their's within the next week.

Saturday 25th:
    Stoke v Swansea

Tuesday 28th:
    Hull v Huddersfield
    Luton v Derby
    Wigan v Sheff Weds

Barnsley not playing (FA Cup game away at Pompey).

Best hope that results games go our way!

Barnsley already played their extra game too: on Tuesday and got spanked 3-0 at home by Preston.
  • Options
    I’m fairly confident we’ll be okay but the problem is that all the hard work to get those points of West Brom and Fulham is undone if we lose at home next week. The three home games next month define our season. Seven points and we’re pretty much safe. 
  • Options
    Until we’re either 9 points above relegation or over the points threshold I worry. 

We’ve all seen teams suddenly find form and dance out of the relegation positions- like Watford has this year.

No improvement in the squad or more injuries could be fatal this season.

I remain guardedly hopeful the light at the end of the tunnel is near. 🚇

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Could be a really good day if we win & the others lose. Hate to see it on here if the opposite happens & we are then really in the mire.....
    Big game, bumper crowd, we always do well in those, what could go wrong!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Oggy Red said:

Big game, bumper crowd, we always do well in those, what could go wrong!
    Nothing, because we will win  :)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    thenewbie said:
    We SHOULD be fine, yes. As long as there are no unexpected setbacks to returnees, or God forbid a currently fit player gets injured. 

Six points at this point is not too bad a buffer but if one of the current bottom three suddenly start stringing a good run of form together then we will be hanging on by May unless we start picking up wins from somewhere l.
    Barnsley, Wigan and Luton all have to come to The Valley.

If we can somehow win those whilst continuing to pick up the odd bonus point like last night we will take a giant stride towards safety.
    1 point return from these in the 3 games so far.  That needs to change.
  • Options
    Barnsley and Luton are gone.

Wigan have won 3 of their last 20 games.

I think at most we can expect them to win five of their last 14 games and maybe five draws & four losses, if they’re lucky. That’ll put them on 50 points so 50 is still the magic number for me.

Can we find 14 points from 14 games? Home games against Luton, Wigan, Middlesbrough, QPR and Reading as well as away games against Hull and Huddersfield will be key.