Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Relegation

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I think we'll probably end up above Luton & Wigan, but Barnsley are in far better form than us.
    So we do need at least 3/4 players who will strengthen our first team.

My disagreement with others is over realistic time scales.
    They have expected we should have signed players within a few days of ESI buying the club, as if they are playing on Play station.

Whilst I still think the majority of signings end up on deadline day, I do feel like many that we should now be upping the anti and try and get in a couple of players for the Fulham game.
  • Options
    I think we'll probably end up above Luton & Wigan, but Barnsley are in far better form than us.

My disagreement with others is over  realistic time scales.
    They have expected we should have signed players within a few days of buying the club, as if they are playing on Play station.

Whilst I still think the majority of signings end up on deadline day, I do feel like many that we should now be upping the anti and try and get in a couple of players for the Fulham game.
    Wheres that
    Its happening gif
  • Options

They have expected we should have signed players within a few days of buying the club, as if they are playing on Play station.

Your changing your tune
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Your changing your tune
    Any sensible person should review the situation and reassess when necessary.
    In the last few days the situation has worsened.
    We've lost Gallagher and Cullen & JFC have had injury set backs.
    As of this morning we were told JFC & Cullen were fit to play.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Your changing your tune
    Of course we were
  • Options

My disagreement with others is over realistic time scales.
    They have expected we should have signed players within a few days of ESI buying the club, as if they are playing on Play station.

At the moment, a neutral would probably tip us to go down in 3rd bottom, an awful lot depends on the next 2 weeks.

If the club knew that Kayal would be going back to Brighton, surely an early loan replacement should have been lined up? It seems crazy at the moment that we have ONE loan player currently fit, and that's the new one Green.
  • Options
    It's far more difficult in January.
    If a club sells/loans a player on Monday, they only have 10 days to find a replacement.
    This is why so many deals get done on the final day, when all the agreements have been made for a "swap shop".
  • Options
    It’s all very well to say that when players are back and we have a couple of signings, things will turn round. 

However, most of the squad will be entrenched in defeat and probably by now not responding to LB’s motivational talks.

Hard to turn this form around.
  • Options
    I dont understand why getting Bowyers contract is taking so long. MS and LB need to get in a room with their agent/ lawyer or whoever's and get it thrashed out. Surely in a day it can get done.
     We can send a satellite to Mars and take pictures to send back to earth for goodness sake but a football contract ............!!!!!!!!!
       The team fixture list is shrinking , and so is the squad still. MS needs to get ESI to to sort out the cash to get Lee's  contract done yesterday. They have had long enough. Yes they have!!!
      We need these transfer targets to materialise now, the more games we keep giving away the less attractive the club becomes to potential signings aswell as the Bowyer contract situation still looming 
     For goodness sake ESI get it done, it feels like dealing with inept politicians at the moment.
    Talk, talk, talk.
  • Options
    The Chairman makes a lot of noise but it seems the only difference between the Belgian & ESI is that Charlton Athletic no longer own the Valley or Sparrows Lane. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like how people are being told to manage expectations as deals are all done in the last day... even Bowyer was talking about multiple players arriving in the 1st week of January 
  • Options
    Too many people think our players coming back are going to sort things out immediately.

I think it will take them a few games to regain fitness, and I am certain that it is not automatic that it will be to a 3-points standard.  Patience will be required.
    On the other hand, aren't too many people also thinking signing 3/4/5 new players going to sort things out immediately? 

Yep, that as well.

Players coming into a team that is not playing well can struggle and not be able to show their true abilities.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

Your changing your tune
    Of course we were

?
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    Barnsley have been playing some decent football and were unlucky to lose today according to SSN. 

I think Stoke will have enough to stay up. Huddersfield away late Feb will be huge as well.
    Last 5 games Barnsley aren’t doing much better than us. But there win came against Huddersfield. 

Charlton, 4 points, scored 7, conceded 9
    Huddersfield, 4 points, scored 5, conceded 9
    Barnsley, 5 points, scored 4, conceded 5
    Stoke, 7 points, scored 9, conceded 7
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I don't know why, but I just think we'll be laughing about all this in May. 
    Admittedly it might be that manic, demented crying-laugh that characters in TV dramas do when their whole lives have fallen apart, but one way or another we'll be laughing. 
  • Options
    February will be pivotal.

An excellent return of points from the Barnsley, Stoke and Huddersfield games and it could give us sufficent breathing space to avoid relegation.
  • Options
    If a club sells/loans a player on Monday, they only have 10 days to find a replacement.
    This is why so many deals get done on the final day, when all the agreements have been made for a "swap shop".
    Huddersfield have so far signed Richard Stearman and Harry Toffolo permanently, and Emile Smith Rowe and Andy King on loan, so deals are being done elsewhere
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Back in October when we were flying high I remember a lifer saying in a post match thread that he was thankful for the win and our high points total 'because every point will be vital in our battle against relegation'. To my shame I gave the post a lol.
    Apologies guvnor, and hats off.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Back in October when we were flying high I remember a lifer saying in a post match thread that he was thankful for the win and our high points total 'because every point will be vital in our battle against relegation'. To my shame I gave the post a lol.

Sounds very much like Ooaahh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

The expected goals stats and table around that time showed us massively overachieving in terms of results, when compared to what we should have got based on shots and shots conceded. It does seem that our early results were a bit of a blip...
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

No problem, thank you 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I don't think relegation is a certainty even if we don't bring any in. If we are lucky with injuries we could survive. I always imagined you try to make the possibility as small as you possibly can, but I am probably a Playstation sort of fantasist thinking we had to make at least a couple of quick signings and signing the manager up as an early January priority. Airman has said an unfortunate truth. Players are worth what people pay for them and players who could have helped us have gone to other clubs.

Say we lose to Fulham on Wednesday, that will be 1 point out of 12 when we could have done something about it in January. In December and November there wasn't much we could do. And Bowyer does try desperate things, look at Ledley. It is called trying to do something.

If we win on Wednesday we have an 8 point gap. Ok we have played an extra game, but that is massive. If we had won yesterday against a poor side, we would have an 8 point gap without the extra game. if we lose on Wednesday we have played a game more and you have to think the gap could be 2. You have to assume that Barnsley could find some form. they are certainly not playing that badly at the moment. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    What worries me is these 6 pointers that are coming up - Barnsley and Luton at home, Stoke and Hudders away. All coming up in February. Win all these, that takes 3 points away from all of these other sides and puts us 3 points further away from them. It could save our season. However, when do we ever turn up when it comes to a 6 pointer??
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

The expected goals stats and table around that time showed us massively overachieving in terms of results, when compared to what we should have got based on shots and shots conceded. It does seem that our early results were a bit of a blip...
    Back then I don't think we were massively over-achieving. Better results than anybody was at first expecting, true ..... but the team were earning these results (often against fancied teams) on merit.

We were doing well, playing as a team unit, plenty of belief ...... but back then, we were able to put out a much stronger side than we've been able to do since.

I don't know about 'expected' goal stats - the only stats that matter are points on the board and position in the table.
    And the table earlier in the season told us we were doing things right.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:

Back then I don't think we were massively over-achieving. Better results than anybody was at first expecting, true ..... but the team were earning these results (often against fancied teams) on merit.

We were doing well, playing as a team unit, plenty of belief ...... but back then, we were able to put out a much stronger side than we've been able to do since.

I don't know about 'expected' goal stats - the only stats that matter are points on the board and position in the table.

By that token we are not doing things right now. And now is what matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    iainment said:
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:

We've got a dirty great hole in the midfield and missing 2 strikers who, despite only playing half the games, scored 15 goals between them.

That's the main reason "we're not doing things right now", isn't it?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    iainment said:
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:

We've got a dirty great hole in the midfield and missing 2 strikers who, despite only playing half the games, scored 15 goals between them.

That's the main reason "we're not doing things right now", isn't it?

Yes. The lack of depth in numbers will relegate us unless the board does their bit right.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Huddersfield have so far signed Richard Stearman and Harry Toffolo permanently, and Emile Smith Rowe and Andy King on loan, so deals are being done elsewhere
    They have parachute payment money though. Expect their wage bill is huge compared to ours.
  • Options
    The way things are going I expect us to go down - things haven't really picked up. We're down to the bare bones...