Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Relegation

Comments

• Options
    We aren't exactly the form team. 

If we don't get the right players in this month it will become a very real possibility. Especially if we have any other injuries. 
    And if we do get other players in, and key players return?

• Options
    msomerton said:
    I do not see how this team are going to get 21 points from the 19 games left, made even less likely now Connor Gallagher is recalled by Chelsea. Sorry to say I believe it is league 1 next season. Being so close to the relegation zone is going to make it very difficult to get decent players to sign for us in this window, which is another reason to believe relegation is most likely.
    hysterical defeatist nonsense

how many goals or assists has he contributed in the last month or so?

we've got plenty and certainly enough to keep ahead of just 3 other sides
    Barnsley Wigan and Luton are near enough adrift already, avoid defeat in our remaining games against those 3 and the rest takes care of itself - we were never a one man(boy) team - worst case scenario we'll need 48 points to stay up, minimum 3 from those already mentioned leaves 16 from 16.
    Chelsea's charmless chicanery will catalyze action from MS and his paymasters
    we'll be fine, it might be ugly, bumpy, far from enjoyable but we'll be fine, we'll end up with 53 or 54 points comfortably
    Wigan and Luton look likely candidates for relegation, but Barnsley have really turned the corner. Our game against them could be season defining
    Big big game that against Barnsley.
    Feb is probably our most important month of the season and realisticaly with some players coming back i am hoping 9pts at least. Maybe? Probably being too optimistic but anything less than that in Feb and we could be in the bottom 3
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with League 1 - being in the Championship is overrated.

• Options
    Well I'm sure last week everyone was thinking that we would have added to the squad by now, not reduced it.

February is a BIG month. Lose at home to both Barnsley & Luton, as well as not picking up points away to Huddersfield & Stoke & you can say goodbye to playing Millwall again for a couple of years. 
  • Options
    Bet wetters  United this thread 
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with League 1 - being in the Championship is overrated.

Roland??
  • Options
    Well I'm sure last week everyone was thinking that we would have added to the squad by now, not reduced it.

February is a BIG month. Lose at home to both Barnsley & Luton, as well as not picking up points away to Huddersfield & Stoke & you can say goodbye to playing Millwall again for a couple of years. 
    Zzzzzz
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    According to @lancashire lad's super stats, we are currently 17th in the form table. Keep that up and we'll be fine.

As long as three of the teams below us in the real table are also always below us in the form table.

I think. 
  • Options
    I’m sure even the optimists on here are secretly looking nervously over their shoulders. If not they should be. I don’t think we will go down but our form is terrible and once you get in a rut it is difficult to get out of. You can’t fault the effort and commitment the team have shown recently and the performances of the youngsters has been admirable. Whilst some are too doom and gloom we are at the moment basing our survival on the return to fitness of key players who may pick up a further injury on their return, as has happened a few times already this season, and the hope, and that is all it is at the moment, of some quality signings. I’d like to think it will all turn out ok but you can’t help but worry it won’t.
    We're in this run because of one thing: the biggest injury crisis that I've seen in 55 years of following Charlton.

It's truly unprecedented ...... not only key players missing for such a long time, but their replacements also.
    And their replacements are raw youngsters who've been recalled from their non-League loans and the Academy teams.

Now we all know this, of course ...... but this is the reason. 
    And if it happened to any other side in the division, then they would be struggling too.

Incredibly, we are still competitive.
    That spirit of togetherness is still intact ...... and that will keep us alive and kicking.

Key players will return and so will the squad cover ...... what a difference it made against West Brom last Saturday to bring on 3 experienced players from the subs bench.

Bowyer will insist on squad numbers, and Southall has promised team strengthening.
    We've got 2 weeks to bring that to fruition and then assess where we are at.

Sure, where we are now is cause for concern ...... but it's no way a lost cause.
    There's a lot of season remaining. And it's all to play for.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

If we don't get the right players in this month it will become a very real possibility. Especially if we have any other injuries. 
    You're not allowed to say that !
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I’m sure even the optimists on here are secretly looking nervously over their shoulders. If not they should be. I don’t think we will go down but our form is terrible and once you get in a rut it is difficult to get out of. You can’t fault the effort and commitment the team have shown recently and the performances of the youngsters has been admirable. Whilst some are too doom and gloom we are at the moment basing our survival on the return to fitness of key players who may pick up a further injury on their return, as has happened a few times already this season, and the hope, and that is all it is at the moment, of some quality signings. I’d like to think it will all turn out ok but you can’t help but worry it won’t.
    We're in this run because of one thing: the biggest injury crisis that I've seen in 55 years of following Charlton.

It's truly unprecedented ...... not only key players missing for such a long time, but their replacements also.
    And their replacements are raw youngsters who've been recalled from their non-League loans and the Academy teams.

Now we all know this, of course ...... but this is the reason. 
    And if it happened to any other side in the division, then they would be struggling too.

Incredibly, we are still competitive.
    That spirit of togetherness is still intact ...... and that will keep us alive and kicking.

Key players will return and so will the squad cover ...... what a difference it made against West Brom last Saturday to bring on 3 experienced players from the subs bench.

Bowyer will insist on squad numbers, and Southall has promised team strengthening.
    We've got 2 weeks to bring that to fruition and then assess where we are at.

Sure, where we are now is cause for concern ...... but it's no way a lost cause.
    There's a lot of season remaining. And it's all to play for.

Fully agreed 
  • Options
    We'll be fine. If we aren't getting promoted might as well end up in a intense end to the season rather than a turgid mid table affair.

We will stay up, bolster the squad in summer and be very competitive in the championship next year.
  • Options
    Bet wetters  United this thread 
    Vinegar pissers? 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    I do not see how this team are going to get 21 points from the 19 games left, made even less likely now Connor Gallagher is recalled by Chelsea. Sorry to say I believe it is league 1 next season. Being so close to the relegation zone is going to make it very difficult to get decent players to sign for us in this window, which is another reason to believe relegation is most likely.
    hysterical defeatist nonsense

how many goals or assists has he contributed in the last month or so?

we've got plenty and certainly enough to keep ahead of just 3 other sides
    Barnsley Wigan and Luton are near enough adrift already, avoid defeat in our remaining games against those 3 and the rest takes care of itself - we were never a one man(boy) team - worst case scenario we'll need 48 points to stay up, minimum 3 from those already mentioned leaves 16 from 16.
    Chelsea's charmless chicanery will catalyze action from MS and his paymasters
    we'll be fine, it might be ugly, bumpy, far from enjoyable but we'll be fine, we'll end up with 53 or 54 points comfortably
    Wigan and Luton look likely candidates for relegation, but Barnsley have really turned the corner. Our game against them could be season defining
    Big big game that against Barnsley.
    Feb is probably our most important month of the season and realisticaly with some players coming back i am hoping 9pts at least. Maybe? Probably being too optimistic but anything less than that in Feb and we could be in the bottom 3

So to paraphrase,  are you saying the next 2 months are crucial? 
    Is this the right thread for this kind of thing ;)

• Options
    edited January 2020
    How dare you express that common sense view on a football forum. You are a hollering bed wetter! Bowyer will get signed up and we will bring a few good signings and people will say we told you so. But nobody is saying that won't happen, merely that it needs to happen and it is a worry as it hasn't happened yet.
  • Options
    How dare you express that common sense view on a football forum. You are a hollering bed wetter! Bowyer will get signed up and we will bring a few good signings and people will say we told you so. But nobody is saying that won't happen, merely that it needs to happen and it is a worry as it hasn't happened yet.
    2nd time you've referenced "hollering". Just want to try a make it clear a 2nd time, when I said it I was talking about myself, do you not understand that? 
  • Options

My one concern is that this season we've tended to be poor against the lower teams; the defeats at Luton and Wigan were poor performances too, when those are the sort of games we need to be raising our level for.
  • Options
    2nd time you've referenced "hollering". Just want to try a make it clear a 2nd time, when I said it I was talking about myself, do you not understand that? 
    Apologies, what are you hollering about then?
  • Options
    edited January 2020

My one concern is that this season we've tended to be poor against the lower teams; the defeats at Luton and Wigan were poor performances too, when those are the sort of games we need to be raising our level for.
    Again comes back to the players we've had unavailable but has our record really been that poor against the teams around us?

Against those around us when we werent relying on Steve Avory's daycare service it was:

Stoke (W) | Barnsley (D) | Wigan (L) | Birmingham (L) | Derby (W)

With the kids (who arent going to have the experience of playing First Team Football let alone a relegation battle)

Derby (L) | Middlesbrough (L) | Huddersfield (L) | Luton (L)

Comes back to needing new players (and current players being available) by the 1st February

Apart from the Wigan and Luton games none of those have played us off the park either
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

So its safer to assume the injured players will return and not get injured again for the remainder of the season, so dont bother bringing anyone else in?
  • Options
    Apologies, what are you hollering about then?
    Nothing yet (As was also said in my post), I'm giving the Club a chance to sort things out, but I understand it probably ain't as easy as some others might think.
  • Options

Again comes back to the players we've had unavailable but has our record really been that poor against the teams around us?

Against those around us when we werent relying on Steve Avory's daycare service it was:

With the kids (who arent going to have the experience of playing First Team Football let alone a relegation battle)

Comes back to needing new players (and current players being available) by the 1st February

Apart from the Wigan and Luton games none of those have played us off the park either
    But then around the time we were losing to Luton, Boro and Huddersfield, we drew against Cardiff, Hull and QPR, all mid table teams, and all 3 performances were much better too

Indeed after August we've consistently struggled against the poorer teams, but played well against the better ones
  • Options
    My prediction:

We are going down, we're getting relegated.

Fact. Nailed on. No dispute.

I don't know in which year it's going to happen or what division we'll be in when it does happen, but it's a-coming ...
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Oggy Red said:

So its safer to assume the injured players will return and not get injured again for the remainder of the season, so dont bother bringing anyone else in?
    That's not what I said at all, was it?

• Options
    We have 19 games left to get the points. How many games left when all the injured players back and inform, home games left when all these new recruits arrive, if they arrive. As i said before why would a good player come to a club in a relegation battle. I hope I am wrong, but I have seen enough Charlton relegations to worry that we are down.
  • Options
    Don't panic we'll be fine. Injured players will soon be back and with Connor in the midfield we'll be too strong for most teams - makes me laugh those who thought Connor would leave.....

Outside chance of playoffs?
  • Options
    With no reinforcements currently available for the Preston and Fulham games I am assuming two further gallant defeats or draws (I don’t for a moment doubt there will be effort). That will leave us with 17 games to get 5-6 wins and a few draws. It is stating the obvious but the quicker we can get one or two wins the less pressure on the players. Lack of confidence and pressure changes things in sport.
  • Options

But then around the time we were losing to Luton, Boro and Huddersfield, we drew against Cardiff, Hull and QPR, all mid table teams, and all 3 performances were much better too

Indeed after August we've consistently struggled against the poorer teams, but played well against the better ones
    Just my opinion, but I believe we've played better against the ball playing teams.
    Maybe they allow us to play a bit more?

It's the physical, direct teams that we've generally struggled against.

• Options
    edited January 2020

I'd be interested to get a poll going on here, just a simple YES or NO to the question of 'Will we get relegated?'. Be interesting to see what the general consensus is.

I did try to open a new discussion and start one, but don't think I can?