Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Years Honours

Comments

• Anyway it's great to see IDS rewarded for his services to being a ****.
    There’s no question that he is one of, if not the, best in the world at that.
  • bobmunro said:
    Anyway it's great to see IDS rewarded for his services to being a ****.
    There’s no question that he is one of, if not the, best in the world at that.
    And not the first to receive a gong
  • A lot don't seem to like Hamilton. This is surely unreasonable as how can you not like somebody you don't know. You can only judge him on his ability and achievements which as has been said is up there with the all time greats in his sport.
    What??? Of course you can dislike people you don’t know 
  • Queen is head of the Commonwealth, we have the Commonwealth Games so don't see an issue with an Order/Member/Companion of the British Commonwealth.  The Empire will not return.

No one is asking you to apologise @LargeAddick The guy turned down the offer as is his privilege. 

Meanwhile my MP, Bob Neil, has been knighted
  • cfgs said:
    It seems one awaits another year... :-(
    Despite your marvellous achievements with this forum, yet again, it appears you have come up short yet again.

No need to get personal.

o:)
  • George the Poet is absolutely right. He deals in words, and the words 'British Empire' have very bad connotations. If George the Poet thinks accepting those words is not honourable it is understandable to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Midge Ure should have been knighted for Band Aid.
    On the basis that Geldof did...
  • They appear to have missed me off the list again. 
    On the basis that Geldof did...

One without the other was strange.
  • Lol, so everyone that got a gong had their address published. Great work by our trusted civil servants.

Someone needs sacking for that.
  • seth plum said:
    The best ones are those who refuse any suggestion of honours after getting the famous letter of 'consideration' and 'would you accept'.
    I realise that like belief in God, getting some letters after their name might make some people feel better but as far as I can tell there is no material benefit.
    At least the Poet Laureate gets £5750 plus a barrel of sherry.
    If the care workers who get an MBE also got £35,000 a year for life then the system would be improved.
    If it is about 'recognition', well high profile people like Olivia Newton John get recognition anyway.
    "The best ones"?

I'm wary of people like that. Very wary.
  • Yeah. The best ones, my favourites anyway when word gets out they turned down an award.

• Each to their own. Luckily most people are grateful for some form of recognition.
  • The only worthy recipient is WW2 D-Day vet Harry Billinge, unless you are a member of the emergency services, armed forces or have done outstanding charity work all the rest are just pointless, and renders the honours list worthless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah, but David Cameron awarded his barber an MBE in 2014, and he awarded Samantha Cameron's stylist an OBE in his resignation honours. I bet they were grateful for the recognition.
  • Greenie said:
    The only worthy recipient is WW2 D-Day vet Harry Billinge, unless you are a member of the emergency services, armed forces or have done outstanding charity work all the rest are just pointless, and renders the honours list worthless.
    Absolutely, for me he should have been knighted for his duty to this country and for his work getting money raised for a UK memorial on the beeches of D Day. I salute this man for all he had done!! As for IDS he is just a nasty bastard who deserves nothing! There is no comparison between the two of them one is a hero, the other an arsrhole!
  • Zac  F***ing Goldsmith! I ask yer. It seems that if you are a buddy of the PM you will get a gong, no matter what a plumb you are.
  • Fuck me even an mbe is offensive now. 

Also see the politics is creeping in again.....
  • Nothing for Bowyer
  • seth plum said:
    Zac  F***ing Goldsmith! I ask yer. It seems that if you are a buddy of the PM you will get a gong, no matter what a plumb you are.
    Rags to riches story.
    Classic tale.
    Son of Tory stalwart Sir James and related to dodgy billionnaire Labour peer and stalwart, Baron (Lord) Goldsmith?
    Classic!

The attorney general, Lord Goldsmith, a close political ally of the prime minister, is preparing to advise prosecutors on whether to bring charges in the cash for peerages inquiry, the Guardian has learned. He will be consulted by the Crown Prosecution Service, and is expected to give his views on whether charging Tony Blair, or anyone else, is in the public interest.

Though he will not take the final decision, Lord Goldsmith's involvement has angered MPs who made the complaint.

It has also caused anxiety among officers at Scotland Yard, who privately wonder whether he will have the courage to endorse the prosecution of the man who appointed him. They cite Ken MacDonald, the director of public prosecutions, who has declared he will take no part in the case because he is a former colleague of the prime minister's wife.

Lord Goldsmith's relationship with Mr Blair has been under scrutiny before. The attorney general was pilloried by opposition parties over his advice on the Iraq war, which changed after he sought Mr Blair's view about whether Saddam Hussein was in breach of UN resolutions.

• Arise Sir Roland...........................
  • Off with his head