Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Years Honours

Comments

• Options
    Thankfully I knighted Sir Chris Powell some years back and there was no cash involved 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    seth plum said:
    Zac  F***ing Goldsmith! I ask yer. It seems that if you are a buddy of the PM you will get a gong, no matter what a plumb you are.
    Rags to riches story.
    Classic tale.
    Son of Tory stalwart Sir James and related to dodgy billionnaire Labour peer and stalwart, Baron (Lord) Goldsmith?
    Classic!

The attorney general, Lord Goldsmith, a close political ally of the prime minister, is preparing to advise prosecutors on whether to bring charges in the cash for peerages inquiry, the Guardian has learned. He will be consulted by the Crown Prosecution Service, and is expected to give his views on whether charging Tony Blair, or anyone else, is in the public interest.

Though he will not take the final decision, Lord Goldsmith's involvement has angered MPs who made the complaint.

It has also caused anxiety among officers at Scotland Yard, who privately wonder whether he will have the courage to endorse the prosecution of the man who appointed him. They cite Ken MacDonald, the director of public prosecutions, who has declared he will take no part in the case because he is a former colleague of the prime minister's wife.

Lord Goldsmith's relationship with Mr Blair has been under scrutiny before. The attorney general was pilloried by opposition parties over his advice on the Iraq war, which changed after he sought Mr Blair's view about whether Saddam Hussein was in breach of UN resolutions.

Whoosh 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    seth plum said:
    The best ones are those who refuse any suggestion of honours after getting the famous letter of 'consideration' and 'would you accept'.
    I realise that like belief in God, getting some letters after their name might make some people feel better but as far as I can tell there is no material benefit.
    At least the Poet Laureate gets £5750 plus a barrel of sherry.
    If the care workers who get an MBE also got £35,000 a year for life then the system would be improved.
    If it is about 'recognition', well high profile people like Olivia Newton John get recognition anyway.
    Not everything is or should be about money.
  • Options
    For services to the catering industry 

Arise Sir Tone.....................

oh, you are standing! 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I think the real reason Hamilton hasn't got his big gong yet is probably because he isn't finished. Does anyone think there won't be more Grand Prix victories for him?  Stokes, as brilliant as he is, plays a team game, and the country he plays for is England. So that could very well be it.

That's it, now I've upset both F1 fans and England cricket fans, I'm off out. ;)
    This is the answer. He will win SPOTY next year or the year after and his knighthood will also come in time. He hasn't helped him buggering off to Switzerland in order to save himself contributing to our taxes. It's not as if he's struggling is it?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Yeah. The best ones, my favourites anyway when word gets out they turned down an award.

Just as Nigel Farage turned his offer down several times. That must make him the very best of your favourites. 
  • Options
    Actually,  I would have thought a well known Lifer might have been recognised for services to cardigans.  
    Seems destined to be undervalued generally,  did you know that he has had no promotes on here?
  • Options
    I think no currently active sportsperson should get an honour. Maybe 10 years after they retire and there are no skeletons that have emerged from their cupboards. And they have given something back.
    Surely their honours are in what they win in their sporting career.
  • Options
    Hamilton has won 6 world titles in a high profile sport yet no knighthood.

A few who have for less

Nick Faldo
    Jessica Ennis
    Andy Murray
    Bradley Wiggins..

I realise the honours system is ludicrous but for him not to get one is very strange.
    He's got one now..!
  • Options
    about time too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Actually,  I would have thought a well known Lifer might have been recognised for services to cardigans.  
    Seems destined to be undervalued generally,  did you know that he has had no promotes on here?
    There's always next year
  • Options
    Congratulations to Sir Lewis Hamilton.

And to all the other British people who have excelled in 2020
  • Options
    Brilliant news, an inspiration for children including my eldest and proud that he is black and british.

Can seem be a bit of a moody sod and can understand comments regarding him living in Monaco but shopping on Amazon don’t seem to bother most.

Apart from Lewis I was pleased to see an ex-Eltham resident that I was acquainted to has just been knighted also. 

• Options
    I don't believe in knighthoods, they belong in the middle ages.
    I'm not into Motor Sport but if Andy Murray and Steve Redgrave can be knighted, then so should the most successful British F1 driver of all time. Lewis Hamilton use the title for good causes and without checking I hope he have a foundation giving some money back to some good causes.

Lewis seems a good guy so I'm sure he is, or will when he retires.

Members of the public being recognised for hands on work in the community for the good of society is altruistic and worthy.

• Options
    Jimmy Greaves and Ron Flowers both getting MBEs as well, every surviving member of the 66 squad now has been recognised 
  • Options
    Rob Burrow gets an MBE for his services to Rugby and raising awareness for MND as well
  • Options
    Jimmy Greaves and Ron Flowers both getting MBEs as well, every surviving member of the 66 squad now has been recognised 
    They took their time getting round to that, only 54 years late.
  • Options
    Rob Burrow gets an MBE for his services to Rugby and raising awareness for MND as well

It should be 'Sir Kev' for real as well.
  • Options
    The whole honours thing just makes me cringe
  • Options
    Don’t you have to apply for it anyway? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The whole honours thing just makes me cringe
    Exactly.  Wtf has a F1 driver done to be deserving?

A tax exile isn't he? My heart bleeds, he needs the money.
  • Options
    Same as all sportspeople getting awards, they're doing for themselves, self glory.
  • Options
    Beckham is probably deserving of one.

• Options
    AFKA should get one for his services to message boards, and standing up for the little man in the street.

• Options
    Should Olympic Gold medal winners and Grand Slam winners win MBEs?
    I don't think so - certainly not as a matter of course
  • Options
    'Captain' Tobias Weller is so deserving of a British Empire Medal. The 11yr old who has cerebral palsy has raised thousands for charity. He was interviewed this morning and a more deserving recipient you couldn't  find, he is such a lovely young lad.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    People in getting the hump with the New Years Honours List shocker 
    It is bizarre though....Gaby Logan gets an MBE.....for presenting. I mean, wtf. 
    It's always been the same. There don't  seem to be any set criteria, you just get chosen, but maybe Logan was chosen because they needed to fill the quota for sports media journalism or something?
    If that's the case, is there a quota for office workers, builders, electricians etc
    Maybe @golfaddick should get one to meet the quota for financial advisors. He seems to do a decent job at it.
  • Options
    Should Olympic Gold medal winners and Grand Slam winners win MBEs?
    I don't think so - certainly not as a matter of course
    Totally agree. To be honest the whole thing is utter bollocks. Emma Raducanu getting an MBE is a joke. Maybe after a career of consistency and winning things, not after winning one grand slam event. 
    I thought that. There are defo sports persons who have achieved more over a long career and not had a sniff of this recognition. 
    might as well dish them out to Christmas number one - one hit wonders for services to music. 
    Not sure if the New Years ones are the same but I know someone who got an obe but applied themselves, completed the forms and submitted. Made me question the whole process tbh.