Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Years Honours

124»

Comments

• Options
    Why does Emma Raducanu get instant recognition but say Bernie Taupin has to wait four decades since his best work?
    The same could be said for why nominated in the BBC sports personality of the year too for Emma Raducanu. 

One tournament should  not be sufficient I agree. 

I think it’s because too many ‘gongs’ are awarded generally and it’s easy therefore to recognise the outstanding success she had. 

It’s a shame because it detracts from the very worthy winners elsewhere in the awards. 

• Options
    Should Olympic Gold medal winners and Grand Slam winners win MBEs?
    I don't think so - certainly not as a matter of course
    Totally agree. To be honest the whole thing is utter bollocks. Emma Raducanu getting an MBE is a joke. Maybe after a career of consistency and winning things, not after winning one grand slam event. 
      Feel exactly the same about Raducanu. Really makes a mockery of the whole thing.

Still.At least they saw sense by knighting Blair.

;-(

• Options
    I heard that it was the Queen who chose Blair.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I heard that it was the Queen who chose Blair.
    Yeah heard the same, as they normally have to be agreed by the prime minister too
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    The Honours list are an anachronism and an embarrassment.
    Since Jimmy Saville and Fat Phillip Green I can't believe this archaic practice of cronyism is allowed to carry on.

Won't somebody not rid me of this medieval practice.
  • Options
    First British woman to win a tennis Grand Slam since 1977, the previous female grand slam winner got an MBE following their second grand slam victory. Bizarre comments above, this isn't all of the 05 Ashes squad getting honours.
  • Options
    Did Tony Blair get his knighthood for his devoted services to genocide?
  • Options
    Did Tony Blair get his knighthood for his devoted services to genocide?
    Especially them ones he helped stop in Kosovo and Sierra Leon.

nice to see momentum still have 200k on their mailchimp account 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Should be scrapped once the Queens goes. 

Needs to have an overhaul of the whole 'honours' nonsense. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    220k signatures on a petition to remove Blair's knighthood
    There was a programme on telly reviewing the relationship between the Queen and four of her Prime Ministers - Churchill, Harold Wilson, Thatcher and Tony Blair.  The commentator made the comment “Blair, who had insincerity oozing from every pore ….. “
  • Options
    The CEO of the post office given a CBE, even though a least 4 postmaster took there own lives and dozen of others served time in prison for fraud due to a computer error during her watch. I think the whole system is a joke. Why isn't our Tracy on the list?      
  • Options
    The honours system is a complete joke and an anachronism.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    The CEO of the post office given a CBE, even though a least 4 postmaster took there own lives and dozen of others served time in prison for fraud due to a computer error during her watch. I think the whole system is a joke. Why isn't our Tracy on the list?      

A shocking scandal which ruined so many innocent people lives.

• Options
    Should be scrapped once the Queens goes. 

Needs to have an overhaul of the whole 'honours' nonsense. 
    Lost respect in after reading why Sir Alex Ferguson was knighted in his book. It’s political and agreed should be scrapped. Tony Blair one is disgusting.