Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phrases you hate

Comments

• Options
    How about: This is a tough place to come. Always from a manager who has just come there and won.
  • Options
    Tim Flowers on radio commentary a few years ago: If you're going to miss, miss at the back post.
  • Options
    Can you do another booking tonight.

iainment specific I know but I’ve been handed three bookings into temporary accommodation tonight that are too close together in time to get to when the client should be there. And it means I finish work at the wrong end of the borough for me. So I’ll be home not long before ten instead of my hoped for nine o’clock.
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment specific I know but I’ve been handed three bookings into temporary accommodation tonight that are too close together in time to get to when the client should be there. And it means I finish work at the wrong end of the borough for me. So I’ll be home not long before ten instead of my hoped for nine o’clock.
    is there not a strippers you could go to on the company card after work to cheer yourself up?
  • Options
    iainment said:

is there not a strippers you could go to on the company card after work to cheer yourself up?
    The council would frown on that. As would Mrs iainment.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

why does she care about you spending company money?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

why does she care about you spending company money?
    No, your suggested use of the money is what she’d care about.
  • Options
    All the overused social media one liners used by sheep trying to fit in with the crowd:

- Not all heroes wear capes.....
    - Cheers, sons crying......
    - Announce promotion......
    - You ok hun?
    - Bet you’re fun at parties 

etc

Text me if you wanna talk, I'm always here x ;)
  • Options
    'Pissed' meaning angry. 'Pissed' means 'drunk'. It really pisses me off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One up the bum no harm done...  It's so 20th century!
  • Options
    When the rubber hits the road. 

Had a boss who said it all the time and it was unbelievably annoying. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    X 'doesn't do failure'

Nonsense.

I'm looking at you, @DagenhamAddick , though I agree with everything else in your post.

The only way to avoid failure is never to try

• Options
    “The optics” on this / that / whatever meaning how it looks to someone or others. Apparently not to do with the bottles behind the bar!
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    "I'm entitled to my opinion" Said by people when denying a blatant fact

"Banter" Said by Lad Bible divs, used to excuse racism, homophobia and sexism

I thought Banter was between 2 willing parties. 
    It is. The objection here is to people using the term as a justification for behaviour that isn't really banter, but is actually just bullying, racism, homophobia or sexism.
  • Options
    Gillis said:
    UEAAddick said:
    "I'm entitled to my opinion" Said by people when denying a blatant fact

"Banter" Said by Lad Bible divs, used to excuse racism, homophobia and sexism

I thought Banter was between 2 willing parties. 
    It is. The objection here is to people using the term as a justification for behaviour that isn't really banter, but is actually just bullying, racism, homophobia or sexism.
    What about if it’s between like minded bullying, homophobic, sexist racists?
  • Options
    "Here are the five key takeaways from our webinar"

I hardly know where to begin...
  • Options
    All the overused social media one liners used by sheep trying to fit in with the crowd:

- Not all heroes wear capes.....
    - Cheers, sons crying......
    - Announce promotion......
    - You ok hun?
    - Bet you’re fun at parties 

etc

Yeah good call. If there’s one person I don’t want to talk to at parties, it’s the person that uses the ‘fun at parties’ line. 

“It broke the internet!”

”twitter went into meltdown”

and all this extreme reaction lines like “this is all my life needs” and so on. 

• Options
    Bob’s your uncle.

No he’s not.
  • Options
    Bob’s your uncle.

No he’s not.
    He is mine though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    IdleHans said:

I'd suggest you identify the salient points from the webinar and have a bubble up with your cohort to determine the approach going forward.
  • Options
    Or I could just take a bit more notice of the voices in my head
  • Options
    I'm not going to lie but I hate it when people say I'm not going to lie!
  • Options
    To tell the truth, I agree
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    cafcfan said:

Finally, data;  the word is the plural of datum.  So, all BBC journos and whoever writes the BBC website news, it is not alright to say the data is indicating....  Not one BBC journo would say the World Cup stadia is nearly finished.  They know that the word stadia is the plural form of stadium.  How can they not know about data?
    The BBC style guide is to follow common usage with regards to the word data, ie to treat it as a singular, taking a singular verb (e.g. "data was collected..." as opposed to "data were collected...").  So, not only is it "alright" to say data is indicating, it's correct with respect to the BBC guidelines.  

(Incidentally, while the BBC style guide does not incorporate guidance on the use of the word "stadia", the Guardian style guide does: "plural stadiums, not stadia"). 
    Yes, I know.  But the BBC style guide is incorrect (as is HM Government's BTW) and just another indication of the general dumbing down going on in that once august organisation.  If you are collecting individual pieces of information it is clear there is more than one item of information.  How can you collect a singular item?  A collection, by definition is more than one.

Thankfully The Economist Style Guide has it right:  Data and media are plural. So are whereabouts.

The Bank of England style guide (which is not available on-line) also knows the difference between datum and dataAs evidenced by this extract from the BoE's latest Quarterly Bulletin: Data in dashed lines from 2011 onwards are based on responses to the NMG survey (2011 to 2019). Data in solid lines are calculated using BHPS (1991 to 2008) and Understanding Society (2009 to 2017). NMG data are from the H2 surveys only. NMG data before 2015 have been adjusted for a change in the income definition.
  • Options
    It is what it izzz
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    To tell the truth, I agree
    I’ll be honest, I couldn’t agree more if I tried. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

I would start with the chicken shashlik.

• Options
    People calling The Premier League the Premiership or The Prem.
  • Options
    Snowflake