Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phrases you hate

Comments

• Options
    On point

From the get go
  • Options
    My personal hate at the moment - “Too good to go down”
  • Options
    It's too cold to snow
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    "I'm entitled to my opinion" Said by people when denying a blatant fact

"Banter" Said by Lad Bible divs, used to excuse racism, homophobia and sexism

I thought Banter was between 2 willing parties. 
  • Options
    'HE'
  • Options
    Your round 
  • Options
    On point

From the get go
    Can't stand from the get-go. The word is 'start'. From the start. Why replace it with something that makes no sense? 
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    On point

From the get go
    Can't stand from the get-go. The word is 'start'. From the start. Why replace it with something that makes no sense? 
    Seconded. What's a flipping "get go" when it's at home.

I also nominate "when it's at home". How dare I.
  • Options
    The following responses to comments:

- “Why don’t you say what you really think!”

- ”Bet you’re fun at parties!”

- Doing exactly what the previous comment objected to (like replying to this saying “why don’t you say what you really think lol” - especially with a winking emoji, the smuggest of all the emojis). 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

- Doing exactly what the previous comment objected to (like replying to this saying “why don’t you say what you really think lol” - especially with a winking emoji, the smuggest of all the emojis). 

You just know someone is going to exactly that. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Vincenzo said:
    On point

From the get go

I always though it came from athletics: Get Set > Go
  • Options
    'lock and load' 

'fire up the...' laptop/Audi/whatever

'fun and games' a propos of nothing

One acquaintance of mine used to use all of these in a seemingly random way. He does it much less now, once I started taking the piss.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    McBobbin said:
    Vincenzo said:
    On point

From the get go

Another phrase, go on the b of bang.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    iaitch said:
    Stig said:
    McBobbin said:
    Vincenzo said:
    On point

From the get go

Another phrase, go on the b of bang.

Cool sculpture though:

• Options
    Let's go to Whitstable, it has a lovely beach and lots of quality pubs and restaurants.
  • Options
    My personal hate at the moment - “Too good to go down”
    Wait til the end of the season...you'll be using it along with everyone else..

• Options
    Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if someone else has said it, but in football when someone talks about "Your Lampards, your Gerrards, your Rooneys..." etc

There's one of each.  Just say "Players like Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney...."
    I remember an earlier Lampard........
  • Options
    Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if someone else has said it, but in football when someone talks about "Your Lampards, your Gerrards, your Rooneys..." etc

There's one of each.  Just say "Players like Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney...."
    saw this and thought of your post

https://youtu.be/uywyPL2kEEI
  • Options
    Webinar.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Breakfast meeting
  • Options
    Webinar.
    In our place we have Telekits. It took me ages to find out what one was, as the people bandying around the phrase never seemed to know.  Turns out it's not DIY phone, it stands for Telephone Keeping In Touch. Absolute nonsense.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Finally, data;  the word is the plural of datum.  So, all BBC journos and whoever writes the BBC website news, it is not alright to say the data is indicating....  Not one BBC journo would say the World Cup stadia is nearly finished.  They know that the word stadia is the plural form of stadium.  How can they not know about data?
    The BBC style guide is to follow common usage with regards to the word data, ie to treat it as a singular, taking a singular verb (e.g. "data was collected..." as opposed to "data were collected...").  So, not only is it "alright" to say data is indicating, it's correct with respect to the BBC guidelines.  

(Incidentally, while the BBC style guide does not incorporate guidance on the use of the word "stadia", the Guardian style guide does: "plural stadiums, not stadia"). 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Webinar.
    In our place we have Telekits. It took me ages to find out what one was, as the people bandying around the phrase never seemed to know.  Turns out it's not DIY phone, it stands for Telephone Keeping In Touch. Absolute nonsense.
    We have them as well.

• Options
    Stig said:
    Webinar.
    We have them as well.

Great, we can discuss that at our next telekit.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Mentioned it earlier on in the thread but Shearer went on with it last night calling a position in the team a "number 8"

Perhaps Shearer could go through the entire 1-11 and describe the role of each number in the team "he's a number 10" etc

Is that based on playing a 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1? If so does the role of a "number 10" change with the formation?

Just shut up and describe the player as a striker, centre mid etc. False nines etc is just waffle.
  • Options
    All the overused social media one liners used by sheep trying to fit in with the crowd:

- Not all heroes wear capes.....
    - Cheers, sons crying......
    - Announce promotion......
    - You ok hun?
    - Bet you’re fun at parties 

etc

• Options
    Know someone who it appears can only "hop on" to a phone call. Boils my piss.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Most of these vulgarisms are brought into our language by the bloody Americans of course.

Exhibit A: I am super excited.

Exhibit B: Can I get?

Exhibit C: Gratuitous use of the word "totally" 
    may I add:

Exhibit D : Gotten

Exhibit E: For free (we only ever said "you get a free ticket" never "you get a ticket for free" until 10 years ago. I blame Friends)
  • Options
    Mentioned it earlier on in the thread but Shearer went on with it last night calling a position in the team a "number 8"

Perhaps Shearer could go through the entire 1-11 and describe the role of each number in the team "he's a number 10" etc

Is that based on playing a 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1? If so does the role of a "number 10" change with the formation?

Just shut up and describe the player as a striker, centre mid etc. False nines etc is just waffle.
    Us old farts know what he means.