Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Fulham | Wednesday 22 January 2020 Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I was at the game.
    It was a hard fought draw which was great to watch.....everyone put in a shift and all in all a very very encouraging team performance.
    One in the eye for those who have been saying we would never see Taylor in a Charlton shirt again......fingers crossed on him staying, at least until the end of the season anyway. :)
    Doughty is without doubt one for the future and could have (and indeed should have), been our match winner, however on the night his distribution left much to be desired.
    Fulham’s Hector is some player by the way.
    Can’t help but think that if Gallagher was playing we may well have sneaked a goal or two.
    One real down side was our corner taking....oh boy oh boy, The Dog and Duck Sunday reserve side could do better! :/

• Options
    Life’s little preoccupations meant I really wasn’t in the mood last night and, on reflection, should have watched it on telly. But it was my turn to drive so off to the Valley I (not so) jolly well went. To cap it all we had four tourists in the row behind who talked loudly non football related shite relentlessly all night which didn’t help my already intolerant mood. All of which is to say that I was in the sort of mood where the bad things were going to stick in my mind more than the good. Needless to say I didn’t enjoy it much. 

You thought that sort of stuff was bad last night? Wait until the bring a friend for free day and football for a fiver day! Then you'll have real reason to complain!

• Options
    Some of those set pieces last night were laughable - did we manage to deliver a single dangerous one in? The corner in the 2nd half by Ozzy was one of the worst i've seen. My nan could take a better corner
  • Options
    Some of those set pieces last night were laughable - did we manage to deliver a single dangerous one in? The corner in the 2nd half by Ozzy was one of the worst i've seen. My nan could take a better corner

I long for the days of Paul Mortimer corners and Yann Kermorgant free kicks...

I know statistically the chances of scoring from a corner aren't good in any normal circumstances but at least try and make them look dangerous.  
  • Options
    Life’s little preoccupations meant I really wasn’t in the mood last night and, on reflection, should have watched it on telly. But it was my turn to drive so off to the Valley I (not so) jolly well went. To cap it all we had four tourists in the row behind who talked loudly non football related shite relentlessly all night which didn’t help my already intolerant mood. All of which is to say that I was in the sort of mood where the bad things were going to stick in my mind more than the good. Needless to say I didn’t enjoy it much. 

You thought that sort of stuff was bad last night? Wait until the bring a friend for free day and football for a fiver day! Then you'll have real reason to complain!

Yeah I know mate. I dread them. 
  • Options
    Just a couple of points.

Alfie Doughty can't 'alf shift, reminds me of a young Lenny Glover.  Amused to see the the gap doubling every few strides as Harry Arter chased him down the right. Even more amusing when Arter gave it up, probably through embarrassment.

Not sure why Phillips takes free kicks outside his penalty area, it's not as though there is a net gain if 25 percent go straight into touch.

• Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hector

Michael Hector has had a bizarre career. At Reading he had 11 loan spells, then went he went to Chelsea he then had 4 further loan spells

So far he's played for 17 clubs at the age of 27!
  • Options
    Was a tribute to the Roland era by paying homage to Ceballos' corner @ Derby
  • Options
    poor game but we got a point .. good to see Cullen back, Hemed starting and the defence looking more solid than of late .. we were fortunate that Mitrovic and Knockaert weren't fit .. hopefully the squad has settled down with the manager's future assured and that this is the start of a revival for the rest of the season 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ceballos' corner is still the worst I've seen.
  • Options
    Ceballos' corner is still the worst I've seen.
    Yeah went out of play after an even shorter distance compared to yesterday - To be fair I get what Oztumer was trying to do, low drive ball with Taylor (?) running to the front post to squeeze it between that and the 'keeper

Of course requires accuracy which was missing yesterday - Can be forgive both Erhun and Josh as they're rusty, not sure the excuse can be used going forward
  • Options
    Just a couple of points.

Alfie Doughty can't 'alf shift, reminds me of a young Lenny Glover.  Amused to see the the gap doubling every few strides as Harry Arter chased him down the right. Even more amusing when Arter gave it up, probably through embarrassment.

Not sure why Phillips takes free kicks outside his penalty area, it's not as though there is a net gain if 25 percent go straight into touch.

We didn't think that at QPR.
  • Options
    Just a couple of points.

Time wasting dear boy :)
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Based upon that performance and if we add a bit more quality into the squad before Friday week, I see no reason why we can’t finish the season strongly and move up the table. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Our disappointing form of the last sixteen matches may have gradually changed into something much better during last night’s game. For the first twenty minutes I thought we looked poor, and we were chasing shows all over the pitch. What possession we had petered out, and a Fulham goal seemed like an inevitability. 
    But very gradually we improved, as Fulham became frustrated by their failure to capitalise on their dominance. Bowyer’s attacking substitutions set the tone for the rest of the match, and let’s hope, the rest of the season, both on the pitch, and hopefully here on CL.

Cullen, Taylor, Williams. May they play together often. 
    :-)
  • Options

Not sure that final paragraph to the match report makes sense. Spot the not so deliberate mistake!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed It said:
    I just don't see it in Hemed.  He has no speed and I don't see any urgency in his play.  Josh Davison looks stronger with his back to goal than Hemed.  I appreciate he is up top on his own and not getting much help but he is a typical Duchatelet era signing.  This is what we can get with the money we've got,  i.e. not much.

Hemed has proved with other teams he can do it. Think he was thrown in when he was un-fit and as such, he struggled & eventually got injured. 

Full rehab and eventual match fitness and he will look like a different player. He already is tbf.
  • Options
    Their number 3 was really good, ice cold and played some lovely diagonal balls to start the attack. He's what Naby could become
    Hector. 
    Made hemed look amateur was looking like a prem defender and then taylor came on and he panicked a bit 
  • Options
    Attendance down as a rearranged fixture plus not on a Saturday and some watch on the red button.Next two home matches need too get down the Valley.
    I thought the attendance not bad considering. The Covered end was on fine form and no Adams family made it better.
    Were they away on hols? 
  • Options
    Just a couple of points.

Time wasting dear boy :)
    I watched Italy v Sweden in a world cup qualifier a couple of years ago. The Italians had about 80% possession and the Swedes just wanted to cling to their first leg advantage. Every Swedish goal kick was put out for a throw as it wastes more time. The funniest part was a theatrical save by the Swedish keeper   -after the ball had gone out and bounced back in..
  • Options
    Expected a tonking so treated last night's game like a victory. Thought our atmosphere was first class and fulham's poor, but as I'm in H block Covered End I'm in the middle of it which distorts your perspective. Kept a Hammers mate company at the London Stadium last Saturday. Both sets of fans really quiet, and nothing like the noise you get at any Championship game I've been to this season. They try hard but singing sections too spread out amongst the tourists. But I doubt they would sing their side off after a 0-0 like we did. 
  • Options
    Expected a tonking so treated last night's game like a victory. Thought our atmosphere was first class and fulham's poor, but as I'm in H block Covered End I'm in the middle of it which distorts your perspective. Kept a Hammers mate company at the London Stadium last Saturday. Both sets of fans really quiet, and nothing like the noise you get at any Championship game I've been to this season. They try hard but singing sections too spread out amongst the tourists. But I doubt they would sing their side off after a 0-0 like we did. 
    In the first half I thought the Fulham fans actually outsung the CE, but with a pretty dismal repertoire of songs

They were quiet in the second half though
  • Options
    edited January 2020
                             Phillips 
    Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington 
                       Pratley | Cullen 
             Williams         |         Doughty
                       Taylor  | Hemed

Subs: Amos, Solly, Sarr, Morgan, Oztumer, Green, Aneke?

As much as I like the idea of  this leaves us with no one that can really change our game up. Had to assume your bench a bit here. 

I think a better side realistically would be:

Phillips 
    Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington 
    Pratley
    Cullen        |      Doughty
    Oztumer
    Aneke | Hemed

Subs: Amos, Solly, Sarr, Morgan, Williams, Green, Taylor (would Oshilaja be in there somewhere? Probably)

Yep in my formation I have forced Aneke to play up top with Hemed.
    I think Hemed needs someone alongside him and this would enable Lyle to change the game more coming on for Hemed or Aneke later.

I have also switched out Williams for Oztumer as I think having the ability to complete change our style of midget helped us hugely, Fulham like many others don't know how to handle an energetic Williams as they tire.

I still don't really rate Oztumer, but he is another that is only just returning from injury so like Hemed and Aneke he also gets some time.