Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2020

Comments

• Options
    https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/gilchrist-joins-kent/

Kent sign rookie bowler Nathan Gilchrist from Somerset

Only 20, so one for the future 
    Indeed - hasn't played a competitive first team game of any description but that is more to do with the strengths in reserve in the Somerset fast bowling department - he took 5-76 in a pre season friendly against Gloucs. Played against Kent 2s last season where he clearly impressed but, perhaps, as much an influence may have been Tim Groenewald who would have known him well from training and playing with him for Somerset 2s.

I believe that there is another connection between Groenewald and Gilchrist - the former is South African born and given that on Gilchrist's profile it states that St Stithians College (a premier school in S A who come to England every summer to play in the county age group tournament at Kings Taunton) is one of his major sides. Presumably he holds a British passport.

With Gilchrist, Robinson, Cox, Crawley and Qadri all under 23 the future is looking good for us. 
  • Options
    https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/gilchrist-joins-kent/

Kent sign rookie bowler Nathan Gilchrist from Somerset

Only 20, so one for the future 
    Indeed - hasn't played a competitive first team game of any description but that is more to do with the strengths in reserve in the Somerset fast bowling department - he took 5-76 in a pre season friendly against Gloucs. Played against Kent 2s last season where he clearly impressed but, perhaps, as much an influence may have been Tim Groenewald who would have known him well from training and playing with him for Somerset 2s.

I believe that there is another connection between Groenewald and Gilchrist - the former is South African born and given that on Gilchrist's profile it states that St Stithians College (a premier school in S A who come to England every summer to play in the county age group tournament at Kings Taunton) is one of his major sides. Presumably he holds a British passport.

With Gilchrist, Robinson, Cox, Crawley and Qadri all under 23 the future is looking good for us. 
    Kent have recruited more astutely than most other counties over the last three years. They are starting to look a decent county team. One good quick that plays all the time would make a difference, I suspect. I'm not sure about Groenewald; he never impressed that much when he played for Somerset. Certainly, Kent are going in the right direction.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    CHG said:
    The only thing that will save Sussex is the 120 over limit for first innings. Or did I dream that?
    That seems to be correct as Kent have just tweeted "We have 35 overs left to bat with nine wickets in hand". It's one of a number of unique rules for this competition

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53585268

What changes are there?
    While the Bob Willis Trophy will have first-class status in the absence of the usual County Championship schedule, there will be a number of revised playing conditions to help reduce the risk of injuries, especially to fast bowlers:
    A reduction to a minimum of 90 overs in a day's play.
    Each county's first innings of a match can last no longer than 120 overs.
    The follow-on will increase from 150 to 200 runs.
    The new ball will be available after 90 overs rather than 80 overs.
    Points awarded for a draw will increase from five (in the County Championship) to eight to help mitigate against the impact of weather during a shortened competition.
    All other points scoring will remain the same as in the County Championship, such as 16 points for a win with a maximum of five batting and three bowling bonus points in the first innings.
    For the final, in the event of a draw, whichever team gains a first-innings lead will be determined the winner when both first innings are completed. In any other circumstance of a draw or tie, the trophy will be shared.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    CHG said:
    The only thing that will save Sussex is the 120 over limit for first innings. Or did I dream that?
    That seems to be correct as Kent have just tweeted "We have 35 overs left to bat with nine wickets in hand". It's one of a number of unique rules for this competition

What changes are there?
    While the Bob Willis Trophy will have first-class status in the absence of the usual County Championship schedule, there will be a number of revised playing conditions to help reduce the risk of injuries, especially to fast bowlers:
    Points awarded for a draw will increase from five (in the County Championship) to eight to help mitigate against the impact of weather during a shortened competition.
    All other points scoring will remain the same as in the County Championship, such as 16 points for a win with a maximum of five batting and three bowling bonus points in the first innings.
    For the final, in the event of a draw, whichever team gains a first-innings lead will be determined the winner when both first innings are completed. In any other circumstance of a draw or tie, the trophy will be shared.
    The Cricketer also stated that bowling points are awarded after three, seven and ten wickets but I have also read that they are awarded on the same basis as the County Championship - i.e. three, six and nine. Quite honestly, I don't see the need to tinker with the rules.
  • Options
    CHG said:

What changes are there?
    I thought I had seen it a week or two ago. Early slog today. 
  • Options
    I think Sussex are trying to keep these two in and settle for four an over.
  • Options
    The 120 over limit means presumably that they'll have to slog for the last 10 overs
  • Options
    Currently Kent are 411-1, with 20 overs left, leading by 80 runs with 9 wickets left as at midday Monday.
  • Options
    I think Cox will open up once he's past 200 (currently on 199). Won't want to throw his wicket away chasing runs when so close to a possibly career defining knock
  • Options
    Kent 440-1 (107 ov) ... Jordan 199* Jack 175*

13 overs left to bat, last 10 overs reaped 48 runs.

Assuming the foot goes down on the pedal a bit more we should be well over 500 by innings' end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

"What. A. Talent.  Double century. Jordan Cox"
  • Options
    Cox gets his 200!

Great effort but he needs to get on with it now
  • Options
    If cox keeps this form up he may well be in the england team by the end of the year 
  • Options
    If cox keeps this form up he may well be in the england team by the end of the year 
    I bloody hope not, that would destroy his career before it's even started.
  • Options
    Kent’s record partnership of 382 may be in their sights 
  • Options
    Double-hundred for Jack Leaning!
  • Options
    Step it up lads for last few overs. 
  • Options
    And now the all-time record partnership for Kent!
  • Options
    500 up for Kent.

500-1, Cox 222* Leaning 206*

Less than 6 overs remaining, 168 run lead
  • Options
    Double-hundred for Jack Leaning!
    From the bowling of Mitch Clayden too...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    503-1 at lunch - 5 overs after lunch and need to get another 40-50 off those
  • Options
    Stopping for lunch with only five overs of the Kent innings left?! Madness.

503-1 (115 ov) Cox 223* Leaning 208*

Partnership 396* (all-time Kent record for any wicket), lead of 171.
  • Options
    A bizarre thought, but seeing how rare double tons are,  Cox could have scored his career highest ever score at the age of 19
  • Options
    A bizarre thought, but seeing how rare double tons are,  Cox could have scored his career highest ever score at the age of 19
    It's already the highest score for a Kent player scoring his first ton
  • Options
    isn’t it common sense to bowl the next 5 overs then have lunch as overs now will be lost. There is no point to putting an over cap into the game if there isn’t flexibility to stop overs being needlessly lost 
  • Options
    Why the heck did he put them on in the first place? As if Sussex were going to take a wicket.
  • Options
    This session will reveal how flat the wicket is. Scoreboard pressure will help though
  • Options