Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most overrated films

Comments

• Options
    Harry Potter
  • Options
    La la land
    Abso-bloody-lutely. "White man saves jazz" - it's a complete and utter screw you to a genre that Damien Chazelle blatantly only half-remembers in terms of jazz pastiche.

Even worse, and I'd forgotten to mention it - Whiplash. It's a sports film dressed up as a music film. It's a great film but it's absolutely not representative of jazz and it really, really gets to me. (Where are the jam sessions? Why is JK Simmons allowed to drive Miles Teller to this sort of thing? No drummer would punch their snare which likely cost them a few hundred quid! So on, so forth) Adam Neely sums it up for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFYBVGdB7MU 
  • Options
    As a cinephile I really should’ve known this thread would’ve raised my blood pressure a bit..!

yCL_Phantom said:
    The Big Lebowski
    Is one of the best films ever made, simply because the first time you watch it, you think “eh, don’t know what all the fuss is about”. But it’s one of the only films that gets funnier and funnier the more times you watch it. I quote it with my colleagues all the time. 
    I find it suffers from the David lynch Eraserhead syndrome of "if I don't say how great it is all the arty farty types and industry people will laugh at me" 

It's good and I've watched it a few times (my missus loves it) but it doesn't have me reaching for a pack of tissues and wanking myself silly over. 

Sorry!
  • Options
    Wowwwwww, The Dark Knight overrated?!!!
    I reckon so.
  • Options
    As a cinephile I really should’ve known this thread would’ve raised my blood pressure a bit..!

yCL_Phantom said:
    The Big Lebowski
    Is one of the best films ever made, simply because the first time you watch it, you think “eh, don’t know what all the fuss is about”. But it’s one of the only films that gets funnier and funnier the more times you watch it. I quote it with my colleagues all the time. 
    I find it suffers from the David lynch Eraserhead syndrome of "if I don't say how great it is all the arty farty types and industry people will laugh at me" 

It's good and I've watched it a few times (my missus loves it) but it doesn't have me reaching for a pack of tissues and wanking myself silly over. 

Sorry!
    Yeah, as a Coenhead, it's quite far down on my list of their films. 
  • Options
    Horrible Bosses. Even if the entire population of the world thought it was shit, it would still be overrated
  • Options
    Forrest Gump.  It doesn't matter how stupid you are if you follow the Merican way of life you can achieve the Merican dream.   What BS.
    It has a running time of one hour forty two minutes.  They could have improved it enormously by editing out one hour forty one and a half minutes and leaving the few bars of Hendrix in the middle.
  • Options
    Cling
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    La la land
    Abso-bloody-lutely. "White man saves jazz" - it's a complete and utter screw you to a genre that Damien Chazelle blatantly only half-remembers in terms of jazz pastiche.

Even worse, and I'd forgotten to mention it - Whiplash. It's a sports film dressed up as a music film. It's a great film but it's absolutely not representative of jazz and it really, really gets to me. (Where are the jam sessions? Why is JK Simmons allowed to drive Miles Teller to this sort of thing? No drummer would punch their snare which likely cost them a few hundred quid! So on, so forth) Adam Neely sums it up for me:

I get equally irritated by people taking Whiplash too seriously. Its not about jazz. It’s not a documentary. It’s no more responsible for being accurate with jazz or playing in a band than Mighty Ducks is to ice hockey or Escape to Victory is to football. 

The only people who get pissed off at Whiplash are musicians, which to me says a lot! 

To be fair I think you get that reaction when any expert watches a movie on the subject matter they love. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dirty Grandpa - not sure anyone rated it but a horrible film 
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited January 2020
    A beautiful day in the Neighbourhood.  Probably only means something to those in the States who grew up with Mr Rogers. I found it predictable, slow and a bit creepy. 
  • Options
    Dirty Grandpa - not sure anyone rated it but a horrible film 
    If we're going down that route, I give you TED.
  • Options
    American Beauty. 

One of two decent scenes sandwiches around an over-wrought script and echo chamber message.
  • Options
    Empire Strikes Back

only decent compared to the pure shit released since but on its own, a “meh” movie at best.
  • Options
    1. Titanic  would rather have gone down with the ship that watched that tripe.
    2. Dunkirk- if you are that skilful at making films and have a multi million dollar budget please invest in a short book on World War Two
    3. Once upon a time in Hollywood- the longest and most pointless beer commercial in the history of cinema. 
    4. Shape of Water- pretentious nonsense.

(BTW- Loved American Beauty , Easy Rider and  Apocalypse Now all of which would probably make by top 20 movies of all time) 

• Options
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood... worst critically acclaimed movie of 2019. Take away the great opening scene of "Inglorious Basterds," and you can throw that one in the over-rated pile, as well.
  • Options
    Anchorman. I mean, it's enjoyable and amusing, but the way some people go on about it like it's the funniest film ever... It isn't.

Seperately, Seth Rogan, whilst I quite liked Knocked Up, isn't funny unless you are14
  • Options
    1. Titanic  would rather have gone down with the ship that watched that tripe.
    2. Dunkirk- if you are that skilful at making films and have a multi million dollar budget please invest in a short book on World War Two
    3. Once upon a time in Hollywood- the longest and most pointless beer commercial in the history of cinema. 
    4. Shape of Water- pretentious nonsense.

(BTW- Loved American Beauty , Easy Rider and  Apocalypse Now all of which would probably make by top 20 movies of all time) 

Apocalypse Now!! If you have a multi million dollar budget please invest in a decent book about the Vietnam war!

I do agree with you about Dunkirk though.
  • Options
    Im a massive Nolan fan and i agree Dunkirk wasn't all that. Definitely the weakest of all his movies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Anchorman. I mean, it's enjoyable and amusing, but the way some people go on about it like it's the funniest film ever... It isn't.

Seperately, Seth Rogan, whilst I quite liked Knocked Up, isn't funny unless you are14
    Agree on Anchorman, the 2nd one is dreadful and all.
  • Options
    Donnie Darko

Awful, awful movie.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Horrible Bosses. Even if the entire population of the world thought it was shit, it would still be overrated
    Yeah, but Jennifer Aniston is filthy in it.
  • Options
    Forrest Gump.  It doesn't matter how stupid you are if you follow the Merican way of life you can achieve the Merican dream.   What BS.
    It has a running time of one hour forty two minutes.  They could have improved it enormously by editing out one hour forty one and a half minutes and leaving the few bars of Hendrix in the middle.
    No pun intended, I presume.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    La la land

I get equally irritated by people taking Whiplash too seriously. Its not about jazz. It’s not a documentary. It’s no more responsible for being accurate with jazz or playing in a band than Mighty Ducks is to ice hockey or Escape to Victory is to football. 

The only people who get pissed off at Whiplash are musicians, which to me says a lot! 

To be fair I think you get that reaction when any expert watches a movie on the subject matter they love. 
    This is completely fair. But then, we have two very popular films in La La Land and Whiplash, produced by the same bloke, that give zero indication as to how it works.

I know I'm being a bit of a gatekeeper here. I am aware. And on their cinematic merits, both are great films. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy them. 

But when they are the only representations we have of the modern jazz world that most people are conscious of, it does rankle.

As a comparison (and maybe not fair here, as we might be conflating a whole nation's culture with something getting ever more niche) - Lost In Translation is a great film and explores its themes wonderfully. But it does caricature Japanese culture somewhat, and if that is one's main exposure to what Japan might be like, I can see why the film got the critical backlash it did in Japan.

But yeah. I likely have an unavoidable lens through which I watched those films.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    As a professional astronaut I was really offended by the depiction of my trade in Armageddon. 
    Some one said "top gun" - i agree, there was a point when watching it that i thought "if I hear "take my breath away" one more time i'm going to scream", also, astrophysicists don't help the air force.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    As a professional astronaut I was really offended by the depiction of my trade in Armageddon. 
    @ me if you're gonna be snarky and follow me across threads.

Not what I'm saying at all. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    La la land

This is completely fair. But then, we have two very popular films in La La Land and Whiplash, produced by the same bloke, that give zero indication as to how it works.

I know I'm being a bit of a gatekeeper here. I am aware. And on their cinematic merits, both are great films. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy them. 

But when they are the only representations we have of the modern jazz world that most people are conscious of, it does rankle.

As a comparison (and maybe not fair here, as we might be conflating a whole nation's culture with something getting ever more niche) - Lost In Translation is a great film and explores its themes wonderfully. But it does caricature Japanese culture somewhat, and if that is one's main exposure to what Japan might be like, I can see why the film got the critical backlash it did in Japan.

But yeah. I likely have an unavoidable lens through which I watched those films.
    Perhaps you should make your own jazz fiĺms so that we can get a proper balance. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    PaddyP17 said:
    Chunes said:
    @ me if you're gonna be snarky and follow me across threads.

Not what I'm saying at all. 
    You don't do well with jokes do you?

Following you across threads? Have you got the right bloke