Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Virgin Media Broadband

Comments

• Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2022
    Virgin are ok when it works. When it doesn't work, Virgin are a nightmare to deal with. Check Trust Pilot regarding customer services. It may be ok in area, where you have choices to leave, they may take more care.
    As a captive customer, where there are no other superfast choices, I have found the internet service extremely variable. Often breaking down, when there is high demand or very inconvenient or stressful times. Basic Virgin TV is not up to much and you have to pay extra for Sky Atlantic or other channels you may want. 5/10.
  • Options
    Very happy with Virgin broadband. Our package is for 600mb broadband and Ookla speed tests consistently show 650mb+. Been with them since Telewest days, so a bit of a convert, but never had problems. Obviously could be where we live but friends with other providers seem to have more problems.
  • Options
     Sky's operating TV system was far superior to Virgins at one time 
    But since virgin have changed to the relatively new 360 system it's on a par.
    I really like it.
  • Options
    I am so glad I left Virgin 18 months ago - Skys fibre has been amazing
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    If you can live without sky Atlantic then go with virgin. WiFi is definitely the best. We are on volt package and consistently get 1000mbs  and we have four boxes plus about 60 devices connected to WiFi thanks to all the phones, tvs, kids devices, alexas etc. 
  • Options
    Virgins been great for me. But i’m in a flat so no
    problem with the routers range. If your in a house i’s recommend buying a decent router.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I've had Virgin in 4 properties.  Gravesend, Bexleyheath, Welling and Petts Wood over the last 15-16 years.  Virgin was brilliant at Gravesend, Bexleyheath and Welling and was reasonably good in Petts Wood until lockdown when it kept going down on a regular basis.

One of my neighbours is a network expert and set up a thing on a server which speed checked his line and several others on our street and he proved there was a massive problem

Virgin finally admitted the local network was oversubscribed and was running at full capacity.  They've since slapped a block on all new sign ups in our post code.

Shortly after, a good few of us got out of our contract early quoting their admission and went over to FTTP, on BT, Sky and a few others.  We're all getting our advertised download/upload speeds now with no downtime where guaranteed our neighbour whatsapp group pings 3-4 times a week asking if Virgin is down.  Interestingly its only one end of our road with issues and we discovered they were fulfilled by two different cabinets.

So I'd say, it depends very much where you are!

But you need to invest in a decent network setup indoors, dont just rely on the free router provided by the ISP.  I've got 4 Linksys Velop mesh nodes running round my house, all my Sky Q boxes are on ethernet and we've had ethernet run to both office and man cave so there running at optimum.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

So I'd say, it depends very much where you are!

But you need to invest in a decent network setup indoors, dont just rely on the free router provided by the ISP.  I've got 4 Linksys Velop mesh nodes running round my house, all my Sky Q boxes are on ethernet and we've had ethernet run to both office and man cave so there running at optimum.
    This!

I am with TalkTalk and their own Wi-Fi Hub would just stop talking to some wireless devices, I invested in a Ubiquiti UDM and never had any issues other than the odd bug here and there. Most consumers don't need a device like that, but can't recommend highly enough getting a more capable router. 

Recently upgraded to FTTP with TalkTalk, what a painful experience. Anyway, now working and I'm getting the full speeds and I got a new Eero router with the service. It may be good, but I don't need it. 
  • Options
    For those more Kent based with had out Trooli full fibre for around 6 months now, so much better than Sky was and only gone down very briefly twice in that time. 

If you can get it on the £25 per month deal we’re on it’s very much worth it. 
  • Options
    So my wife gets a call last night (when in the pub waiting for me) and agrees a continuation of our current package (which apparently runs out in two days time). We had a really good deal for the last 18 months - just £53 a month, with movies, sports, all thrown in. I knew we wouldn't get the same price again, especially as we were told our bundle would normally cost £157.50 a month! So (once I arrived) we were pleased to accept the offer of £64 and some pennies for the next year and a half, and an engineer coming Monday to upgrade the hub. 

Then this morning the contract comes through....Thanks for upgrading your package, the new monthly cost is £157.50!!!!

I call VM, but get the "non-sales" team, and the best they can offer for the same package is £82 a month. I feel this is a complete rip-off! I now have to call the sales team and try to find out if they can give me the original deal we agreed last night! Scammers!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    They should have it all on record but this is a big problem I have with Virgin, some of their staff are excellent and helpful and some are beyond rubbish. The Indian call centre staff don't seem to be well trained although there are some good ones. Some make things up and I even had an argument with one that I did not have a virgin shop next door to me. Who should Fing know? Also, you can have long waits for help. When it all works it is fine but maybe you can say that about everything. 

I was ready to leave them, but they offered me a fair deal so I stayed. I may have been able to get it a bit cheaper elsewhere but it would have been an unknown in terms of service. Make a note of when your contract runs out or they will put you on the higher tariff without warning. I didn't get any e-mails. They said they sent one, but I am ready for the dishonesty of these companies and know they are all the same. I think the government should legislate and nobody should pay an automatic different amount without their permission.  Nobody is going to agree a contract paying the maximum so this sort of behaviour should be punished. What is the difference to a theif claiming you gave them your wallet?
  • Options
    All sorted, thankfully.  A very helpful VM person (not based in India by the sound of it!) took time to go through the issue, find the correct documents, and raise a note on the problem as three different prices were on record - the £64 quote, the actual £157.50 cost of the package, and another price (which was probably the discount offered...). The new hub delivery wasn't on file either so we'd have been waiting for nothing on Monday when it was due to arrive...

They've now sorted out this month's bill, with a discount, and the team will revue the call made (which was recorded) and should match the offer for the next 18 months, TBC later next week.

Phew!
  • Options
    I've been quoted £82 for their basic package (with decent enough broadband) up from £50 or so... Last year I got out through to disconnections as I only need the broadband and can use Freeview, smart TV and don't have a landline... Trouble is, there's a total lack of competitors in my road! I think another phone call will be in order
  • Options
    They have a home based call centre and an Indian based one. I have found the home based one is a lot better on the whole.
  • Options
    They have a home based call centre and an Indian based one. I have found the home based one is a lot better on the whole.
    I tended to find you got the home call centre between 8 and 9 in the morning. 
  • Options
    Hex said:
    I tended to find you got the home call centre between 8 and 9 in the morning. 
    Lunch time in India?
    They are 4.5 hours ahead of UK. 
  • Options
    I had VM since the cable was installed in our street - approaching 30 years but always read the stories that Sky TV was better.  Apart from Atlantic and Sports HD, both of which Sky witheld from VM, the channels were very similar.  Having moved house and been reduced to 34Mbit broadband I long for VM.

Sky lovers (including Which?) consistently state how much better their TV boxes were than the VM boxes.  I can categorically state that the VM V6 is much superior in usability than the Sky Q. 
  • Options
    Thats an interesting point about Sky Q v the latest VM box 

For years it was always BT supplied the rest hubs and Sky had the best set top box and interface, my inlaws have the new VM set up and it is decent however because I'm used to SkyQ now I prefer that but can easily see why people prefer the VM one 

• Options
    I o my really watch Netflix and iPlayer, so don't need a fancy box, not that that will cut any ice with virgin
  • Options
    Virgin media are in my street but I refuse to go with them, was with TalkTalk on FTTP paying £40 for 500mb down and 90mb up. New company called YouFibre covered my street and now getting 1GB down and up for £28 per month, broadband only. No other bells and whistles needed. 

TV wise with Sky using Sky Q box, not sure you can get those anymore and they are pushing their new pucks. I prefer sky over VM, always will. But more and more Sky are becoming less relevant, with football streaming on multiple platforms. Be interesting to see what happens when the football rights are up again. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    just renewed our Trooli fibre, was on the 300mb fibre full fibre for £25 a month, they offered me the 150mb for £30 as they no longer do 300. Got them to give me the 500 for £30 in the end. They’re the only ones that do full fibre in my road so I’m probably lucky. 
  • Options
    Virgin are currently digging up the road where I live and will soon be offering “lightening fast” broadband. Currently with Sky Broadband and I’ve just checked my hub speed and it’s 29.6mb/s. Virgin are offering various packages once work is complete ranging from 125mb/s - 1Gb/s. I have Sky Q with most evenings having three TV’s working plus usual household WiFi gadgets including Hive, Ring, Alexa x 4 plus smart phones and iPads. On the whole I don’t have many issues with the current broadband setup but like the idea of having faster speed and more reliability (?) Any advice from other Virgin lightening fast users would be helpful including what speed should I consider based on my devices. 1 Gb/s seems too much but 500 mb/s seems attractive (?) other choices are 125mb/s and 350mb/s. TIA
  • Options
    Virgin is good  when it works . However customer service is the pits. Once they wire you up you are stuckwith them if you try to leave it will cost you at least £200
  • Options
    DPFC said:
    Virgin is good  when it works . However customer service is the pits. Once they wire you up you are stuckwith them if you try to leave it will cost you at least £200
    Why will it cost at least £200 to leave them?
  • Options
    I got out of Virgin who wanted to increase my bill (over 20 years with them) from £80 a month to £114.
    I switched to community fibre which offers the same for £50.
    I did everything right including packing up and returning their equipment and telling my bank to stop payments .
    Virgin are chasing me for money I don’t owe, you pay in advance and I stopped with them on January 8th.
    Did everything by the book and calendar too.
    Crap company, crap service, the only thing they do persistently is harass for money.
    If there is a call I insist that the call is being recorded, and mention that in subsequent interaction.
     Every time a phone person uses the word ‘obviously’ I question why something is obvious and dispute their assertion.
  • Options
    Thought Virgin was very good but ditched it 18months ago for BT which in terms of speed was much better for me.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I got out of Virgin who wanted to increase my bill (over 20 years with them) from £80 a month to £114.
    I did everything right including packing up and returning their equipment and telling my bank to stop payments .
    Virgin are chasing me for money I don’t owe, you pay in advance and I stopped with them on January 8th.
    Crap company, crap service, the only thing they do persistently is harass for money.
    If there is a call I insist that the call is being recorded, and mention that in subsequent interaction.
     Every time a phone person uses the word ‘obviously’ I question why something is obvious and dispute their assertion.
    What do you get for £50? Trying to work out if that’s a good option to look in to 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    What do you get for £50? Trying to work out if that’s a good option to look in to 
    Have a look at CityFibre. Some of the companies in my area offer 1gb for about 30 a month.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    seth plum said:
    Have a look at CityFibre. Some of the companies in my area offer 1gb for about 30 a month.
    City Fibre or Openreach are not available in my road. All that currently is available is a phone line connection from a telegraph pole in the road. Currently I have Sky billing me for that. True fibre is only going to be available through this new initiative. I don’t want a Virgin Media package. Just broadband.
  • Options
    Never had any issue with virgin broadband

got volt package- 1gb

get full virgin media package including sports and movies and an o2 SIM card for 86 a month. 

We have boxes in 4 rooms and a landline phone. 

also got 3 WiFi pods that you plug in and boost signal to the area’s furthest away from the hub. 

Probably have about 50 devices connected and no noticeable drop off when got 2 TVs on, two kids playing Xbox online , five’s phones being used etc