Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Virgin Media Broadband

12346»

Comments

• Options
    cafcpolo said:
    seth plum said:
    I got out of Virgin who wanted to increase my bill (over 20 years with them) from £80 a month to £114.
    I switched to community fibre which offers the same for £50.
    I did everything right including packing up and returning their equipment and telling my bank to stop payments .
    Virgin are chasing me for money I don’t owe, you pay in advance and I stopped with them on January 8th.
    Did everything by the book and calendar too.
    Crap company, crap service, the only thing they do persistently is harass for money.
    If there is a call I insist that the call is being recorded, and mention that in subsequent interaction.
     Every time a phone person uses the word ‘obviously’ I question why something is obvious and dispute their assertion.
    What do you get for £50? Trying to work out if that’s a good option to look in to 
    Have a look at CityFibre. Some of the companies in my area offer 1gb for about 30 a month.
    City Fibre or Openreach are not available in my road. All that currently is available is a phone line connection from a telegraph pole in the road. Currently I have Sky billing me for that. True fibre is only going to be available through this new initiative. I don’t want a Virgin Media package. Just broadband.
    I've been with Virgin for about 3 years, without any problems and just have the 250mb broadband at £36 per month.
  • Options
    I am happy with my Virgin Broadband. It is just the customer service is very poor on the whole if/when you need it. 
  • Options
    I have Sky T.V.Broadband I also still use my Landline(do have a mobile but hardly use it).I was thinking about enquireing about Fiber.All the cables have been laid in the road
     two years ago.But I did read that are problems such as bad connections,no dialing out to make calls also not very clear. Any advice or experience.
  • Options
    I have another question so apologies in advance. 
    As I posted earlier I did a speed check on my current Sky broadband this morning and it’s at 29.6 mb/s at the hub. Is there a big difference in this speed once it reaches various rooms and how can I measure this room by room ? 

Virgin blurb says that on their 1Gb/s fibre package they guarantee 30mb/s in every room but does that sound extraordinarily low if the hub speed is 1Gb/s ? I understand that the WiFi is impacted by walls etc but it just sounds an enormous discrepancy to me. Does 30mb/s sound adequate?
  • Options
    Download 47.86.Upload 17.88
  • Options
    Do many of you people still use landlines or is a age thing?
  • Options
    edited March 2
    Derek1952 said:

Up until about a year ago I had no option other than to use BT Broadband with a land line (and I got a massive 3Mb/s!). Since we've had Airband FTTP using their own infrastructure I've had no need to have a landline and once I was happy with Airband reliability I told BT where to go!

I now have on average 600-900 Mb/s download and 250 Mb/s upload and use wifi calling on my mobile.

I'm 66 so not sure it's an age thing, but I suppose for many it will be. Most of my circle of friends do not now have landlines.

Besides, landlines as we know them are going next year.
  • Options
    As I posted earlier I did a speed check on my current Sky broadband this morning and it’s at 29.6 mb/s at the hub. Is there a big difference in this speed once it reaches various rooms and how can I measure this room by room ? 

Virgin blurb says that on their 1Gb/s fibre package they guarantee 30mb/s in every room but does that sound extraordinarily low if the hub speed is 1Gb/s ? I understand that the WiFi is impacted by walls etc but it just sounds an enormous discrepancy to me. Does 30mb/s sound adequate?
    Download Ookla Speedtest app and check in various rooms.

You're very unlikely to get 1gb over wifi with Virgin even if sat next to your router. 30mb is probably their worse case. If its a big house with brick walls then could easily happen.

Done a test in mine where signal at its worse. 1gb virgin, on my 2ghz network I get 45mb. On the 5ghz its 175mb. Next to the router on 5ghz I'm getting 900mbs.
  • Options
    @ShootersHillGuru have you looked at the mobile hubs as an alternative?

these can produce higher speeds than traditional copper wire broadband

i believe that Three do a 5g home hub and Vodafone also have a product

obviously only work if you have good mobile coverage from a mask but give the advantage that you can move them about the home for better coverage compared to traditional router
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I got out of Virgin who wanted to increase my bill (over 20 years with them) from £80 a month to £114.
    I did everything right including packing up and returning their equipment and telling my bank to stop payments .
    Virgin are chasing me for money I don’t owe, you pay in advance and I stopped with them on January 8th.
    Crap company, crap service, the only thing they do persistently is harass for money.
    If there is a call I insist that the call is being recorded, and mention that in subsequent interaction.
     Every time a phone person uses the word ‘obviously’ I question why something is obvious and dispute their assertion.
    What do you get for £50? Trying to work out if that’s a good option to look in to 
    Home landline, broadband and TV…but not all the TV channels routinely available before (I have never had a sky paid package). Don’t especially miss those channels.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Derek1952 said:
    I use mine but I am a bitter angry boring old git with a sad life.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Derek1952 said:
    Harsh but fair mate 😂
  • Options
    SE9toDA2 said:
    @ShootersHillGuru have you looked at the mobile hubs as an alternative?

these can produce higher speeds than traditional copper wire broadband

i believe that Three do a 5g home hub and Vodafone also have a product

obviously only work if you have good mobile coverage from a mask but give the advantage that you can move them about the home for better coverage compared to traditional router
    Thanks. I’ll look into that. 👍
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Derek1952 said:
    Harsh but fair mate 😂
    You say that as if there’s something wrong with being bitter, angry, boring, old and sad.
  • Options

Generally the provided wifi routers by the likes of Sky, Virgin etc aren't great.

I'm with sky, no full fibre in my road yet but I get the max 74gb they state. However as my house it quite large and a L shape wifi dropped off at at the other end of the house, I was getting maximum 25gb. I simply installed a couple of wired access points and now get the full 74gb everywhere on wifi.
  • Options
    edited March 4
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Home landline, broadband and TV…but not all the TV channels routinely available before (I have never had a sky paid package). Don’t especially miss those channels.
    So what TV channels does that give that is not on Freeview? Do you mean its the likes of Netflix but not the Sky channels?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    So what TV channels does that give that is not on Freeview? Do you mean its the likes of Netflix but not the Sky channels?
    Don't know the answer to that. There are so many iterations of channels and packages and whatnot I have no real idea how one compares to another.
  • Options
    I recently renewed after the initial 18 months. 

Broadband Installation, M250 Fibre Broadband, Virgin TV 360, TV Essentials, Phone Line Rental, Weekend chatter. 

Went up from £33 to £41. Works for me. 
  • Options
    Traditional phones lines (PSTN) are slowly being fazed out, before to get broadband from BT ETC you would need a telephone line and the broadband service is an add-on on top of the line. SOGEA is broadband without a telephone line service, so that's your FTTC like service. 

If you have a fibre service from VM or another FTTP provider, your telephone service will be digital. 

I do not have a phone line service here.