Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stoke City v Charlton Athletic | Sat 08 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    1-1.

Taylor penalty puts us ahead. Stoke equalise late on as we sit back, but we hold on for a point.
  • Options
    Pretty near full strength now and play a team around us near the bottom. Obviously need to get something from this. Capable of getting a win but need to be at our early season best. I feel a draw is on the cards. 0-0. COYRs

• Options
    Fancy a win today. 2-1 Charlton. Green and Taylor. Huge win and we can start looking up towards the pack ahead instead of down at Wigan. 
  • Options
    Dont see many goals being scored today.
    0-0 or a 1-0 win for us. Make a change from all these 2-2 draws. Wish i was going today. Enjoy the day to all those travelling
  • Options
    1-3
  • Options
    Amazed at the optimism on here. No away win for 5 months. Hope you're right of course. 
  • Options
    Amazed at the optimism on here. No away win for 5 months. Hope you're right of course. 
     Probably has something to do with the core of our team being back fit. We were doing very well when they were all fit. Why should we expect any different?
  • Options
    Dull, drab 1-1 with neither side willing to really go for the win. 
  • Options
    It's @FishCostaFortune who grabs the 'headlines' in today's review btw...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dour game in dour city. 0 - 0
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
     Probably has something to do with the core of our team being back fit. We were doing very well when they were all fit. Why should we expect any different?
    The core isn't fully fit though. And even with a pretty strong team, we still didn't win any away games in September and October

I'm expecting a tough match today
  • Options
    They are getting fitter every game. We are not in the desperate straights were were a few games ago.
  • Options
    I think Bowyer was the opposite last season, but maybe his approached change with the injuries and the need for damage limitation. Hopefully with players coming back we will be less cautious. I think Wilder cited the caution as a major weakness of Championship managers although given our situation, I don't think Bowyer can be categorised as being over cautious. 
    What else could he be but cautious with 14 players injured? He actually did a good job in making sure we did not get turned over. As a result we have a goal difference worth an extra point.
    However, now the players are back we should be more attacking as we need 5 more wins from somewhere.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Southbank said:
    I think Bowyer was the opposite last season, but maybe his approached change with the injuries and the need for damage limitation. Hopefully with players coming back we will be less cautious. I think Wilder cited the caution as a major weakness of Championship managers although given our situation, I don't think Bowyer can be categorised as being over cautious. 
    What else could he be but cautious with 14 players injured? He actually did a good job in making sure we did not get turned over. As a result we have a goal difference worth an extra point.
    However, now the players are back we should be more attacking as we need 5 more wins from somewhere.
    Totally agree. We are more likely to get the wins going for it but you need to have the personnel to do that. It can be argued that we are back in a position to take this approach now. The sooner we get those 5 wins the better as who knows, we could get another injury crisis.
  • Options
    We can’t keep a clean sheet and Stoke’s defence has tightened up since MON took over. 1-1
  • Options
    Really keen to see how Bowyer lines up with a stronger squad to choose from 

Philips 

Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Sarr | Doughty

Cullen | Davis | Williams 

Green | Taylor 

Subs: Amos, Purrington, Pratley, Field, McGeady, Hemed, JFC 
  • Options
    How many of our big new signings will make the starting 11 ?

My guess is one or zero.
  • Options
    How many of our big new signings will make the starting 11 ?

My guess is one or zero.
    Davis is my bet, McGeady on bench
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Really keen to see how Bowyer lines up with a stronger squad to choose from 

Philips 

Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Sarr | Doughty

Cullen | Davis | Williams 

Green | Taylor 

Subs: Amos, Purrington, Pratley, Field, McGeady, Hemed, JFC 
    I don't reckon we will play all 3 cbs with a game midweek and Oshilaja injured. 

If we do go 3 at the back I reckon it'll be Pratley in the middle of the 3.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really hope we don't play wing backs. Davis should be alright to start and Field should be ready to get a decent amount of game time. Let's win the midfield battle and give the defence an easier ride. 
  • Options
    Last week showed that we need Williams (who I suspect will have the crap kicked out of him today, as per) and Lyle, but we will also need a bit of strengthening in midfield, so I would swap Doughty for Davis.;

Stoke are not the hopeless proposition that they were early in the season and it will be a tough ask at that horrible, windy stadium this afternoon - if we get anything from this, I will be happy, but you never know....
  • Options
    Do Stoke have any pace in the team? They didn't seem to when we last played them. If they don't I'd play Sarr and rest Pearce. I do like the idea of Pratley playing in the middle of a three.
  • Options
    Do Stoke have any pace in the team? They didn't seem to when we last played them. If they don't I'd play Sarr and rest Pearce. I do like the idea of Pratley playing in the middle of a three.
    James McClean and Tom Ince are quite quick. Ince will play wide right so cutting into the side of Pearce/Sarr.
  • Options
    A police state up here. Filtered off train to one of two pubs. Was chatting to police about getting an uber, and discouraged to go to the ground other than on the designated bus.

Are Stoke 's Nifty Fifties, or whatever they were called, still in existence? They must OAPs by now. 
  • Options
    Things have not changed in Stoke since i was last up there and the results will same the same as well.Defeat.
  • Options
    I have a feeling we will avoid defeat.
  • Options
    A police state up here. Filtered off train to one of two pubs. Was chatting to police about getting an uber, and discouraged to go to the ground other than on the designated bus.

Are Stoke 's Nifty Fifties, or whatever they were called, still in existence? They must OAPs by now. 
    Same here. Copper said to me:
    ”please don’t walk to the ground, it’s for your own safety”
    Madness. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Preview 11 spot on. @ForeverAddickted take a bow. 
  • Options
    No McGeady on the bench *wets bed*