Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread: Charlton v Luton Sat 22 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Thread

edited February 2020 in General Charlton
Match thread for today. We really need to win this.

Let's hope that we're set up well. And the team turn up.

COME ON YOU REDS!

Comments

• In proper football format:

Charlton: Phillips; Lockyer, Oshilaja, Sarr; Matthews, Cullen, Oztumer, Davis, Doughty; Taylor, Green

Substitutes: Amos, Pearce, Smith, Lapslie, McGeady, Hemed, Bonne

• Too defensive for me. Shame really. Hope Bow gets them ready and a good performance results in a big 3 points. 
  • Not a fan of that but hey ho, COYR. 
  • edited February 2020
    Lapslie back in the squad. Surprised Purrington isn't on the bench. Nice to see Green and Oz starting - much more creative with them two on the pitch
  • Is that 5 at the back or is Doughty being pushed forward?
  • Pleased to see McGeady and Hemed on the bench, I wonder if Oshilaja will be a 3rd CB or at the bottom of the diamond? Or a bit of both...
  • Is that 5 at the back or is Doughty being pushed forward?
    Can't see anything other than wing backs again. No one else to play left back in that line up really. 
  • Can’t get my head round that line up at all. Bizarre. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Why no Aneke on the bench? is he injured again?
  • From the OS:

Andre Green returns to the starting lineup for today’s game against Luton Town at The Valley.

The 21-year-old is one of three changes for the match with Deji Oshilaja and Erhun Oztumer returning to the first XI and Jason Pearce, Aiden McGeady and Tomer Hemed all moving to the bench.

It means the Addicks could lineup in a 3-5-2 formation or in a 4-diamond-2.

If the aforementioned Tom Lockyer, Deji Oshilaja and Naby Sarr will start in a back three in front of Dillon Phillips.

Adam Matthews and Alfie Doughty will act as wing backs with Josh Cullen, David Davis and Oztumer in midfield behind a front two of Green and Lyle Taylor.

If Lee Bowyer opts for a diamond formation Oshilaja would move out of defence and into a holding midfield role.

Ben Amos, Macauley Bonne, Matt Smith and George Lapslie join Pearce, McGeady and Hemed on the bench.

Charlton: Phillips; Lockyer, Oshilaja, Sarr; Matthews, Cullen, Oztumer, Davis, Doughty; Taylor, Green

Substitutes: Amos, Pearce, Smith, Lapslie, McGeady, Hemed, Bonne

Find out how you can watch and listen to today's game on Valley Pass and the Valley Pass app.

• edited February 2020
    Sage said:
    Too defensive for me. Shame really. Hope Bow gets them ready and a good performance results in a big 3 points. 
    Same here, would have much preferred the diamond or even a 4-3-3 today. 5-3-2 has worked well occasionally against the top teams this season, but can't see how we are going to break Luton down with this formation.

Maybe Deji playing instead of Pearce we will be a little more flexible when we have the ball and he might be tasked with carrying out from the back a bit more, pushing Cullen and Davis forward?

• Sage said:
    Too defensive for me. Shame really. Hope Bow gets them ready and a good performance results in a big 3 points. 
    Not sure if a team with Sarr, attacking wing backs in Matthews and Doughty, Oztumer and 2 strikers in Green and Taylor is too defensive but there we go
    Depends if we have 3 centre halves marking one striker. If we do our midfield will be swamped.
  • Talal said:
    Is that 5 at the back or is Doughty being pushed forward?
    Can't see anything other than wing backs again. No one else to play left back in that line up really. 
    Sarr could, but isn't, it's 3 at the back with the option of pushing Deji ahead to the base of a diamond
  • The interesting thing for me is seeing Oshilaja starting. I've wanted that for a while. Let's see how it is at the back as we've been shaky back there since the turn of the year.
  • Bonne did such a good job when Taylor was out, can’t see why we are not starting with him.
  • sam3110 said:
    Sage said:
    Not sure if a team with Sarr, attacking wing backs in Matthews and Doughty, Oztumer and 2 strikers in Green and Taylor is too defensive but there we go
    It's about who will create for the strikers. Matthews doesn't attack much so it's just Oztumer and Doughty who also has to defend. We don't need three centre backs at home to Luton, surely. 
  • edited February 2020
    Oztumer in for Williams, Davis in for Pratley and Oshilaja in for Pearce (when comparing against the XI that started against Barnsley three weeks ago).

That's effectively the team (and formation) that went 2-0 up at half time against Barnsley. I'm expecting us to go at Luton in a similar fashion this afternoon.
  • edited February 2020
    Talal said:
    Sarr?
  • Sponsored links:

• We can't defend so have a lineup centred around defensive solidity from the off.....but we know that doesn't help us! Never know until the first whistle. 
  • Talal said:
    Sarr?
    At a push but he's not a left back. 
  • Bizarre that people think this is a defensive set up. As said, we blew Barnsley away in the first half with exactly this set up three weeks ago.
  • Where's 'Steady Eddie' Purrington?

I hadn't heard that he was injured. Tactical change, maybe?

• edited February 2020
    Oztumer in for Williams, Davis in for Pratley and Oshilaja in for Pearce (when comparing against the XI that started against Barnsley three weeks ago).

That's effectively the team (and formation) that went 2-0 up at half time against Barnsley. I'm expecting us to go at Luton in a similar fashion this afternoon.
    Can’t see Luton being anywhere near as shit as Barnsley were that first half. Then second half we were second best.
  • Bonne did such a good job when Taylor was out, can’t see why we are not starting with him.
    I would imagine that his return is being managed after injury.
  • edited February 2020
    Luton: Sluga, Potts, Tunnicliffe, Pearson, Berry, Cornick, Rea, Mpanzu, Carter-Vickers, Collins (c), Bree

Subs: Stech, Cranie, McManaman, Hylton, Shinnie, Moncur, Bolton
    I would imagine that his return is being managed after injury.
    Bowyer worried his agent will take to twitter to rant again..........
  • Oztumer in for Williams, Davis in for Pratley and Oshilaja in for Pearce (when comparing against the XI that started against Barnsley three weeks ago).

Can’t see Luton being anywhere near as shit as Barnsley were that first half. Then second half we were second best.
    Barnsley were sh*t first half because we didn't allow them to settle.

Second half we sat back too deep on a 2 goal cushion, lost momentum and handed them the initiative.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!