Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Charlton v Luton Sat 22 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Luton got some major injuries absences. We’ve got to go for this. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Bringing on Lapslie correlates terrifyingly well to the dropping of points. I had thought that Pratley was a similar culprit (well, Bowyer is the culprit really) but he wasn't - Lapslie, however, is a player who either starts or doesn't come on imo
    You what?
    There is a very high correlation between games Lapslie has come on in, and the scoreline turning against us consequent to that substitution. 
    I understood that bit, it was the Pratley part that threw me as he's almost always been a starter this season. Cant imagine you've seen anything in Lapslie that says he's worthy of a start so you're saying he shouldn't be in the team?
    I can see Lapslie playing the Gallagher/Davis headless chicken role from the start, but he's no sort of player to bring on whether chasing the game or defending a lead 
  • Options
    Pratley coming on was last season. Usually it closed out the game pretty well 
  • Options
    With our two and a half attacking players?
  • Options
    Naby will stop 'em
    Lyle will hit 'em
    3-0 Charlton
  • Options
    Izzy Brown is a major loss for them
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    In proper football format:

Charlton: Phillips; Lockyer, Oshilaja, Sarr; Matthews, Cullen, Oztumer, Davis, Doughty; Taylor, Green

Substitutes: Amos, Pearce, Smith, Lapslie, McGeady, Hemed, Bonne

You’re too modern for me, @“Oggy Red”, I still can’t cope with full backs in that row.
  • Options
    I really hope its a 4-diamond 4 -2 formation. As I recall, we played 3-5-2 at Luton and it really didn't work.
  • Options
    Is it too late to change my prediction ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Bringing on Lapslie correlates terrifyingly well to the dropping of points. I had thought that Pratley was a similar culprit (well, Bowyer is the culprit really) but he wasn't - Lapslie, however, is a player who either starts or doesn't come on imo
    You what?
    There is a very high correlation between games Lapslie has come on in, and the scoreline turning against us consequent to that substitution. 
    I understood that bit, it was the Pratley part that threw me as he's almost always been a starter this season. Cant imagine you've seen anything in Lapslie that says he's worthy of a start so you're saying he shouldn't be in the team?
    I can see Lapslie playing the Gallagher/Davis headless chicken role from the start, but he's no sort of player to bring on whether chasing the game or defending a lead 
    Gallagher might have flown around the pitch and got stuck in but I wouldn't have called him a headless chicken..
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    McGeady has missed every shot in warm up. Smith has hit the target with every one. Including one beautifully in the top corner.
  • Options
    Luton have lost 14 out of 17 away games this season. They are completely beatable and are 23rd for a reason. We are employing the same formation we used to attack Barnsley from the off three weeks ago. Expect us to do the same today.
    I forgot we were Barcelonaesque that game. We played ok, nothing more, and were helped by a woeful Barnsley first half performance. Not happy with Cullen and Davis together. Was a disaster last week.
  • Options
    A quick tot up on the Prediction League thread has 22 predicting a win, 2 a draw and 1 a loss. Interestingly, I only noticed two expecting wins by more than one goal. Mixed messages there, I feel.
  • Options
    I really dislike the diamond. Leaves our full backs completely exposed, so I’m hoping is 3-5-2, but Cullen being given a license to play his football further up the pitch.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    In proper football format:

Charlton: Phillips; Lockyer, Oshilaja, Sarr; Matthews, Cullen, Oztumer, Davis, Doughty; Taylor, Green

Substitutes: Amos, Pearce, Smith, Lapslie, McGeady, Hemed, Bonne

You’re too modern for me, @“Oggy Red”, I still can’t cope with full backs in that row.
    Oh, I shouldn't worry about that, you know.

There's no fullbacks in a 3-5-2; there's no wingers either. No wonder we never seem to know what were doing. :smile:

• Options
    McGeady has missed every shot in warm up. Smith has hit the target with every one. Including one beautifully in the top corner.
    Smith’s luck must run out soon. Get McGeady shooting.
  • Options
    Is it too late to change my prediction ?
    It will still be grumpy.

• Options
    First rule today... Dont let Luton get the first goal (if any)

They've conceded 66 goals this season, dont know if Cardiff and Sheff Wed are simply on a bad run but two clean sheets says to me they're getting organised
  • Options

Quick, start Smith up front!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really hope its a 4-diamond 4 -2 formation. As I recall, we played 3-5-2 at Luton and it really didn't work.
    Could be. But how would we line up with it?         

Phillips
        Matthews Lockyer Sarr Doughty 
                                 Deji
                         Cullen Davis
                             Oztumer
                         Green Taylor
    Or

Phillips
             Matthews Lockyer Deji Sarr
                                 Davis
                         Cullen Doughty
                             Oztumer
                         Green Taylor

With this line up think I'd prefer

Phillips
             Matthews Lockyer Deji Sarr 
                                 Davis 
                         Cullen Oztumer
                    Green Taylor Doughty 

Though Sarr at left back scares me. 
  • Options
    Luton have lost 14 out of 17 away games this season. They are completely beatable and are 23rd for a reason. We are employing the same formation we used to attack Barnsley from the off three weeks ago. Expect us to do the same today.
    I forgot we were Barcelonaesque that game. We played ok, nothing more, and were helped by a woeful Barnsley first half performance. Not happy with Cullen and Davis together. Was a disaster last week.

The great thing about this is that we most likely only need to play to the level we did against Barnsley to beat these lot too. Luton are woeful away from home and a 1-0 win at Middlesbrough isn't going to convince me otherwise.
  • Options
    Couple of young entrepreneurs running a very tidy pick n mix operation on Lansdowne Lane. Will report on the contents of my fetchingly green-striped bag once I'm inside... 
  • Options
    I reckon I know what formation Karl Robinson would have picked for this game.  :smile:

Funnily enough, we've got just the right players for it in this squad.

• Options
    Charlton have alternated between victory and defeat in their past four league games, winning more across these four games than they had in their previous 17 in the Championship (W1 D6 L10).

Charlton striker Lyle Taylor has scored five goals in his past four appearances against Luton Town in all competitions, scoring twice for the Addicks last season at the Valley in League One.

Thanks to BBC
  • Options
    Oztumer in for Williams, Davis in for Pratley and Oshilaja in for Pearce (when comparing against the XI that started against Barnsley three weeks ago).

That's effectively the team (and formation) that went 2-0 up at half time against Barnsley. I'm expecting us to go at Luton in a similar fashion this afternoon.
    Can’t see Luton being anywhere near as shit as Barnsley were that first half. Then second half we were second best.
    Luton are going to be pumped up for this game and we've put out a defensive line up and the same midfield formation (just swapping Oztumer for McGeady) that was destroyed by Blackburn. I'm not confident.
    This. The overwhelming consensus last week was that a midfield of Cullen & Davis didnt work. It wont work this week either. And not playing Bonne who had got more goals in him than Green is also a mistake imo.

The wind will create more puff than our team. 

Andre Green - 1 goal every 204 minutes, 1 assist every 408 minutes
    Macauley Bonne - 1 goal every 189 minutes, 1 assist every 1512 minutes

Not going to argue the Cullen x Davis point because I'm yet to see them work well together but I am still hopeful it will come with minutes on the pitch together.
  • Options
    Izzy Brown is a major loss for them
    He made the difference against us Last time 
  • Options
    Williams in the dressing room.

Palace? He's pwopa Cholt'un now.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!