Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Charlton v Luton Sat 22 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Oztumer in for Williams, Davis in for Pratley and Oshilaja in for Pearce (when comparing against the XI that started against Barnsley three weeks ago).

That's effectively the team (and formation) that went 2-0 up at half time against Barnsley. I'm expecting us to go at Luton in a similar fashion this afternoon.
    Can’t see Luton being anywhere near as shit as Barnsley were that first half. Then second half we were second best.
    Barnsley were shit yes. No chance that we played well and made them look shit. :-)
  • Options
    Is Williams becoming a bit of a sick note?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oztumer in for Williams, Davis in for Pratley and Oshilaja in for Pearce (when comparing against the XI that started against Barnsley three weeks ago).

That's effectively the team (and formation) that went 2-0 up at half time against Barnsley. I'm expecting us to go at Luton in a similar fashion this afternoon.
    Can’t see Luton being anywhere near as shit as Barnsley were that first half. Then second half we were second best.
    Barnsley were sh*t first half because we didn't allow them to settle.

Second half we sat back too deep on a 2 goal cushion, lost momentum and handed them the initiative.

Spot on Oggy.

Hopefully if we find ourselves in a similar position today (fingers crossed), Bowyer will have learnt something from that experience and bring on the likes of McGeady and Bonne to hammer home any advantage.
  • Options
    We had to start with Lyle and Bonne.

Five at the back. Reliant on Oztuna for all creativity. 

Big message for Luton Town..we are afraid of losing.  
  • Options

Luton are going to be pumped up for this game and we've put out a defensive line up and the same midfield formation (just swapping Oztumer for McGeady) that was destroyed by Blackburn. I'm not confident.
  • Options
    Bonne did such a good job when Taylor was out, can’t see why we are not starting with him.

Probably not fully fit, plus we have another game midweek where he could play a part. 
  • Options
    5 in defence with Cullen and Davis is too negative for me, thought we'd have gone more attacking given Luton's defensive record. 
  • Options
    Lapslie on the bench ahead of say Morgan is a worrying sign for me. The only player he should replace is Davis, or Cullen at a push. Anything else and disaster looms
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Barnsley were sh*t first half because we didn't allow them to settle.

Second half we sat back too deep on a 2 goal cushion, lost momentum and handed them the initiative.

Barnsley were shit first half because they were completely devoid of any technique or tactics. They switched it up at HT and we couldn’t work it out. I don’t think I’ve seen a a technical performance as bad down the Valley as they were first half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We scored in the key moments v Barnsley. Then somehow came away with the win, despite them, hitting the woodwork 3 times and a wordly from Dills.
  • Options
    Barnsley were also shot of all confidence.  Luton are on a roll. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    We scored in the key moments v Barnsley. Then somehow came away with the win, despite them, hitting the woodwork 3 times and a wordly from Dills.
    Even in the first half we were average. The second half performance was awful.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Lapslie on the bench ahead of say Morgan is a worrying sign for me. The only player he should replace is Davis, or Cullen at a push. Anything else and disaster looms
    Lapslie is a useful sub to have when you want some energy and harrying in midfield

Personally I'd have Morgan on the bench instead of Smith ...
  • Options
    Luton have lost 14 out of 17 away games this season. They are completely beatable and are 23rd for a reason. We are employing the same formation we used to attack Barnsley from the off three weeks ago. Expect us to do the same today.
  • Options
    Bringing on Lapslie correlates terrifyingly well to the dropping of points. I had thought that Pratley was a similar culprit (well, Bowyer is the culprit really) but he wasn't - Lapslie, however, is a player who either starts or doesn't come on imo
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Bringing on Lapslie correlates terrifyingly well to the dropping of points. I had thought that Pratley was a similar culprit (well, Bowyer is the culprit really) but he wasn't - Lapslie, however, is a player who either starts or doesn't come on imo
    You what?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    ross1 said:
    For those who are confident: Luton have lost their last five away games in London and conceded at least three goals each game. You know we like to end this sort of run  :)

Scratch everything I've said - we are doomed. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nobody is saying that Davis is an upgrade on Pratley anymore?!
  • Options
    Internet finally hooked up after 2 weeks, finally able to watch again. Interesting shakeup in the lineup. As many have said, a MUST win
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    You what?
    There is a very high correlation between games Lapslie has come on in, and the scoreline turning against us consequent to that substitution. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Sage said:
    Too defensive for me. Shame really. Hope Bow gets them ready and a good performance results in a big 3 points. 
    Not sure if a team with Sarr, attacking wing backs in Matthews and Doughty, Oztumer and 2 strikers in Green and Taylor is too defensive but there we go
    Each to their own really. For me with Oshilaja starting as well, it’s more on the side of caution than attacking. Other than Pearce and Amos, everyone else is more attacking on the bench. Shame Aneke isn’t in the squad to be honest.
  • Options
    Still no Aneke anywhere?
  • Options

Luton are going to be pumped up for this game and we've put out a defensive line up and the same midfield formation (just swapping Oztumer for McGeady) that was destroyed by Blackburn. I'm not confident.
    This. The overwhelming consensus last week was that a midfield of Cullen & Davis didnt work. It wont work this week either. And not playing Bonne who had got more goals in him than Green is also a mistake imo.

The wind will create more puff than our team. 
  • Options
    Can’t get my head round that line up at all. Bizarre. 
    I can. I believe Bowyer is thinking we lacked possession and pace against Blackburn.

He's gone with 3 mobile CB's, therefore would expect to play a higher line.

Mathews to play a 'semi-fullback' further forward but to drop back to make it a back 4 when needed.

Davis is the ballwinner and pressing. Cullen, Oztumer and Taylor to hold up the ball and keep possession along the spine.
    Doughty to attack with pace from deep and overload the Luton fullback.

Green to run at pace on the counter and stretch their back line.

There's a strong bench too, either to sustain the starting gameplan or bring 'game changers' from the bench; McGeady to add flair, Bonne for goal threat, or Lapslie to press and close the game out.

Whether it's the right formation for the game, we shall see.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    You what?
    There is a very high correlation between games Lapslie has come on in, and the scoreline turning against us consequent to that substitution. 
    I understood that bit, it was the Pratley part that threw me as he's almost always been a starter this season. Cant imagine you've seen anything in Lapslie that says he's worthy of a start so you're saying he shouldn't be in the team?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!