Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Luton Sat 22 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    He is still learning but other than that he defended quite well I thought.
  • Options
    Davis got a lot of grief for his clearance attempt for their goal. It wasn't great, but in mitigation it was a clearance on the turn that he had to screw his body round to get away and didn't quite manage to pull it off. Far more important there though is where the hell was Doughty? When you watch is back he's absolutely nowhere, I'm not even sure he was still on this planet when they broke down our left. Considering it was 2 minutes after we'd scored and reset it's insane that he was so far out of position for that goal. Granted he's not a natural left back, but even for a player who's not as comfortable there, 'don't be in outer space' is a pretty standard positioning tip that most players should be comfortable with. Bonkers.
    It was a slick interchange, but probably the only time Doughty was bypassed in the whole game, and we still should have defended it comfortably 
  • Options

Any points deductions for Wednesday, Rooney County or Birmingham drag them right into a relegation battle.
    Anything over 10 points and they are in the bottom three. Makes Wednesday vs Wednesday look an even bigger game. With Boro, Hudds and Hull to come, it’s a huge run of fixtures for us. Bowyer’s is going to need to use his squad wisely to keep things fresh. 
  • Options
    Not a great game of football or performance, especially in the first half but with the wind behind us, Taylor hyped up by the Luton fans firing us up we won well.

We could have scored more from Green and Sarr but I had us to win 3-1 at 14/1 so no complaints.

Lapslie is underated by many but he gives us energy, fight and moves us forward.  Watch how he spins off to arrive in the six yard box to score.

Luton are big but not that good. Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield to come and expect hat harder games.

Still "only" five points clear but overtaking over sides is crucial.

• Options
    What a three points that was. We go to Wednesday on Wednesday, let’s hope we do it as they do attack.

Fantastic result today. Beat Barnsley. Beat Luton. Let’s keep going at home  
  • Options
    Two away games coming up against sides in poor form and we should target 4 points at least.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Stunning goal by Lyle and, despite one of theirs trying to put him off, a faultless penalty ... class
    Shame it wasn't at the other end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Any points deductions for Wednesday, Rooney County or Birmingham drag them right into a relegation battle.
    Which would be particularly welcome by those who put a £10 at 60-1 on us finishing in the top half.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    2785 travelling Luton today. Fair play to them for a bottom of the table clash. 
    They thought it was our 'Football for a Fiver' game.

Unlike Luton to be stuck in the past. 
  • Options
    Spankie said:
    Funniest thing happened from Sky Sports. Just before we were awarded the penalty they alerted me that George Lapslie had missed a penalty! Just glad it wasn't an omen. Not sure if anyone else got this?
    I got a 1-0 Luton alert about a minute before Lyle scored his first. 
  • Options
    Anyone know how many cards Luton got today? The scoreboard said 2 by the end - I swear they got a couple more than that. BBC claims 1 in total
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PWR. What a difference from last week. Oztumer showed why he should have started last week.
    Green didn't have the best of games but was still a million times better than Hemed.
    Alfie was back to his best.
    Naby was a leader at the back. 
    Lyle was Lyle. What a player he is and we must do whatever we can to keep him. 
    Finally, George Lapslie. Wow. His energy made a huge difference. Conor who??

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Just posting the highlights link:

https://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-luton/409748

A few observations:

1)  Superb ball from Ozzy to pick out Naby, who was so unlucky to brilliantly take it down and thunder his shot against the bar.

2) Lyle's 1st goal ...... thought I was watching Clive Mendonca there. Just what Super Clive used to do.

3) Luton goal ...... ouch, what sh*t defending. Acre's of space for a free run to the byleline, before Davis' showed what he'd learned at the Naby Sarr School of weak nothing clearances.

4) Green's chance: Ozzy again, collects the ball in his own half, advances - and then threads a killer pass to find Lyle lurking on the left wing. Quality, Ozzy. Quality.

5) Lapslie goal: brilliant pass and move from Lapslie. The lad not only played a key role in the build up, but after finding Bonne - he kept moving into the 6 yard box, anticipating the pass from Bonne. And his run and momentum ensured he was first to the ball. Bowyer will be so pleased with that.

Nice pass by Davis for Lyle's first goal, which partially makes up for his defensive error

Surprised the highlights don't show the disallowed Luton goal, that was a key moment in the match, as if we had gone 2-1 down, I think we would have struggled against a defensive Luton

Both Naby's shot and the penalty came from strange short corners, it was something we did a lot of today
  • Options
    Fucking get in, 3 points and just got home, opened the post and I’ve got over £4K coming for one of my PPI claims.
    That will pay for your penis enlargement 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

A few observations:

1)  Superb ball from Ozzy to pick out Naby, who was so unlucky to brilliantly take it down and thunder his shot against the bar.

2) Lyle's 1st goal ...... thought I was watching Clive Mendonca there. Just what Super Clive used to do.

3) Luton goal ...... ouch, what sh*t defending. Acre's of space for a free run to the byleline, before Davis' showed what he'd learned at the Naby Sarr School of weak nothing clearances.

4) Green's chance: Ozzy again, collects the ball in his own half, advances - and then threads a killer pass to find Lyle lurking on the left wing. Quality, Ozzy. Quality.

5) Lapslie goal: brilliant pass and move from Lapslie. The lad not only played a key role in the build up, but after finding Bonne - he kept moving into the 6 yard box, anticipating the pass from Bonne. And his run and momentum ensured he was first to the ball. Bowyer will be so pleased with that.

Nice pass by Davis for Lyle's first goal, which partially makes up for his defensive error

Surprised the highlights don't show the disallowed Luton goal, that was a key moment in the match, as if we had gone 2-1 down, I think we would have struggled against a defensive Luton

Both Naby's shot and the penalty came from strange short corners, it was something we did a lot of today
    Luton goal was onside, we got lucky

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

A few observations:

Think you’re being generous to Davis there. The pass was a little bit underhit and behind Taylor, it should’ve been angled further to the right where there was a lot of space for Taylor to run into. Thankfully Taylor was able to flick it in front of himself and still work. Shooting angle, but it was mostly his own work. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    shine166 said:
    Oggy Red said:

A few observations:

Can't judge by that picture as ball has already been kicked. And the attacker's upper body is leaning forward. But yes, apparently it was onside. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Oggy Red said:

A few observations:

May well have been but that angle isn't conclusive. He's leaning forward so his head could be offside, would need to see along the line. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    shine166 said:
    Oggy Red said:

A few observations:

May well have been but that angle isn't conclusive. He's leaning forward so his head could be offside, would need to see along the line. 
    Agreed... Looks onside but from the VAR decisions we've seen this season, that picture says nothing