Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheffield Wednesday v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 26 Feb | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Might be a silly question, but given the fact we're playing in Sheffield Wednesday night and Huddersfield Saturday, would the team stay up North for a couple of days rather than travelling back to London Wed night/Thurs morn then travelling back up Friday?
  • Options
    Might be a silly question, but given the fact we're playing in Sheffield Wednesday night and Huddersfield Saturday, would the team stay up North for a couple of days rather than travelling back to London Wed night/Thurs morn then travelling back up Friday?
    AirBnB is your friend.
  • Options
    The key now is to put together a run of games with decent results. A draw midweek and a win on saturday will be a very good return.
  • Options
    Great question ?
    Lovely stay in a 5 star hotel, over looking the new water features that Yorkshire has to offer. Massages, swimming and working on tactics for another 6 pointer in Huddersfield.

Ee By gum, will train spotters win ?  eck as like.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    The journey times are roughly 4 hours in a luxury, spacious coach. Hardly the hard life! 
  • Options
    Wigan are away to Reading and West Brom this week.

I'd like to think we can at least equal what their points return will be.
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday 6-0 Charlton Athletic. 

Phillips
    Matthews | Lockyer | Sarr | Doughty
    Davis
    Cullen | Lapslie 
    Oztumer
    Bonne | Taylor

Actual prediction 2-2
    Cullen and Bonne to score. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The exact line up I think we’ll see as per the preview.  

A good time to play them, we never do things the easy way so a loss against an out of form Wednesday would be so charlton.  

But I’m not having none of that, I think we’ll win 1-2, two up first half, they get one back but we ride the storm.  Goals from McGeady and Pearce.
  • Options
    I think LBs hands are tied because we are weak at the back so he feels he has to pick more defensive midfielders for extra cover. 

If we have Lyle, Bonne and Ozzy starting  we will score at least one and probably two.

With our five man defence playing in our own half we will concede at least one and probably two if that Fletcher bloke gets an airing.

• Options
    Sheffield Wednesday haven't scored a goal at Hillsborough this decade  :D (yes i'm fully aware this is the kiss of death)
  • Options
    Anything from this would be a bonus.

Agree in principle that Taylor and Bonne is our best pair probably but not convinced Bonne will start so soon after his long lay off. I think he'll be an impact sub once more. Hemed may even start given that he wasn't too bad at Forest apparently. Whether that was just by his standards or in general I cannot say as I wasn't there.
  • Options
    Anything will be a bonus from the crappiest team I have seen play this year? I watched their defeat at Luton. I am expecting us to beat them and Bowyer needs to prioritise the next game, not Saturday's game. 
  • Options
    "Anything from this would be a bonus".....is a statement already trying to reduce self-expectations. As mentioned, if Luton recently beat them and they're horribly out of form, we are not playing the same clinical team that were at the Valley.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Their best player, Fletcher is coming back from injury and not fully fit. He will probably be on the bench, Bannon, who is a very decent player is carrying an injury though playing through it. I thought they were powder puff v Luton and bereft of any ideas. I remember thinking, If they were Charlton I would be livid at that performance.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    "Anything from this would be a bonus".....is a statement already trying to reduce self-expectations. As mentioned, if Luton recently beat them and they're horribly out of form, we are not playing the same clinical team that were at the Valley.
    Their main striker has been injured, should make a return on Wednesday. That'll help them 
  • Options
    Yes Bowyer likes to freshen things up, and we have a number of players coming back from injury, but it slightly baffles me why so many of our player seem to struggle with playing full 90s, and midweek games as well.

Looking up Ollie Watkins for example, not only has he played every league game for Brentford this season, scoring 21 goals, in nearly all of them he played the full 90 too, the earliest he's gone off was in the 82nd minute. Indeed Brentford have 9 players who've played over 30 matches this season, when we have just 2 (Lockyer and Phillips)
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    I think to focus on one game or the other this week is a very dangerous approach. 

If we don't get it right then the points gap between us and the bottom three could have evaporated completely by Saturday evening. 

This is a huge week for all of the teams in the shakeup and two big performances from us could really change things in our favour. 

Likewise,  two poor results could leave us in trouble. 
    We're in a series of games where we should be targeting wins. Realistically we won't win them all, but none of them are the sorts of matches where we have anything to fear, or where we ought to be resting players for so called "easier" fixtures.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember, a win and a defeat from the next two games is three points. Two draws is two points. Just sayin.  
    Indeed a real positive of our recent run is that we are winning and losing, rather than just drawing
  • Options
    It is also a by product of being positive. I know we were not that against Stoke, but the point stands.
  • Options
    Nervy 1-0 win...Taylor or Mcgeady with a Jacko’esque freekick...
  • Options
    A point from Wednesday on Wednesday would make my Wednesday, 1-1.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sheffield Wednesday 6-0 Charlton Athletic. 

Phillips
    Matthews | Lockyer | Sarr | Doughty
    Davis
    Cullen | Lapslie 
    Oztumer
    Bonne | Taylor

Actual prediction 2-2
    Cullen and Bonne to score. 
    This would probably be my starting line up although got a sneaking feeling we could win this 
  • Options
    The only way I see us losing is if we try to avoid defeat. We need to give them no encouragement. 
  • Options
    Interesting to see that Wednesday have only beaten us three times at Hillsborough since 1998

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to_head.sd?team_id=527&team2_id=2330
  • Options
    Just realised that I’ll be taking off from a Mumbai airport at half time. Still, if we’re four up, I won’t be too worried.