Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hypothetical relegation/takeover question

Just out of interest... 

12 months ago would you have taken promotion and resulting takeover, - but we get relegated again just to get rid of RD? 

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I’d have to agree, relegation would be frustrating after last years hard work but getting rid of Roland was huge. Just hope there’s 3 teams lower than us when the season ends 
  • Options
    Yes. It's better than staying in the third division for the fourth consecutive year (longest in our history) with the worst owner we've had in years. 
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    I would have, yes.
  • Options
    Can I borrow hypothetical for the word game?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCDB said:
    Just out of interest... 

12 months ago would you have taken promotion and resulting takeover, - but we get relegated again just to get rid of RD? 
    Yes. Life isn't as short as some make out and as clubs like Sheffield and Leicester have proven, it doesn't take long to be right back up there. 
  • Options
    No. Success on the pitch outweighs all for me. We don’t yet have any proof that ESI have the funds to get us straight back up in one year

This would be the most needless relegation.
  • Options
    No. Success on the pitch outweighs all for me. We don’t yet have any proof that ESI have the funds to get us straight back up in one year
    That's not the question though is it.
  • Options
    As soon as I saw the word "hypothetical" in the thread title I just knew that it had been started by  Chizz CAFCDB. So I am now fully prepared to answer his next question which is, of course, "what makes you say that?"

For the record, the answer is "yes"
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    It kind of is though. Because 12 months ago we had a half decent shot at promotion under Roland. So if we go down, we are not in a better position on the pitch than in February 2019. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    It kind of is though. Because 12 months ago we had a half decent shot at promotion under Roland. So if we go down, we are not in a better position on the pitch than in February 2019. 
    The question was: 

The question was answered in Damo's non-bold bit, the addition then changes the ask.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    The question was: 

The question was answered in Damo's non-bold bit, the addition then changes the ask.
    My answer then should have been no because there is no guarantee any new owner will have better capability to take us back up than Roland. We could be stuck there for 3-4 year at least with no prospect of going up. Even under Roland we built a strong league one side and came up....

why go down and take uncertainty as to whether we will be capable of building a promotion team.

We need to stay in the championship .

my priority is championship with our new owner spending realistic championship levels of money on the team 
  • Options
    No
    this .. IF we go straight back down ESI will be off so fast they'll kick up a sandstorm behind them .. Duchatelet will still own the real estate, we'll lose the few players of real quality we have and have just a slim chance of getting out of L1 at the first try .. I'll hold out on saying we have jumped from frying pan to fire until this season is done, only then will we see.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    The question was: 

My answer then should have been no because there is no guarantee any new owner will have better capability to take us back up than Roland. We could be stuck there for 3-4 year at least with no prospect of going up. Even under Roland we built a strong league one side and came up....
    ..... after  3 seasons in League One under The Helmets ownership
  • Options
    Yes, 100%
  • Options
    No

And we have not got rid of Roland have we, he still owns the heart and sole of the club 
    The heart and soul of the club is something he has never owned.
    Maybe I am looking at from a different angle to some people. The heart & sole of the club to me is The Valley and always will be. Whilst I appreciate the fans make up a lot of it and Roland has never owned "us" The Valley is what makes me tick.

I have watched thousands of games at The Valley and loved each one whether it was in front of a full house or 5k of us huddled on the East Terrace in the rain. The fact of the matter was, and still is The Valley is Charlton and as things stand Roland owns it.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    The question was: 

Which is the same question which was asked last year, would you accept staying in League 1 to get rid of Roland. 

Obviously we can be greedy now because we already have the promotion, we don't have Roland and we have a fighting chance of staying in the division.