Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hypothetical relegation/takeover question

13»

Comments

• Options
    I think if I’d been asked this question last year I’d have said yes, but now that we are in the championship, the prospect of league 1 again and an ownership that has serious questions to answer makes me think no. The heroic effort in getting promoted will be for nothing if we just return immediately. The poor quality squad is a Roland legacy but ESI so far have been nothing but piss and wind. Relegation would feel like an act of neglect. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    The hypothetical question was accepting relegation to get rid of Roland  and my answer was no z I would not accept that exchange. So no I am not happy with what had happend since January from new owners. 
    I honestly don’t really feel like Roland has actually gone all the while he owns our home. 
  • Options
    Not really - would the transfer window been any different if Roland was still here?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Not really - would the transfer window been any different if Roland was still here?
    In the last transfer window of the Roland regime we signed:

Conor Gallagher  (loan)
    Sam Field  (loan)
    Jonathan Leko  (loan)
    Beram Kayal  (loan)
    Chuks Aneke (perm)
    Macauley Bonne  (perm)
    Tom Lockyer  (perm)
    Ben Purrington  (perm)
    Ben Amos  (perm)
    Johnny Williams  (perm)
    Deji Oshilaja  (perm)
    Erhun Oztumer  (perm)
    Tomer Hemed  (perm)

In ESI’s first transfer window, which they prioritised over the purchase of the Valley and (we are told) had significant time to prepare for, we lost Conor Gallagher and signed:

Andre Green  (loan)
    Aiden McGeady  (loan)
    Matthew Smith  (loan)
    David Davis (loan)

I hate/hated Roland, and I’m glad he’s sort of gone, but let’s not re-write history. The new owners should be held to the same standards that we held Roland (and he was found wanting). Any less than that and we aren’t fulfilling our role as the true stakeholders in this football club.
  • Options
    Can’t really compare the 2 transfer windows, in the summer we had lots of outgoings that needed replacing and you have 2+ months to bring players in without the staff focusing on fixtures as well. Prices are inflated in January and there is 0 evidence to support that spending in January guarantees success otherwise everyone would do it. Signings in January are also largely dependent on if the club you are buying from have replacements they can bring in. its not as simple as football manager. Let’s not forget in the last 2 transfer windows under Roland we lost Grant and Aribo for way under market value that went straight into Rolands pocket. (I know aribo went on a free but im counting the development fee). In January we kept our best players (Gallagher exception but that’s on Chelsea) and already triggered an extension on doughty who is the next star from our academy, something Roland always failed to do. We might have signed fewer than expected but we also kept hold of everyone we could- something you could never guarantee under Roland 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Conor Gallagher  (loan)
    Sam Field  (loan)
    Jonathan Leko  (loan)
    Beram Kayal  (loan)
    Chuks Aneke (perm)
    Macauley Bonne  (perm)
    Tom Lockyer  (perm)
    Ben Purrington  (perm)
    Ben Amos  (perm)
    Johnny Williams  (perm)
    Deji Oshilaja  (perm)
    Erhun Oztumer  (perm)
    Tomer Hemed  (perm)

In ESI’s first transfer window, which they prioritised over the purchase of the Valley and (we are told) had significant time to prepare for, we lost Conor Gallagher and signed:

Andre Green  (loan)
    Aiden McGeady  (loan)
    Matthew Smith  (loan)
    David Davis (loan)

I hate/hated Roland, and I’m glad he’s sort of gone, but let’s not re-write history. The new owners should be held to the same standards that we held Roland (and he was found wanting). Any less than that and we aren’t fulfilling our role as the true stakeholders in this football club.
    I agree that that the new owners should be held to the same standards as Roland. However the close season and the January transfer cannot be directly compared. Firstly, the close season is about three of four times longer. it is also the time that most player’s contracts run out. The effect is is that there are far more players to chose from and often at a lesser price.

The loss of Gallagher was totally beyond ESI’s control as his loan arrangement, including the get-out clause was negotiated under Roland’s regime.

Roland had Bowyer on a one year contract, and very nearly lost him last summer. The new regime have given him a three year contract.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Conor Gallagher  (loan)
    Sam Field  (loan)
    Jonathan Leko  (loan)
    Beram Kayal  (loan)
    Chuks Aneke (perm)
    Macauley Bonne  (perm)
    Tom Lockyer  (perm)
    Ben Purrington  (perm)
    Ben Amos  (perm)
    Johnny Williams  (perm)
    Deji Oshilaja  (perm)
    Erhun Oztumer  (perm)
    Tomer Hemed  (perm)

Andre Green  (loan)
    Aiden McGeady  (loan)
    Matthew Smith  (loan)
    David Davis (loan)

100% in agreement.

The Belgian Experiment didn't fail due to a lack of funds. It failed due to a complete waste of the resources spent and a failure to maximise revenue by getting value through the youth prospects we sold at a fraction of their true worth.

Alienating the fan base by insulting them didn't help either.

Whereas we've got nothing by promises and platitudes from ESI so far with no evidence to back it.

Roland - Plenty of trousers but pissing in his own pants in terms of wasting money and alienating fans.

ESI - Plenty of mouth but all seems a bit "Emperors New Clothes" in terms of substance.

• Options
    Yes. 

And, if you'd prefer a longer, more detailed answer, it's this: yes, of course. 
  • Options
    CAFCDB said:
    Just out of interest... 

12 months ago would you have taken promotion and resulting takeover, - but we get relegated again just to get rid of RD? 
    I fear this is a false choice, because the partial nature of the takeover means relegation could result in worse than returning to League 1 for a year or two.

What really concerns me is how much financial commitment has ESI made to CAFC so far?
    If it is only a nominal amount (say £1 for the sake of argument) to buy the club and the running costs for half a season, if we do get relegated what is there to prevent ESI deciding to cut their losses, put the club into administration, and walking away?

I would feel a lot happier if I knew the freeholds agreement with Staprix somehow tied ESI in financially, but if - as appears - contracts were not exchanged for the freeholds as due diligence had not been completed, I do not see how that is possible. 
    All the talk about the plans for the training ground is just that - talk - unless and until ESI own it.  And if the club ceased to exist, RD would be only too delighted to have a major hurdle removed to redevelopment of The Valley for housing, etc.

I guess all will become clearer at the end of the season, but the coming 4 months could feel as long as the preceding 4 years!