Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2020-21 UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Options
    Rubbish performance from Scotland tonight. Had about 100 corners that we should have done better with, probably should have had a penalty right at the end.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Scotland lost 1-0 in Israel, handing Czech Republic promotion back to League A

The irony is I imagine that the 2022-23 Nations League will no doubt revert to the same format we saw ahead of Qualification for Euro 2020

So had Scotland reached League A themselves they'd have surely increased their chances of qualification for Euro 2024

According to this dude Scotland are better not getting promoted to Tier A.
    Wouldnt say Wales, Hungary, Czech Republic, Ukraine are all likely to finish top 2 in their WC Qualifying groups.

There is a chance but I wouldn't pin my hopes on that if I was Scottish lol
  • Options
    se9addick said:

The irony is I imagine that the 2022-23 Nations League will no doubt revert to the same format we saw ahead of Qualification for Euro 2020

So had Scotland reached League A themselves they'd have surely increased their chances of qualification for Euro 2024

Wouldnt say Wales, Hungary, Czech Republic, Ukraine are all likely to finish top 2 in their WC Qualifying groups.

To be honest the Nations League stuff confuses me.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Same. Obviously the promotion and relegation between tiers is easy but how it all affects future tournament qualification is a minefield.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

I think it is becoming clearer. There are issues about it being played in these difficult times, but what it offers is a replacement for friendlies that are a bit more competitive and a way that these games are at a level in line with the team's ability. In theory there shouldn't be more games played and the fact that England have had recent genuine friendlies against Wales and Ireland ought to back this up.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

I think it is becoming clearer. There are issues about it being played in these difficult times, but what it offers is a replacement for friendlies that are a bit more competitive and a way that these games are at a level in line with the team's ability. In theory there shouldn't be more games played and the fact that England have had recent genuine friendlies against Wales and Ireland ought to back this up.
    Oh not the rationale for the tournament, I get that. More what happens if you win your group. For the Euros winning your group means you go into a playoff for a spot at the tournament but I don’t think that’s the same for the competition that finished last night ahead of the 2022 World Cup?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Well these things evolve, but I don't see how more games should be played than normal and whilst they are certainly far from being as important as a major tournament, they are a bit more competitive. I think it is a good development.

I think the Euro place element was to give the competition a push start. I could see that going if/when it gets fully established.
  • Options
    In terms of playoff spots for World Cup/Euros the situation and different outcomes have for sure been mudded by Euro2020 being delayed as well as planning for a winter World Cup.
    I imagine when a regular 2year cycle gets us back to normal it will be a lot easier to understand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    It also means teams like Malta Andorra Luxembourg etc get to play actual competitive games against similar standard countries rather than being thrashed every game in the euro/World Cup groups. 
    Lithuania are a great example too.
    They got 8 points from their 6 games (2 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats) which is the best run of results they've ever had.
    After beating Albania the team were front page news in Lithuania, not just the sports papers either!
  • Options
    This UEFA league  is a pointless competition that bites into the domestic season even more. It is more useless than the EFL competition . While this silliness goes on our own great FA Cup is gradually reduced. 

It is chasing money like the  cricket circus with endless pointless international tournaments that detract from the real tests and end up with the best players never playing for their counties which then lessens the domestic competition. 

Personally I couldn't  give a fig about this extra nuisance. 
    Except the games have replaced international friendlies, they are not “extra matches” instead they have replaced the usual nuisance with meaningful competitive fixtures.
    I don't  think there is that many friendlies and in any case there are TOO MANY INTERNATIONAL GAMES TO BEGIN WITH. I am interested in my local team , not international games ,especially where such international games are on pay per viewer subscription type TV. 

Also the Premiershit has shrunk its league to accommodate things like the The Champions League where contenders don't  even need to be Champions and in many cases even when they are such teams are barely National League  standard. It is actually harder  to win the Europa League,  yet a another knockout comp in a BLEEDIN' LEAGUE FORMAT. How many pointless other leagues do you want ?

And breathe....

The premier league hasn't changed to accomodate the champions league, what are you on about?  They haven't altered the format for Champions league either in years other than no 2nd leg during lockdown 

We used to have around 2 friendlies most months, it does feel slightly more now but at least they are more competitive and have purpose. 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    It also means teams like Malta Andorra Luxembourg etc get to play actual competitive games against similar standard countries rather than being thrashed every game in the euro/World Cup groups. 
    You don't  improve playing teams of a similar  standard...anyway such principalituesxas San Marino etc having a separate team on the international  stage is a joke....England v Andorra ia a yawn .
    You don't improve playing teams of a similar standard?
    So what do the likes of Malta and Andorra gain from being spanked by Italy and Germany every year?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Yes it is clearer it is just another pointless layer of international games. How long before clubs complain of players worn out by international games or even not available  because  of them?
    This point is actually fair, due to COVID they should have found a way to fastrack the system with less games. At the moment players are already playing more than ever and its ridiculous. 

I am not a fan of international break and also came right when we were on a good run so would have preferred we play our game rather than catch up at another point. There are certainly alot of negatives with the international break and this current format but that wasn't really highlighted in your previous post. 
  • Options
    The Premier League has been shrunk to accommodate the Champions League???

I think you've had a bang on the head.

What are the concussion protocols for using an internet forum?
  • Options
    This UEFA league  is a pointless competition that bites into the domestic season even more. It is more useless than the EFL competition . While this silliness goes on our own great FA Cup is gradually reduced. 

It is chasing money like the  cricket circus with endless pointless international tournaments that detract from the real tests and end up with the best players never playing for their counties which then lessens the domestic competition. 

Personally I couldn't  give a fig about this extra nuisance. 
    Except the games have replaced international friendlies, they are not “extra matches” instead they have replaced the usual nuisance with meaningful competitive fixtures.
    I don't  think there is that many friendlies and in any case there are TOO MANY INTERNATIONAL GAMES TO BEGIN WITH. I am interested in my local team , not international games ,especially where such international games are on pay per viewer subscription type TV. 

Also the Premiershit has shrunk its league to accommodate things like the The Champions League where contenders don't  even need to be Champions and in many cases even when they are such teams are barely National League  standard. It is actually harder  to win the Europa League,  yet a another knockout comp in a BLEEDIN' LEAGUE FORMAT. How many pointless other leagues do you want ?

'I DONT LIKE SOMETHING SO NOBODY ELSE SHOULD EITHER!!!!'
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    You don't  improve playing teams of a similar  standard...anyway such principalituesxas San Marino etc having a separate team on the international  stage is a joke....England v Andorra ia a yawn .
    But you are moaning about the nations league then saying England v Andorra yawn.

The nations league has stopped things like that, England played Belgium, Denmark and Iceland.

Look at Gibraltar for instance, 8 points from their 4 games and are promoted, yes their will probably get relegated next time around, but their players and fans will be so happy right now.

There used to be 2 international friendlies every international break now there are 2 Nation League games I dont see the issue.

The only reason there were 3 games these last 2 breaks is because countries like Scotland had a Euro Qualifying round to play and Uefa tought it was fair for the other countries to play 3 games as well then, rather then having a rest before the Nations League games whilst some countries had to play a qualify.

Had we not been in a global pandemic and Euros were last summer there would only have been 2 games like normal 
  • Options
    You’re absolutely right Paulie however you’re wasting your time mate. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the bloke post something factually correct. 
  • Options
    Italy v Spain in the first semi final tonight. 
    Belgium v France tomorrow. 

If the Euros had been held in 2020 this would have been the highlight of the summer. 

The final and 3rd place playoff both take place on Sunday. 

There’s potential for 4 cracking games here. 
  • Options
    Italy 0-1 Spain
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ooopsie daisee... Italy down to ten men, looks bloody harsh though
  • Options
    Gavi is Spain’s youngest ever player. 

Debut after 7 games for Barca 
  • Options
    Italy 0-2 Spain ... That unbeaten run is coming to an end
  • Options
    What a talent Chiesa is, admittedly not had much of the game tonight.
    Spain in control but I just love watching him play, he is such a threat and always so direct when he gets the ball.
  • Options
    De Bruyne pulling the strings as Belgium lead France 2-0 at half time
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    France pull one back through Benzema. And now they’re on top. Good game.
  • Options
    Never a pen.

• Options
    Never a pen.

Was 100% a pen
  • Options
    Hernandez with what looks to be the winner for France