Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield v Charlton | Sat 29 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Despite having a first class goalkeeper, I suspect our poor defence and its lack of pace is key to Bowyer's thinking . Because Bowyer has no confidence in it, we play five at the back and two holding midfielders who end up playing very deep as auxiliary defenders. Pearce is a great battler and ball winner but so slow he has to revert to wrestling if someone takes him on, so we have seven outfield players all playing in our defensive third. I have also noticed we don't even push out very promptly when we win possession, so the ball just keeps pinging back.

This will be particularly relevant with Karlan Grant on the pitch.

The tragedy is that our best three players on the field are usually our front three and they rarely see the ball unless as it passes over their heads from a hopeful lob over the top.

With Naby and Doughty (or JFC) (and maybe Pratley as a defender) a back five makes some sort of sense.

Without Naby or Lockyer or Pratley I think we may get tonked this afternoon unless we play higher up the pitch and get our best three players involved in the game.  I'm not even sure we can field five decent defenders at the moment.

2-0  Huddersfield.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Something I've never seen before - the Environment Agency has a flood alert out for groundwater flooding for SE London at the moment. (see https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/warnings for map)

Looks as though it will currently affect those near our stripy neighbours more than us at present, but I know some Addicks live in enemy territory and I hope you keep your feet dry. Does not sound as though there is a risk to the pitch at The Valley at the moment, but I guess the new drainage at Sparrows could be tested.

Groundwater flooding in South East London 
    Flooding is possible - be prepared

Groundwater levels in East Surrey and South London have been rising throughout the winter following higher than average rainfall. Since mid-February, levels have increased rapidly in response to rainfall received during Storms Ciara and Dennis. We expect properties with deep basements in Dale Road and Godstone Road in Purley will start flooding imminently. However, due to the nature of groundwater flooding, other properties may also experience flooding too. The Caterham Bourne between Woldingham and Purley is now flowing but remains in channel and is not currently increasing flood risk. Further rainfall could cause groundwater levels to rise further. The Environment Agency is monitoring the situation alongside Surrey County Council, Tandridge District Council and the London Borough of Croydon. We will update this message by Tuesday 3 March, or sooner if the situation changes.

This information was last updated at 1:46pm Tuesday 25 February 2020
  • Options
    If you look how an ultra defensive team have to play, you could do worse than watching Olympiakos on Thursday. The way they played they were going to have Arsenal keep coming at them, but they pressed with composure in the danger areas. When Arsenal did get into positions they cleared reliably. When they got the ball, they broke quickly with players busting a gut to get forwards forcing Arsenal to be wary of this.

Now look at us. Whan we play deep and under pressure, probably one in four clearances is terrible with mis-control of a simple ball, falling over, mis-communication etc...When this happens you are not properly set and it gives the opposition a better chance of breaking you down. When we do get the ball forwards, the player with the ball is not supported. They have to have the ball too long before they have any support so usually they are crowded out. 

When we do attack, most of our players are thinking of their defensive duties and about getting back. Opponents feel safe. When that happens, they actually commit more offensively. If you are a team like Wednesday, I can't think of a better team to play if your confidence is zero than us.

What you see when we play that way is the opposition finding a point in our half where they build the attack from. I mean an area where they can get the ball without any challenge. I call it a base camp. Ideally you want that base camp to be well in their own half, but we allow it to be built well into ours. 

Bowyer has to stop playing like this away from home. He has to stop it now. Chris Wilder has said the secret of his success is that he doesn't care about losing and in the Championships a lot of managers are too scared of it. I think Bowyer has got himself in this way of thinking. Probably because he fears the division a tiny bit, but mostly because of the injury crisis which has taken its toll. Anyway, he needs to snap out of it and today is a great opportunity to do that. 
  • Options
    I can see both sides, but I think we need to try to set up the side as offensively as possible and Aneke would be worth a try.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Watching this one with my Huddersfield supporting mate. Absolutely shitting the bed with nerves before this one
    You have a Huddersfield supporting mate in the US?! 
  • Options
    If we lose this even the ultra optimists will have to admit we are in massive massive trouble. 

We simply have to win 
  • Options
    We both have identical records in the league, really need to win but I don't have any confidence that we will 
  • Options
    @Pedro45 you're up...

Got a draw written all over it this one for me. 
  • Options
    It has to be 4-4-2 and we have to go for it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Pedro45 you're up...

Brilliant rant from the Huddersfield fan comment. 
  • Options
    the players, with a few exceptions, look nervous and under pressure .. well, they ARE under pressure and need to buck up .. there seems to be a pattern to our performances, one good one, one bad one, look at our last few games .. after Wednesday's poor effort, it's time for a good one ..

Huddersfield Town 1 v CAFC 1
  • Options
    The reason we defend so deep is Pearce, and his lack of pass.  If Grant (or almost anyone) gets behind him he is toast and he knows it.

Fletcher should have been meat and drink to him.  

Yes out tactics were too negative on Wednesday night but if people cant see the problems Pearce causes there is no helping them.  A lot of the goals, especially the late ones are a direct result of Pearce being too deep and so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. 
  • Options
    3-2 to Charlton, with McGeady netting winner
  • Options
    Up until Wednesday, despite my pessimist nature, I had an innate belief that "Bowyer will find a way".
    Wednesday nights showing shattered that belief and I came away thinking sh*t we are in trouble here.
    It's not the first time we have put in a bad performance, but this time I have lost belief that we will do enough to secure our Championship status.
    We have most of our injured back and the additions from January, but what we can't retrieve from our early season form is the momentum and belief we carried over from last season.
    On top of that we are missing 2 players essential to our chances; Gallagher (for good) and Williams (for God knows what).
    Bowyer's has something about him and he has surprised me on occasions before now, but I now live in hope more than expectation.
    Surprise me again please Lee
  • Options
    Regarding Aneke, some opposition will suit him far better than others and this is one I feel he would be able to really pose a threat in. He’s shown in glimpses that he is a good player, so there’s no reason why he can’t do that again when given the opportunity. I hope that’s today.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I’m not getting the clamour for Aneke who has shown zilch in the few occasions he’s worn the shirt. If we set up correctly and go for it this game is there for the taking although our lack of options in defence scares me. Crucial game. Lose and we go into three more crucial games on a real downer. 2-0 udders. Grant to score. Meltdown on here. 
    He was ace in the game at Reading. And when he’s come on as sub he’s always looked a handful. 
    yep, agree with that, he was superb at Reading, really terrorised their defence. at his best he has such quick feet and is very strong
  • Options
    It’s win or bust. We don’t usually win these types of games and after the tactics from Wednesday I’m not hopeful today
  • Options
    Wigan, Luton and Barnsley seem to have been set free over the last few weeks. Perhaps it was the ‘all or nothing’ nature of their situations, with draws not being enough to drag them out of the relegation spots, that has led to their revivals. 
    We, on the other hand, are seemingly more concerned with not losing, certainly away from home, and that can lead to a negative mindset. 
    Somehow we need to set ourselves free, hopefully before we reach the depths of the drop zone. 
  • Options
    I'd stick Doughty on Grant and tell him to follow him everywhere even into the toilet.

He's the one player with the pace to curtail him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Am late to this.

Hope Naby and Jonny are fit but we will see.

Hopefully we go with the diamond but wouldn't mind a 4231 either.

Should stick with Bonne and Taylor up top. That is the pairing that will get us the most goals so we have to stick to it. Ozzy to start with Jonny hopefully on the bench. Lapslie needs to make his return to the starting 11. Alfie has looked like hes needed a rest fir some time now. Hope to see Aneke off the bench. 

Bonne Taylor
    Oztumer
    Lapslie Cullen
    Davis
    Purrington Sarr Oshilaja Matthews
    Phillips

Aneke Williams McGeady Smith Solly Pearce Amos 

4231 could be

Taylor
    Doughty/McGeady Ozzy Green
    Davis Cullen 
    Purrington Sarr Oshilaja Matthew's
    Phillips

I dont want to see 3 at the back. The only times it's really worked this season are when it's been Pratley dropping into the back 3 (or dropping to the bench) and a midfield 3 of Cullen, Gallagher, William's. A back 3 plus having a Pratley/Davis player in midfield doesn't work.

Having said all that it's less about formations and more about intent. We need to be brave, be aggressive and really get at them early and high up the pitch. Lapslie is essential to making this work. Him and Cullen need to be higher up the pitch and work their arses off covering ground and pushing them back. 

3-1 charlton and the hunt for the playoffs is back on. Ozzy Bonne and Taylor. 
  • Options
    I'm not gonna watch a stream or anything if this game. Gonna try and switch off and just dip in and out to the match thread/Twitter. Hopefully that will help us.
  • Options
    @Pedro45 you're up...

Brilliant rant from the Huddersfield fan comment. 
    I was reading through them this morning and it seemed that almost everyone commenting had the hump with their team. More than usual anyway. 

The journo seems to have given up looking elsewhere for Addick's related comment. Maybe we should have a sweep on who it will be next week? Or a competition on who can get the most outrageous comment printed or something...
  • Options
    Think this will be the first time we have seen Oshilaja in his first choice position of RCB.
     Be interesting to see how he gets on.
  • Options
    Think this will be the first time we have seen Oshilaja in his first choice position of RCB.
    He played there once with Sarr didn't he? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The reason we defend so deep is Pearce, and his lack of pass.  If Grant (or almost anyone) gets behind him he is toast and he knows it.

Fletcher should have been meat and drink to him.  

Yes out tactics were too negative on Wednesday night but if people cant see the problems Pearce causes there is no helping them.  A lot of the goals, especially the late ones are a direct result of Pearce being too deep and so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. 
    I'd like to see a stat on goals conceded comparing when Pearce is and isn't playing 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Watching this one with my Huddersfield supporting mate. Absolutely shitting the bed with nerves before this one
    Shockingly yes. He actually took the time to make an informed decision about the team he wanted to support instead of picking a top 6 Prem side like every other person in our friend group. Couldnt be prouder of him really lol
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Talal said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Shockingly yes. He actually took the time to make an informed decision about the team he wanted to support instead of picking a top 6 Prem side like every other person in our friend group. Couldnt be prouder of him really lol
    Well that is a left field choice but fair play to him. Bet he chose them during their twelve thousand game unbeaten run 😉
  • Options
    Righty ho.  I’ve given myself a stern talking to. Wednesday is history and the sun’s just come out. Enough of all this whinging. There’s a game to be won  COYR!!   
  • Options
    Talal said:
    He played there once with Sarr didn't he? 
    Only time I can remember is in a much weakened side in the cup.