Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Todorov - How do we play him ?

Iwelumo and Varney will start if fit ? I think Toddy will be used at home when we should be pressing the game and will rarely be seen away from the Valley unless we are chasing a goal. I think its mostly a super sub role for Toddy except for loss of form or injury to the other two. What say you. We won`t sign any more front men either !

Comments

• Options
    In the reserves sounds a good option ...
  • Options
    His goal scoring record , for me , says Pardew has a nice headache. 3 new strikers all scored lots of goals recently a manager's dream surely. Todorov has been injured a lot so he may well start on the bench but depends how he looks in pre season and trainig.
  • Options
    Well at least we will get a partial insight at Welling next week - I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]His goal scoring record , for me , says Pardew has a nice headache. 3 new strikers all scored lots of goals recently a manager's dream surely. Todorov has been injured a lot so he may well start on the bench but depends how he looks in pre season and trainig.

Sorry??? Hold on. Lets evaluate our attacking options ...

Varney - Never scored goals higher than league one. Reserve player for Crewe at this level.
    Iwelumo - 1 good season at Colchester. A flop everywhere else (A poor mans Akinbiyi)
    Todorov - Injury Prone. Not a natural scorer. Offers little to the team.
    Marcus Bent - Need I say more. Possibly our top striker next year.
    Dickson - Never played higher than Pontins reserve league.

We're here for a while.
  • Options
    Todorov scored 33 goals in 55 appearances for Portsmouth - not bad for an unnatural goalscorer.

Varney socred goals season before last for Crewe in this division wanted by other teams he WILL score goals I am certain of that.

dickson - sorry never mentioned him as don't see him getting anywhere near the first team unless we get an injury crisis.

Iwelumo - yeah maybe but he's still proved he can score goals at that level and for a team not fancied.

Fucking negativity is driving me bonkers - I am not coming back on here today as I will post something I regret.

You're all ignorant Premier League fans who probably never even seen any of these players play yet insist they are nto good enough.

Granted I haven't seen them in the flesh but watch a lot of CCC and football league stuff last season and these are good signings (dickson apart).

I am happy with the signings so NER
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]His goal scoring record , for me , says Pardew has a nice headache. 3 new strikers all scored lots of goals recently a manager's dream surely. Todorov has been injured a lot so he may well start on the bench but depends how he looks in pre season and trainig.

Sorry??? Hold on. Lets evaluate our attacking options ...

Varney - Never scored goals higher than league one. Reserve player for Crewe at this level.
    Iwelumo - 1 good season at Colchester. A flop everywhere else (A poor mans Akinbiyi)

We're here for a while.

did you know that Fulham are doing really good deals on season tickets and you'll be able to see all the top Prem stars.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]

We're here for a while.

Varney is how old? Has played at this level but in a relegated side. Young fast and can finish

Todorov not a natural goal scorer. Scored 26 odd goals for Pompey in this league. Injury is a worry

Iwelumo - has had two consecutive good seasons for Colchester. A big target man

Marcus Bent -

Dickson - will be surprised if he isn't out on loan to get experience

The transfer window - closed, no more player can be bought or sold, no loans, nothing. : - (
  • Options
    Who do you suggest we bought then?- Nugent, Defoe and torres... We're gettin Sahar on loan, will an international striker cheer you up?!

Some of your rational can be applied to every other player in the league, while i'm impressed that you think that 30 odd goals in 50 games is not a natural scorer :-)

Sharp - Sold and rebought by Sheff Utd never scored goals higher than div 1 (same as Varney)
    Eastwood - Most of his goals in lower divisions plus one good season in CCC (same as Iwelumo)
    Ellington - Spent a chunk of last season injured (same as Todorov except he's never scored as amny goals in a season)

So who is there left?!
  • Options
    So because I look at things with a little more realism, I'm a premier league fan??? Some people need an injection of reality.

Todorov scored 26 goals at this level, prior to injuries kicking in.

Varney averages a goal every 7 games at this level. Hardly prolific? At 25 years old, he's not exactly youthful either.

Transfer window is yet to shut. Eastwood, Sharp, Sheringham and Earnshaw have all been missed out on. So who else is going to come in? Wheres our 20 goal a season man to put us in the play offs.

I'll settle for 21st next year at the moment, bearing in mind what Sheffield Wednesday, Forest, Leeds, Wimbledon and Bradford have all gone through since relegation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]So because I look at things with a little more realism, I'm a premier league fan??? Some people need an injection of reality.

Todorov scored 26 goals at this level, prior to injuries kicking in.

Varney averages a goal every 7 games at this level. Hardly prolific? At 25 years old, he's not exactly youthful either.

Transfer window is yet to shut. Eastwood, Sharp, Sheringham and Earnshaw have all been missed out on. So who else is going to come in? Wheres our 20 goal a season man to put us in the play offs.

I'll settle for 21st next year at the moment, bearing in mind what Sheffield Wednesday, Forest, Leeds, Wimbledon and Bradford have all gone through since relegation.

i think you're on a wind up but good luck to you and have a nice day!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think our new front line looks exiting. Pards seems to be putting emphisis on players who know where the net is. We should by the look of things be playing some attack minded football. Great I say. Get midfield sorted and we are on a roll methinks !
  • Options
    Alright. The last comment was probably made a bit out of spite and frustration.

Our strikers aren't good enough. Full stop. End of. More likely to do a Sheffield Wednesday than a Sunderland, unless we can get a quality scorer and a decent keeper in.
  • Options
    And a decent centre midfielder.

I thought this site was meant to be a forum for debate and different opinions. I've been honest all along that I am not sure what to expect in CCC and am finding it a bit of a culture shock after the Prem. But I'll still be there in the Upper North giving the team all the support I can come the start of the season. I'd rather those who disagree with my opinion on the signings etc just argued back as to why they think I'm wrong, rather than slating 'negativity' and saying we all have to be happy, clappy optimists all the time.
  • Options
    Hey WA,

I don't think anyone is saying we need to be happy etc but i don't think its too much to ask to give everyone a bit of support - especially as we have got no reason to not support them just yet. I don;t think people on here are being overly optimistic either - more realistic of our situation and why support is even more crucial!
  • Options
    i think todorov can play a killer pass and could have some extra quality in that department. i reckon we'll get 1 more striker....sahar or eastwood. only area which worries me now is centre midfield...reckon we need 2 players in there...unless pards wants to keep amady!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]And a decent centre midfielder.

I thought this site was meant to be a forum for debate and different opinions. I've been honest all along that I am not sure what to expect in CCC and am finding it a bit of a culture shock after the Prem. But I'll still be there in the Upper North giving the team all the support I can come the start of the season. I'd rather those who disagree with my opinion on the signings etc just argued back as to why they think I'm wrong, rather than slating 'negativity' and saying we all have to be happy, clappy optimists all the time.

Spot on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite] I'd rather those who disagree with my opinion on the signings etc just argued back as to why they think I'm wrong, rather than slating 'negativity' and saying we all have to be happy, clappy optimists all the time.

Very fair point.

In answer, i think the signings we have made show that these players are genuinely pleased to sign for Charlton, and wanted to come here. Otherwise they would still of been hanging on and trying to get their agents to drum up more business. That's important for me for two reasons.
    1. Its important we get a proper pre-season in with everyone there and gel a real squad mentality and spirit.
    2. Its fair to say that we have signed players in recent years who weren't too bothered about being part of Charlton

Some of these players, like Weaver, i've seen play just a couple of times, others i haven't seen at all. Back Pardew now on his judgement, and then if it it all goes wrong we can have our moan and be able to say 'well we did our bit'.
  • Options
    WA and Cunning Stunt, who would you have liked us to sign instead of who we have?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Back Pardew now on his judgement, and then if it it all goes wrong we can have our moan and be able to say 'well we did our bit'.

Or I told you so???
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]And a decent centre midfielder.

True, all opinions matter, even bearish opinions, but some objectivity wouldn't hurt. It seems that there are too many people ready to knock Pards and every signing he makes and are unduly wallowing in negativity. He's in the process of rebuilding the squad and so far has picked up a number of cheap squad players who are cheap because they either have little experience or are surplus to requirements. There's a way to go before the season starts and a lot of other clubs will be buying players and selling off some that they deem to be surplus to their needs, there'll be a bargain or two out there and so far by picking up free/cheap players moost of our cash is intact.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if that's the case, yes.

Though i am always cynical in life why some people would rather things go wrong and be proved right, than thing's go right and be proved wrong....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]WA and Cunning Stunt, who would you have liked us to sign instead of who we have?

Personally, I would have like 2 strikers of Eastwood and Sharp, plus keeping Lisbie on reduced terms. No Varney, Iwelumo or Todorov for me.

With regards to the defensive signings, McCarthy would be a good addition if we can sell Diawara. If he stays, then McCarthy may prove to be a waste of money.

I think we need a 20 goal a season striker in this division (David Connolly from Sunderland would be my choice, failing that then Ellington now Eastwood is off the market).

Then we need to replace who-ever else leaves (apart from presumably Diawara). If Young goes, we need another right back. If Faye goes we need a ball winning cente midfielder. If Thomas goes then another winger, etc etc etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]if that's the case, yes.

Though i am always cynical in life why some people would rather things go wrong and be proved right, than thing's go right and be proved wrong....

I'm quite happy to be proved wrong. Whipped cream with my humble pie if I am. I just can't see me being proved wrong.
  • Options
    For those who have not seen Todorov play, he is actually quite similar to Andy Hunt in that he is a very neat and tidy centre-forward with great feet and very good movement although he does lack a bit of pace. If he is fit then he will be very hard to leave out of the starting XI because his record with Pompey is very good.

Varney, Iwulemo and Todorov are a very decent front three and if Marcus Bent stays then he might also prove useful once he realises that there ain't no Prem suckers coming in for him.

Cunningstunt makes some reasonable points but is a little harsh on the players concerned. Varney was in a poor Crewe side in the CCC so his record was not great but with better service his pace will be a threat. Iwulemo is not a goalscorer but talking to CCC club fans who have seen him they all say he was a major reason why tiny Colchester overachieved. As for Todorov, well, if he were not a little shop soiled then he would be staying in the Prem but he obviously is up for it or he would not turn down a Prem contract with Pompey.

As for the alternatives, well, Sheringham is now just too old and would only play half the games. Earnshaw DOES score goals BUT his teams generally struggle because they have to carry his poor all round game (he gives the ball away very easily and cannot hold it up). Eastwood, well, he might be the one that got away or he might not, we will have to wait and see. Sharp is no more proven than Varney and has already been released once by the Blades at this level.

If we sign two decent midfielders then we are cooking with gas big style. I am feeling great about this new era and I reckon everyone else should too.
  • Options
    But Sharp has never scored above league 1, and Eastwood you could put down, like Iwelumo, as having a lucky season.

Ellington has a premier league players mindset (mercenary) and has done bugger all at this level since he was with Wigan.

Connoly's best years are behind him, granted he got 13 goals last year in a title winning mackem side.
  • Options
    And I'll be very happy to be proved wrong too - I'd like nothing more than to see Varney and Iwelumo scoring 20 apiece while Weaver keeps clean sheet after clean sheet. I tend to go to matches expecting us to lose, because then it's all the more enjoyable when we don't. I'd hate to be a fan of the top 4 Prem, always expecting your team to win. It doesn't make me less of a supporter.

I have some doubts about Pardew's judgement based on the end of last season - why didn't he use Romm as an impact sub when we needed to turn a game round? Why did he drop Diawara (if Ormiston's right that he wasn't injured)when we were finally looking solid at the back? And Thatcher was always going to see the red mist at some point - it cost us dearly when it happened at Blackburn.

Who would I have liked us to sign? The next Andy Hunt, Clive Mendonca, Dean Kiely, John Robinson, Steve Brown and Mark Kinsella. But maybe we have...we'll wait and see.
  • Options
    And who's to say Luke Varney and Iwelumo won't be the next Hunt & Mendonca. Weaver won't be the next Deano, Christensen won't be the next Robbo. Walton (remember him) won't be the next Kinsella, McCarthy the next Steve Brown?!?!

We haven't even seen any of these players yet!!!!!!

Josh Wright and Harry Arter are yet to get a game too don't forget
  • Options
    I'm with Ledge, poxy negativity this close season is really pissing me off. We're now a Championship side with Championship finances, like it or not we're here for (at least) a season - these signings are merely portraying our position.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]And I'll be very happy to be proved wrong too - I'd like nothing more than to see Varney and Iwelumo scoring 20 apiece while Weaver keeps clean sheet after clean sheet. I tend to go to matches expecting us to lose, because then it's all the more enjoyable when we don't. I'd hate to be a fan of the top 4 Prem, always expecting your team to win. It doesn't make me less of a supporter.

I have some doubts about Pardew's judgement based on the end of last season - why didn't he use Romm as an impact sub when we needed to turn a game round? Why did he drop Diawara (if Ormiston's right that he wasn't injured)when we were finally looking solid at the back? And Thatcher was always going to see the red mist at some point - it cost us dearly when it happened at Blackburn.

Who would I have liked us to sign? The next Andy Hunt, Clive Mendonca, Dean Kiely, John Robinson, Steve Brown and Mark Kinsella. But maybe we have...we'll wait and see.[/quote]

Agree with much of what you say Weegie although Rommedahl was used as an impact sub on many occasions under several managers and....still made no impact. Diawara was definitely not injured for the latter part of the campaign, Pards said that at several PC's which I heard on the OS. Agree about Thatcher though, I have never been convinced by him and although we might well have lost at Ewood anyway his sending off was a disgrace.

I don't mind people not neccesarily being over the moon with our signing but I really get annoyed when people start slating players they have never seen play and have no idea how good or bad they are. I also think its crazy for people to suggest that we are going to finish near the bottom of the CCC when Pardews record and recent history suggests that we will make the Play Offs at the very least.
  • Options
    Happy days....

We have more striking options than last season..

Just because they haven't scored at this level, that level,
    don't mean they won't score does it...

Give em a chance..