Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Todorov - How do we play him ?

Comments

• Options
    Disappointed we missed out on Eastwood, ive got a sneaking suspicion that'll come back to haunt us next season.It's daft that people are writing off Varney already,hes just a kid with a lot of potential, he might take time but i trust Pardew's judgement in signing him.Todorov is a gamble, but thats why we've not paid anything for him, you've gotta remember he's getting on a bit and his injury record will be putting people off, it's arguably his last chance to get into a side that's going somewhere.He's got a lot to prove, but he had an incredible season with Pompey when they went up years ago so the abilitys there.
  • Options
    We bought Darren Bent who had scored 1 goal in the premiership as a sub. He didn't brake the 20 goal mark for Ipswich in the CCC. He came to the premiership for £2.5 million, scored 18 league goals 22 in all competitions. The following season we sold him for £16.5 million. Lets not judge any of these signings.

One thing I would say i'm worried about is that this league is looking increasingly hard to get out of.

Teams who I feel are good promotion candidates are

Us
    Sheffield Utd
    Watford
    Wolves
    Southampton
    WBA
    Preston
    Norwich

Then theres always outsiders like Sheffield Wed, Hull, Palace (dare I say it but they did do it few years back).

I don't think this league is about quality of players as such. More about team spirit and hard work. The players that Pards have signed are all hungry, hard working and have something to prove.

We are going up.

CAFC
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So many are disappointed because so far we haven't signed 'big names' that make you tingle inside with anticipation.

But what Pardew has done - is to bring in mainly young hungry players desperate to make an impact - and a couple of experienced top level pro's with a point to prove.

Those of us who have been around for a few years will remember:
    Derek Hales - signed from Luton for £10,000 - all time Charlton record goalscorer (and sold for £300,000). Legend!
    Mike Flanagan - young Spurs reserve without a goal to his name - signed as free transfer (sold for £600,000) Legend!
    Paddy Powell - signed from non league Barnet for £20,000 to supply the ammunition. Legend!

Okay, it was the 1970's - but still equivalent to today's CCC level.
    All bargain basement players - but young hungry players desperate to make an impact and all became Charlton legends.

And folks, that's how it is done without breaking the bank at CCC level.
    Same as Pards is doing now.
  • Options
    3 great players and true Charlton legends but they never got us promoted to the top flight;-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]3 great players and true Charlton legends but they never got us promoted to the top flight;-(

Welcome back!! ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]3 great players and true Charlton legends but they never got us promoted to the top flight;-(

Maybe they never got us promotion on their own - but we had the most free scoring attack in the division.
  • Options
    where's cunningstunt i'm liking his views and thoughts!! ;-)
  • Options
    the late 70's finishing positions is not what i hope we aspire to.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]the late 70's finishing positions is not what i hope we aspire to.[/quote]

i'll second that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Maybe they never got us promotion on their own - but we had the most free scoring attack in the division.

And the worst defence!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was trying to make the point that in those days there were young hungry players out there.
    We found them, gave them the platform to prove themselves, and they repaid us in goals galore.

And they were coveted by the the top teams of the day.

You may want Pards to sign more Prem paycheck mercenaries - but his aim is to build a hungry team with enough quality
    to be the best at this level.
  • Options
    Trouble is having been out of the league for so long we don't know any of the 'big CCC names' that get others excited... it might be a step down in terms of what we've signed in the past, but they're probably considered 'exciting signings' for other clubs in this division and at our level now.

A Sheff Wed supporter mate dropped me an email along the line of throwing our weight around when we signed Varney and Iwelumo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]where's cunningstunt i'm liking his views and thoughts!! ;-)

Still here :-)
  • Options
    http://uk.youtube.com/results?search_query=todorov

have a copy and paste on that.......
  • Options
    This is the right link:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6RSBWkJIyRo
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite] You may want Pards to sign more Prem paycheck mercenaries - but his aim is to build a hungry team with enough quality to be the best at this level.

I would love to see it, but his signings aren't good enough.

Trust me on this one. Just trust me.
  • Options
    cunningstunt, are you tangoman in disguise???? oggy is spot on with what pards is doing with the squad and this is a squad that hasn't even been fully built yet. it's the start of july ffs. plenty of time yet and it's not like pards is sitting around doing fa. i'm more excited now than i have been for the last 10 years!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite] i'm more excited now than i have been for the last 10 years![/quote]

surely when we were flying high in the premiership with the likes of parker and co on fire that was the most exciting period rather than now ???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]cunningstunt, are you tangoman in disguise???? oggy is spot on with what pards is doing with the squad and this is a squad that hasn't even been fully built yet. it's the start of july ffs. plenty of time yet and it's not like pards is sitting around doing fa. i'm more excited now than i have been for the last 10 years!

No, I'm not tangoman in disguise. Nor am I on a wind up. Merely expressing my insightful views ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite] i'm more excited now than i have been for the last 10 years!

surely when we were flying high in the premiership with the likes of parker and co on fire that was the most exciting period rather than now ???

i loved games like when we stuffed chelsea, but i think we're about to enter a period of excitement with lots of entertaining football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]
    No, I'm not tangoman in disguise. Nor am I on a wind up. Merely expressing my insightful views ;-)

and long may they continue...
    i'm sure cunning will be first to hold his hands up when we win the championship by 10 clear points and i will too to say i'm wrong but come the end of next season if we haven't been promoted how much time will pards have to build 'his team' ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]cunningstunt, are you tangoman in disguise???? oggy is spot on with what pards is doing with the squad and this is a squad that hasn't even been fully built yet. it's the start of july ffs. plenty of time yet and it's not like pards is sitting around doing fa. i'm more excited now than i have been for the last 10 years!

for entertainment value, i just can't fault you ; 0 )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]i'm more excited now than i have been for the last 10 years!

i loved games like when we stuffed chelsea, but i think we're about to enter a period of excitement with lots of entertaining football.

Hate to burst your bubble but Bolton would qualify as exciting in this league ....

Welcome to the fizzy pop pub league. Home of long ball football.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite] You may want Pards to sign more Prem paycheck mercenaries - but his aim is to build a hungry team with enough quality to be the best at this level.[/quote]

I would love to see it, but his signings aren't good enough.

Trust me on this one. Just trust me.[/quote]

Last season we had considerably more money to burn and we still couldn't afford to sign big-name players and established internationals. Then we might have had the money to buy a couple of stars, but we were in no position to afford the £50K a week salary that these players earn. So what makes you think that after relegation and with less money to spend that we are going to be in a better position? Or should we blow the Darren Bent money and go for broke, knowing that if a gamble failed we could be stuck in the CCC for a long time?

Last year's intake included JFH, Traore, Faye, Diawara and Carson, of that lot only Carson was worth the money. The year before we had Bothroyd, Marcus and Darren Bent, the latter a player that every Premiership looked at (apparently) but only Charlton were willing to spend the money Ipswich were looking for.

Whether we like it or not we have to scout around for a few bargains, there is a question mark over whether Todorov will ever be the player he was before injury, but he's free, his wages won't be high and if he comes off the bench and scores and contributes a few goals then the gamble will have paid off. Without a Russian or American billionaire in the boardroom we aren't in a position to sign a whole squad of topclass players, (even West Ham who have a sugar daddy are struggling to land/keep big names) and if we did it would mean blowing the budget on one or two names and that would be pointless because it would leave us weak and understrength in other areas.

In all i trust Pards, he is building not just a team but a squad and if some of these relatively unknown players come off then we have the nucleus of a good side for a number of years and I'd rather that than the Dowie route of bringing in a load of mercanaries who are there for the weekly check. These guys aren't just playing for Charlton but playing to establish, or in Weaver and Todorov's case, re-establish their careers, the likes of JFH were around for one last decent pay day, and isn't it telling that no team has snapped him up, despite him being a free agent for a couple of months?
  • Options

and long may they continue...
    i'm sure cunning will be first to hold his hands up when we win the championship by 10 clear points and i will too to say i'm wrong but come the end of next season if we haven't been promoted how much time will pards have to build 'his team' ;-)

If charlton win the league by 10 clear points I will personally tongue every Lifers bumhole with the word "numpty" scrawled across my head in lipstick. Likewise, if any of our fantastic new strikers manage that 20 goal figure.

If come the end of next season we haven't been promoted, then I fully expect humble apologies from everyone here, telling me how great I am.
  • Options
    I am not about to laud the signings nor slate them. I am going to go and watch Charlton play, support them and see if over a reasonable number of games the players can gel together to become a decent team.
  • Options
    with sam, reid, christensen, ambrose and possibly thomas around, on the last game of the season we'll be singing it's just like watching Brazil just before we lift the ccc trophy!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]I am not about to laud the signings nor slate them. I am going to go and watch Charlton play, support them and see if over a reasonable number of games the players can gel together to become a decent team.

There's always one sensible one ......
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]i'm more excited now than i have been for the last 10 years![/quote]

surely when we were flying high in the premiership with the likes of parker and co on fire that was the most exciting period rather than now ???[/quote]

i loved games like when we stuffed chelsea, but i think we're about to enter a period of excitement with lots of entertaining football.[/quote]

Hate to burst your bubble but Bolton would qualify as exciting in this league ....

Welcome to the fizzy pop pub league. Home of long ball football.[/quote]

Go and get a season ticket at Spurs then, they are signing Premiership players...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]i'm more excited now than i have been for the last 10 years!

Welcome to the fizzy pop pub league. Home of long ball football.

Go and get a season ticket at Spurs then, they are signing Premiership players...

Your totally missing the point. I was merely pointing out that this league isn't going to be as much fun as people think (footballing wise at least).