Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

Comments

• It's difficult, every solution is unfair to someone.
  • Rothko said:
    In that link they say the season can go on indefinitely beyond June 1st, but I think they will encounter issues still.

As I said previously 2 key players for us Taylor and Cullen wont be with us after June 30th, so if season is still ongoing then we lose 2 key players in our relegation fight, plus other out of contract players, all those players would have been available had the season been completed on time but suddenly are not available and put us in a worse position when we need them the most.

I dont see how they can carry the season on after players contracts expire and clubs like us are in a worse position and unfairly disadvantaged 
    I guess responsible owners would extend contracts and sign new players, but we don't have one of those.
  • Maybe Lewis Page will finally be fit, only to find out he's out of contract and can't play for us. 
  • Rothko said:
    In that link they say the season can go on indefinitely beyond June 1st, but I think they will encounter issues still.

As I said previously 2 key players for us Taylor and Cullen wont be with us after June 30th, so if season is still ongoing then we lose 2 key players in our relegation fight, plus other out of contract players, all those players would have been available had the season been completed on time but suddenly are not available and put us in a worse position when we need them the most.

I dont see how they can carry the season on after players contracts expire and clubs like us are in a worse position and unfairly disadvantaged 
    I guess responsible owners would extend contracts and sign new players, but we don't have one of those.
    Cullen is a loan and yes we could have signed Taylor by now but no matter who the owner was he could have waited till the summer(like he did at AFC Wimbledon) and we would still he in a position were we would be losing put best 2 players for a relegation battle, it wouldnt normally matter because the season should be done and dusted by the time they both leave
  • Maybe Lewis Page will finally be fit, only to find out he's out of contract and can't play for us. 
    A mutually acceptable one month extension of contract would put him in the shop window.

• Rothko said:

Cullen is a loan and yes we could have signed Taylor by now but no matter who the owner was he could have waited till the summer(like he did at AFC Wimbledon) and we would still he in a position were we would be losing put best 2 players for a relegation battle, it wouldnt normally matter because the season should be done and dusted by the time they both leave
    No problem, the transfer window opens mid May. 
  • It's the same for all teams. West Ham would also be playing, so unless they want Cullen back it should be possible to extend the loan.
    Personally I'm glad to see that the clubs are saying that the season should be completed, regardless. Whether this is possible or not is debatable.
  • Personally, I would just can the season now. If they started again on 1 May or even 1 June (if indeed that becomes possible), it would feel to me like the start of a 9 game mini-season, completely detached from what had gone on before.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:

This. All well and good finishing the season but as far as I'm aware no one has actually come up with a solution to the problem of contracts expiring. I guess the EFL/ FA could allow short term extensions but you can't force players to sign them. 
  • Rothko said:

Simon Jordan was discussing the issue of contracts running out with LB on Talksport earlier this  week. He said that the football authorities could put in a special clause & just re-write them to July 31st.
  • Rothko said:

Simon Jordan was discussing the issue of contracts running out with LB on Talksport earlier this  week. He said that the football authorities could put in a special clause & just re-write them to July 31st.
    Firstly thats hoping the season ends by July 31st which there isnt a guarantee it will.

Secondly the authorities cant just suddenly put in a special clause and re-write contracts, surely that goes against Employment Law
  • It feels like it's been extended to April 30th so between then and June 30th is the absolute last chance of Man City being able to squeeze in potentially up to 19 games in the space of 62 days (a game every 3.2 days at best)

As Paulie says above, there's no way the season can go on beyond then for a number of reasons, but in particular because pre-season training for 20/21 would usually start at the beginning of July so any further delay would mean you're impacting two seasons instead of one and with probably very little wriggle room too given that Euro 2021 has to be played at the end of next season.

And unless players, coaches, managers are kept in isolation permanently outside of training I see no way how even playing behind closed doors can work either.

By all means football should try to resume and finish in that two month period but if it can't restart by April 30th you have to then look at either making the season null and void or declare the 19/20 standings final with automatic promotion only for the top two with no relegations.
  • edited March 2020
    So, Boris reckons we can turn the tide in 12 weeks. That takes us to mid June and, presumably if that’s the turning point  there will be a wind down on new cases over a couple of months  and a waiting period of say one month to reasonably safely say it’s all clear. That would take us until mid September best case scenario...if we can believe Boris...

this season is over and out....
  • Can we just agree that whatever happens it will be to a disadvantage for Charlton?

We are what the "barrel of tits" joke was created for.
  • Just seen the email from the club and the postponement of fixtures inc Millwall with the season deadline extended indefinitely...slowly getting there 
  • don't see why next season can't be delayed, can make room by getting rid of cups and/or European football and/or international fixtures
  • Maybe scrap next season rather than this season.
    so we’ve got to fit in 9/10 games before the end of May 2021.

Somewhat tongue in cheek but at least that seems achievable. Not much else does right now.
    Looking more like a reasonable outcome day by day.

They've just made Euro2020 into Euro2021 so the season can’t finish late next year, unless they push the Euros again. So that rules out next season starting too late.

obviously we all hope the virus can be under control sooner rather than later but if we’re still avoiding mass gatherings or sporting events come the end of the summer!?!?
    it’ll then be unavoidable to make serious amendments to next season, if they insist on completing this one first.
  • Sponsored links:

• Re contracts, obviously an incredibly awkward situation but I was listening to Andy Brassell the other day talking about the Portuguese league.

They have, in the leagues rules something along the lines of, if a season is delayed from being completed all contracts can be unilaterally extended until such a time that the league is complete, then players become free agents.

Obviously it would take some flexibility from all parties but I wonder if the FA could change registration windows. For example if the league is to be completed in July/August, change the registration/transfer window to September/October for 1 season. 
    So any player out of contract in June can’t sign for a new club until September anyway, even if the wanted to. Then make it easy for players to extend current contracts for 3 months.
    lots of legal issues and rule changes required but there is no perfect solution.
  • The last thing we want is an extended season when we are in bottom three.  Null and void please.
  • 12 weeks from now takes us to mid June, that's forgetting any reoccurrence or outbreak from opening up travel across the globe, players will also need to stay fit. At this moment I don't see it happening 
  • Re contracts, obviously an incredibly awkward situation but I was listening to Andy Brassell the other day talking about the Portuguese league.

They have, in the leagues rules something along the lines of, if a season is delayed from being completed all contracts can be unilaterally extended until such a time that the league is complete, then players become free agents.

Obviously it would take some flexibility from all parties but I wonder if the FA could change registration windows. For example if the league is to be completed in July/August, change the registration/transfer window to September/October for 1 season. 
    So any player out of contract in June can’t sign for a new club until September anyway, even if the wanted to. Then make it easy for players to extend current contracts for 3 months.
    lots of legal issues and rule changes required but there is no perfect solution.
    Thank gawd someone else feels it’s possible.

As for next season, if it starts in say November then just play 23 games, play each other only once and then it can finish in time for Euro 2021. Needs must. As long as it’s the same for everyone and a level playing field I don’t see the problem.
  • edited March 2020
    My initial thoughts were to scrap this season and start fresh next season but think about it like this....one of the next two seasons needs either changing or not happen at all. Surely it’s better to change/cancel a season that hasn’t started yet rather than one that’s 70% done.
  • I've just had an idea ..... re-start the season on 1st September, play the remaining 9 games, no relegation from the Championship :wink:
    with the playoffs the last 2 weeks of October. 

Player contracts get sorted from 1st November, the transfer window opens for a month, post-season training starts until the first League fixture on Boxing Day - each Division is in the form of the Johnson Paint Trophy: 3 mini Leagues of 8 teams, play home & away, to be completed by April 1st 2021.

The top team of each mini-division get promoted; each bottom team gets relegated.

As compensation, the runners up of each mini-division qualify to play in the once again prestigious FA Cup commencing Good Friday, with the Cup Final at Wembley on the May Day Monday Bank Holiday.

Everyone thinks, "We did it, we finished last season and this one too. Teams gets promoted and relegated - and someone gets to win the FA Cup.
    And the Euros start on time.

Genius, eh? :smile::smile::smile:

As for next season, if it starts in say November then just play 23 games, play each other only once and then it can finish in time for Euro 2021. Needs must. As long as it’s the same for everyone and a level playing field I don’t see the problem.
    Not digging at you Large, I understand the want to finish the season but I just don't see how this works.

If you model it on this season's fixtures we would have played Barnsley, Luton and Wigan all away from home and amassed 1 point in total. In the home games we have taken 6 points and still got Wigan at home to play. If we only played 23 games next season you could find a similar scenario where a club doesn't feel it's fair because had they played those teams at home they could have missed out on 8-9 points which could be the difference between staying up or not if somebody else played them all at home.

Not digging at you Large, I understand the want to finish the season but I just don't see how this works.

If you model it on this season's fixtures we would have played Barnsley, Luton and Wigan all away from home and amassed 1 point in total. In the home games we have taken 6 points and still got Wigan at home to play. If we only played 23 games next season you could find a similar scenario where a club doesn't feel it's fair because had they played those teams at home they could have missed out on 8-9 points which could be the difference between staying up or not if somebody else played them all at home.
    But that’s the luck of the draw as they say. Or you divide the league in two depending where you finish this season and play everyone home and away then have play offs or something. I don’t have the actual answers but I just don’t agree with this ‘ooh it can’t be done’ attitude from some. This is an unique set of circumstances which means they will have to find a one off solution. It can be done.
  • Get one fan from each club and have a crossbar challenge tournament to decide promotion and relegation. Fairest and most entertaining way of deciding everyone's fate.