Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I think this season will be null and void - sorry Liverpool.

I wonder if Bolton will start on minus points again...? 
    In my opinion Bolton should start on minus points again, everything should start in August (if it can) exactly how we started last August which includes no clubs replacing Bury

Trouble is; Bolton's squad is now stronger compared to the one that started last season

You'd fully expect them make up the -12 deduction a lot easier this time around which is going to be unfair for the clubs this season

Unfortunately apart being able to continue the season there is no scenario where EVERY club comes out of this with an advantage

- Make it null and void and its harsh on the teams at the top
     - Declare the current positions the finishing slots and its unfair on those at the bottom

The quicker the Footballing authorities realise that, grow a pair and actually make a decision will mean we can all move on a lot sooner!!
  • Options
    If all the top leagues in Europe decide to abandon this season the premier league will have to follow suit. Basically the main leagues in Europe will decide together how to proceed and the rest will have to follow. 
    As much as id like to to think we will follow, i just dont think the Premier League clubs give a toss about what Europe do. The main difference is the amount of money involved in the Prem. 
    the top clubs get as much from Europe as they do from the PL. we will do the same as the rest of Europe. Italy and Spain are at least 4/5 months from restarting their league. Football is the least of their worries. It will all be a joint decision.  
    But West Brom could argue rightly that they will miss out on millions if they are not promoted to the Prem coz the season is abandoned. Then where does it stop? You cant compare Italian football with English.
    I do hope you are right btw, me personally i dont see it happening.
    West Brom and Leeds could get promoted by invitation and we could have a 22 team league. By using the term invitation means that Fulham and the other teams at the top of the championship can’t sue. We have to remember it’s different organisations.
  • Options
    I think this season will be null and void - sorry Liverpool.

I wonder if Bolton will start on minus points again...? 
    In my opinion Bolton should start on minus points again, everything should start in August (if it can) exactly how we started last August which includes no clubs replacing Bury

Trouble is; Bolton's squad is now stronger compared to the one that started last season

You'd fully expect them make up the -12 deduction a lot easier this time around which is going to be unfair for the clubs this season

Unfortunately apart being able to continue the season there is no scenario where EVERY club comes out of this with an advantage

- Make it null and void and its harsh on the teams at the top
     - Declare the current positions the finishing slots and its unfair on those at the bottom

The quicker the Footballing authorities realise that, grow a pair and actually make a decision will mean we can all move on a lot sooner!!
    It's pointless for the authorities to make a decision now, as we don't know when football can return, and that will affect the decision. If we end up in, you'd hope, the worst case scenario of no football until next February say, then  the logical thing would be to continue this season rather than starting another one which can't be finished.
  • Options
    Promote 2 from each league and no relegations.

Next two years have four clubs relegated from each league.

Cross your fingers this is all over by the summer and we can go again afresh.
  • Options
    Finish the season.
    Surely anything else other clubs will go to court
  • Options
    Finishing the season is the obvious only option acceptable to all teams. I don’t think that will be possible so the next best option will be to abandon the whole season and start again next season. It seems most fair to all, especially as none of the promotion or relegation issues have been determined. Ultimately, the biggest loser is likely to be Liverpool.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    clb74 said:
    Finish the season.
    Surely anything else other clubs will go to court
    But that may not be possible if there is no football for the next couple of months.

If the season is null and void with everyone starting next season in the sane league as they are now I dont see how any club could go to court as nothing is mathematically possible they wouldn't have a leg to stand on, Leeds cant go to court amd say they would definitely win promotion for instance as they dropped a massive lead earlier in the season so they could again.

The only team that could possibly is Liverpool because although not mathematically certain I think everyone knows they have won the league.

The issue with playing in a few months time IMO is contracts for instance we wont have Taylor or Cullen so that puts us at a disadvantage for the last 9 games straight away, a disadvantage we wouldnt have had if they league hadnt been suspended.

I just dont see any other viable solution other than Null and Void and everyone remains in the same league 
  • Options
    I would rather the season finishes even if it means running a shorter season next time round. Liverpool have to be declared champions - it would be farcical if they are not. 

Even if we run straight in to next season but schedule in a long mid season break to allow the players a rest 
  • Options
    Why is playing behind closed doors being discussed as an option?

Players, coaches and staff are just as likely as the paying public to get the virus it's all or nothing and there's no way this is blowing over any time soon. There's no way the season can finish by June either no chance.

We might even be lucky if 20/21 starts on time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Players, coaches and staff are just as likely as the paying public to get the virus it's all or nothing and there's no way this is blowing over any time soon. There's no way the season can finish by June either no chance.

Because a small number of staff can be more effectively protected that 20000 people and the consequences are less serious.
  • Options

Because a small number of staff can be more effectively protected that 20000 people and the consequences are less serious.
    Yet it was Arteta catching coronavirus which effectively brought the season to a standstill.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    seth plum said:
    Are behind closed doors games a completely stupid idea?
    It's a good point.

I think it comes down to whether these games "count" or not. I mean, what's the point of football - to be an entertainment spectacle or just to get games played? Unprecedented times, I know, but what's actually important here? Fair play or the league ticking boxes by fulfilling fixtures? Who's important, the fans or the sponsors/TV companies?

Time will tel;.
  • Options

Yet it was Arteta catching coronavirus which effectively brought the season to a standstill.
    I think it was the risk of large gatherings that brought the season to a standstill.  I think Arteta catching the virus was a related news story.
  • Options

I think it was the risk of large gatherings that brought the season to a standstill.  I think Arteta catching the virus was a related news story.
    They voted to postpone games before any government announcement. Have the government even banned large gatherings yet?

I think once Arsenal had to postpone their game at Man City and both their squad along with Chelsea (after Hudson-Odoi caught it) and Leicester, the league knew that they had to call off all games.
  • Options
    If there is to be a long break without football and it is to impact on next season I think they should play this season to a finish.  That would be fairer.

Ultimately though I think this season will be voided.
  • Options

They voted to postpone games before any government announcement. Have the government even banned large gatherings yet?

I think once Arsenal had to postpone their game at Man City and both their squad along with Chelsea (after Hudson-Odoi caught it) and Leicester, the league knew that they had to call off all games.

If the government are banning large gatherings perhaps the spanners can fulfil their home games.
  • Options
    Void season - make the first 9/10 games of the new season the ones that aren’t being played. No relegation, but Premier League title and Champions league places based on these 9 games that now apply to both seasons. Maybe, use a handicap system ( if WestBrom finish 9 points clear that have a handicap of -9 ).
  • Options
    Slightly off topic I know but it seems obvious to me things aren't going to get back to normal for some time. 

The effect this is having on many self employed people and those working in the transport, hospitality and leisure is already becoming clear. But there is one group of people in the leisure industry who once again seem cocooned in a bubble. Professional footballers. 

It is clear already many businesses will not survive this closure. It seems inevitable some professional football clubs will be amongst them. Wouldn't it be nice if the players said to their clubs we know you are in trouble, just pay us 25% or whatever of our wages. Or if the top players said  I'm giving a weeks wages to a hardship fund for those who find themselves through no fault of their own in financial trouble? 

Doubt it will happen. No doubt the PFA will insist players are paid in full even if it means clubs going broke. And who can see many of the self- obsessed superstars even considering giving up some of their salary? 
  • Options
    Slightly off topic I know but it seems obvious to me things aren't going to get back to normal for some time. 

The effect this is having on many self employed people and those working in the transport, hospitality and leisure is already becoming clear. But there is one group of people in the leisure industry who once again seem cocooned in a bubble. Professional footballers. 

It is clear already many businesses will not survive this closure. It seems inevitable some professional football clubs will be amongst them. Wouldn't it be nice if the players said to their clubs we know you are in trouble, just pay us 25% or whatever of our wages. Or if the top players said  I'm giving a weeks wages to a hardship fund for those who find themselves through no fault of their own in financial trouble? 

Doubt it will happen. No doubt the PFA will insist players are paid in full even if it means clubs going broke. And who can see many of the self- obsessed superstars even considering giving up some of their salary? 
    I think you'll see this happen at some top premier league clubs but lower down the leagues the players won't be able to afford it as they also have bills and mortgages etc like every day folk.

It's happened now in the NBA with some higher profile players and team owners contributing towards the wages of stadium workers who are obviously out of work during the season shutdown. And NBA teams play every 2-3 days so the lockdown means a lot of missed games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Premier League and EFL set the standard when they postponed the league. I can’t see how they can now play behind closed doors to finish the season when that option was not taken at the start.

As many have said the players are at risk of illness as well. Matches behind closed doors would be a total kick in the nuts to the fans and a big risk as many will be getting used to not going and may well think ‘they don’t give a f@@k about the fans’ so why should I bother with them. I have been going for over 40 years and would honestly fall into that bracket. 

I also imagine the clubs will be thinking once this has finished people will be so glad to get out that attendances will rocket and some of the losses can be clawed back. Although, I could be totally wrong and in addition I can’t see anyone playing before start of June.

for what it is worth I would finish the season  it can then have a month break before starting the next season at Which time the number of games, rules etc can be determined depending on when it is so people are aware of this before it starts and this can then be finished mid May 20-21 and everyone is aware of what the season will entail. 

I know they are issues with players being out of contract but I don’t see how you get around this other than making a rule that players can sign for another club but cannot play for them until the new season starts. Yes we will be effected by this but it will show the true colours of the players and their lack of loyalty to a club that had paid and supported them during this period of uncertainty. 

The season was started so it should finish, if we get relegated after 46 games so be it we finished bottom 3 we deserve to go down, if they finish it now and say bottom 3 go down the we are rightly going to be peed off and say it’s not fair as season hasn’t been fully completed. We could have gone on a runs and finished out of the relegation zone. 

Whatever happens we won’t have a say in it and the main thing is once the football restarts we have a club to watch with these clowns running the club who knows.......
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I think it would be helpful to clubs to know where they stand a.s.a.p. This should be possible. The Leagues will know the cut of date where the leagues can't be completed. Tell clubs if there is no football before this date that what will happen so they can plan for that. Also if you say told West Brom now that he season will be voided, this is a good time, because it is going to look bad if they jump up and down and threaten to sue and it is still subject to no football being played which is looking likely but not certain.
  • Options
    The end of this season will make historical stats so messy
  • Options
    I'd probably prefer to just read about our home defeat to Millwall rather than have to sit there and suffer it
    After the game, to make it as realistic as possible, will the Charlton players be kept behind in the dressing room until the Millwall players have dispersed?
  • Options
    They have to find a way to finish the season before the end of June or they will run into 
  • Options
    Now Euro 2020 has been moved to Euro 2021 this means that next season's league season must start and finish on time in order for Euro 2021 to go ahead.

So not sure how you can finish the current season if it can't finish by the end of June which personally I don't see happening.
  • Options
    Now Euro 2020 has been moved to Euro 2021 this means that next season's league season must start and finish on time in order for Euro 2021 to go ahead.

So not sure how you can finish the current season if it can't finish by the end of June which personally I don't see happening.
    If it doesn't finish before end of June you're running into player contracts ending, which of course would be as problematic for us as anyone.

I think they have to try to find a way to finish the season, even if behind closed doors. Even if it means using more midweek fixtures next season and compressing it.

Can you imagine the legal challenges if teams are denied promotion or relegated before the season ends? 
  • Options
    rikofold said:

If it doesn't finish before end of June you're running into player contracts ending, which of course would be as problematic for us as anyone.

I think they have to try to find a way to finish the season, even if behind closed doors. Even if it means using more midweek fixtures next season and compressing it.

Can you imagine the legal challenges if teams are denied promotion or relegated before the season ends? 
    Agreed one way or another this season needs resolving by the end of June whether cancelled or completed.

I just don't see playing behind closed doors as an option as players, coaches, managers, staff are all as likely as the general public to catch the virus so for me it's all or nothing you either play in front of crowds because the virus has gone or you don't play at all and I can't see the virus being gone by then.

I can only see legal issues being a problem if teams are relegated with the season being incomplete and for that reason I don't see relegation happening for anyone. No harm in promoting teams though if like Leeds and West Brom there is daylight between the top two and the rest.

Whatever scenario happens someone will threaten legal action over something so it's about coming to the most common sense decision.