Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

Comments

• PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:
    I would can the play offs, I know it’s sounds self serving, but I think we’ll end up with the tables being locked at where they are, and the teams in automatic spots go up, with the required numbers coming down, other then the Premier League 
    Would be ridiculous to lock the tables as they are. How can teams be relegated without completing the season?
    Or indeed not promoted if they had every chance of catching the teams above?
  • I honestly can't see the promotion/relegation based on this season's results as viable.

It's either completed at a later date or it's voided from the season's inception.
  • edited March 2020
    It can't be. The only justification would be if you were already relegated or promoted. Not even Liverpool can claim to be mathematically Champions and Bolton are not mathematically relegated yet! There is a question about this season's points deduction and I would imagine they would have to be in place next season.
  • Rothko said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:
    I would can the play offs, I know it’s sounds self serving, but I think we’ll end up with the tables being locked at where they are, and the teams in automatic spots go up, with the required numbers coming down, other then the Premier League 
    Would be ridiculous to lock the tables as they are. How can teams be relegated without completing the season?
    I didn't think it through, promotion fine, relegation less so, but only 2 up and no one down. 
    I think that what you are suggesting will be the most likely of the three options on the table, two promoted (three in league two) with no relegations.

The other two being the whole season declared null and void (same teams next season) or the season resumes in a few months and completes before the end of June (with the Euros being cancelled/postponed). It cannot go beyond June as many players will be out of contract.
  • If the season is declared null and void, my guess is Bolton will get their points deduction added next season. What about Bury? A reprise? 
  • PopIcon said:
    If the season is declared null and void, my guess is Bolton will get their points deduction added next season. What about Bury? A reprise? 
    I raised those yesterday but no-one seems to have a bloody clue how it cold be resolved!
  • Will Roland have to come back?
  • Will we have to resign joe.ledley?
  • Maybe we could void the season but carry the points forward (with an adjustment where teams have played fewer games)

That way Liverpool don't get given the title BUT have a massive headstart which seems fair
  • Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:
    If the season is declared null and void, my guess is Bolton will get their points deduction added next season. What about Bury? A reprise? 
    I raised those yesterday but no-one seems to have a bloody clue how it cold be resolved!
    If there is no relegation then a point deduction is irrelevant.

There may be an argument if it was mathematically impossible for them stay up, but it isn't. I wouldn't say it's similar to the Liverpool situation.
  • edited March 2020
    After the PM’s update on new measures an hour ago I think it is safe to assume football will not be recommencing any time in the near future. The football authorities have some hard decisions to make.
    This. Never mind finishing this season, they may not even be starting next season.
  • After the PM’s update on new measures an hour ago I think it is safe to assume football will not be recommencing any time in the near future. The football authorities have some hard decisions to make.
    This. Never mind finishing this season, they may not even be starting next season.
    Spot on. My thoughts exactly. Time for the authorities to stop the pretense there is any chance of football resuming for a considerable time.
  • To be fair it's an impossible situation for all sports administrators as nobody knows whether this is a 2 month, 6 month or longer pause. 
  • After the PM’s update on new measures an hour ago I think it is safe to assume football will not be recommencing any time in the near future. The football authorities have some hard decisions to make.
    Could well be 
  • So the EFL has to make decisions on how the season pans out, decide on penalties for Wednesday and Derby, then opine on our situation. 

Hope they are not all working from home. 
  • Are behind closed doors games a completely stupid idea?
  • Was told earlier that a Premier League representative stated today that the season would not be cancelled.
  • seth plum said:
    Are behind closed doors games a completely stupid idea?
    Pretty much. Football is a spectator sport and that's where a large part of the home advantage comes from.

The problem is, although there won't be anyone inside the ground there'll probably be a large gathering outside ... and that rather defeats the object of the exercise.

Can you imagine Liverpool attempting to clinch the league title and their fans not attempting to be part of it in some way? Try keeping Leeds fans away from the moment that they [return to the top flight]/[f*** it all up again] (delete as appropriate).
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    The health of the players will be a concern, plus any necessary staff who have to be there medical, security etc plus all the TV crew...
  • seth plum said:
    The health of the players will be a concern, plus any necessary staff who have to be there medical, security etc plus all the TV crew...
    And then the fans that will turn up and cheer from the car park 
  • Also 20/21 season has a winter break at moment along with EFL i think that was the understanding.
  • If all the top leagues in Europe decide to abandon this season the premier league will have to follow suit. Basically the main leagues in Europe will decide together how to proceed and the rest will have to follow. 
  • 801912601 said:
    Was told earlier that a Premier League representative stated today that the season would not be cancelled.
    Then he is either the biggest optimist in the world at the moment or an idiot. I know which one my money is on.
  • I think this season will be null and void - sorry Liverpool.

I wonder if Bolton will start on minus points again...? 
  • 801912601 said:
    Was told earlier that a Premier League representative stated today that the season would not be cancelled.
    Yeah, they might well be thinking that right now, if Sky want a big wedge of their TV rights money returned, as the contract won't have been fulfilled.

But if we go past 30th June and the season hasn't been able to restart, then the Premier League might have to think again. Especially if the Government have the country on lockdown.

• If all the top leagues in Europe decide to abandon this season the premier league will have to follow suit. Basically the main leagues in Europe will decide together how to proceed and the rest will have to follow. 
    As much as id like to to think we will follow, i just dont think the Premier League clubs give a toss about what Europe do. The main difference is the amount of money involved in the Prem. 
    As much as id like to to think we will follow, i just dont think the Premier League clubs give a toss about what Europe do. The main difference is the amount of money involved in the Prem. 
    the top clubs get as much from Europe as they do from the PL. we will do the same as the rest of Europe. Italy and Spain are at least 4/5 months from restarting their league. Football is the least of their worries. It will all be a joint decision.  
    the top clubs get as much from Europe as they do from the PL. we will do the same as the rest of Europe. Italy and Spain are at least 4/5 months from restarting their league. Football is the least of their worries. It will all be a joint decision.  
    But West Brom could argue rightly that they will miss out on millions if they are not promoted to the Prem coz the season is abandoned. Then where does it stop? You cant compare Italian football with English.
    I do hope you are right btw, me personally i dont see it happening.